Recommendation? Looking for a food safe pivot lubricant

Anyone have any recommendations for a food safe lube that works well for folding knife pivots? The one I have right now is way too thick and the action isn't that great with it. It's ok-ish at first, but then it just gets worse rapidly. I'm not *necessarily* looking for something thinner in viscosity, but something that gives a nice, slick/smooth action and that will stay consistently smooth for awhile. I have some knives on bearings, some on washers, so if you use/recommend different for each, hit me with both. Recommendations for what to get as well as where to get it from would be tremendously appreciated. Also, if you have any specifics regarding why exactly you like them, I'd be interested to hear your perspectives on that, as well. Thanks in advance, guys!

The slipperiest stuff I found is called Go-Juice and they make a really thin grease and oil,I use the oil myself and it works great and I have also tried many other oil's pretty much almost anything you can name I have tried.

The Go-Juice oil is so slick you can feel a big difference and you do not need to take the knife apart to use it I just use a micro oilier bottle I got from ebay,the Go-Juice Grease is the thinnest grease made it is rated at 0000 where the next thinnest grease's are rated at 000,the more zero's it has in the number the lower it's rated at.

If you look on youtube you can find some of their video's online,you only need about 2 drop's down each side of the blade and then 1 drop each time you re-oil the knife.

Food safe mineral oil.
Food safe silicone (great for preventing rust too, without being messy... probably better at preventing rust than as a lubricant).

Lubriplate makes food safe oils and greases.
Superlube is food safe supposedly.

If there are any meat cutting plants, or maybe even your local butcher, you could ask what they use on their cutting machines.

I use cherry balmz gun lube, its a thin sauce like consistency grease, feels super slick, much more then any oil, and it stays forever. A thinner oil might produce less friction but you can feel little grittiness during movement, with this stuff it feels like surfaces on butter. I havent tried it but the ALG go juice and grease is supposed to be similar. I believe cherry balmz is like the alg light grease then the go juice. I read that the alg grease has something in it that is a bit toxic, the other one is fine thought. If you want a very light oil Slip 2000 gun oil is very good but might move around eventually. The stuff Ive found is the least smooth are the basic clp's and tacky red grease

The slipperiest stuff I found is called Go-Juice and they make a really thin grease and oil,I use the oil myself and it works great and I have also tried many other oil's pretty much almost anything you can name I have tried.

The Go-Juice oil is so slick you can feel a big difference and you do not need to take the knife apart to use it I just use a micro oilier bottle I got from ebay,the Go-Juice Grease is the thinnest grease made it is rated at 0000 where the next thinnest grease's are rated at 000,the more zero's it has in the number the lower it's rated at.

If you look on youtube you can find some of their video's online,you only need about 2 drop's down each side of the blade and then 1 drop each time you re-oil the knife.
Which gives a nicer action the go juice or the grease? By the way careful with the grease its not supposed to be the safest. Cherry balmz did the same type of thing for me as you're saying go juice does with the slipperiness. Ill have to compare them to see which I like more. Imo these very thin greases are the way to go, more companies need to make lube in this consistency.

I like the oil better because I can re-lube the knife without taking it apart and in my opinion it gives the knife a really smooth feel as well.

A bottle of the oil will last you a very longtime as you only need a drop down each side of the blade and 2 drop's at max.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner I don't check in at the forum as much as I used to and for some reason I'm not getting email's to let me know when I have been quoted or have a new message.

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! I watched some videos on Go Juice oil and grease and decided to give the oil a try, so I ordered some. It looks great, I saw it tested down to like 5 or 10 below 0 and it hardly changed consistency. Not that freezing temperatures are my primary concern, but it's a neat indicator of its abilities. I more hope it actually retains its lubricity (I didn't think that was actually a word, but my phone recognizes it lol) as long as it says it does, which sounds like awhile. A guy in another video even said it somehow managed to collect less particulate and dust than other products. Unfortunately, though, they're apparently sold out from Black Friday weekend, so I won't be getting it for another like 3-5 weeks (they said 4-6, but I ordered it almost a week ago at this point). So I think I'm going to pickup some mineral oil and give that a shot for now to see how it works, if for nothing other than a comparison when I do finally get the Go Juice.

Food can get trapped in the pivot and contaminate what your eating and give you some very nasty stuff. Fixed blades work best for food duty for the ease of cleaning. If you must use a folder flush it out as best you can and clean it with soap and water preferably before and after use.

Food can get trapped in the pivot and contaminate what your eating and give you some very nasty stuff. Fixed blades work best for food duty for the ease of cleaning. If you must use a folder flush it out as best you can and clean it with soap and water preferably before and after use.

Oh, yes, if I were doing frequent food prep, I'd go with a fixed blade. I work at a place that handles various foods and often use my knife to open certain types of packaging, so it's more just an extra precautionary thing than a sort of necessity. But I also sometimes use my EDC blade just for cutting apples or other foods for myself, and I'd just rather go with a food safe lube because, well, why not? But I agree, fixed blade would be the way to go for dedicated food prep, no question.

I have tried the frog lube and it's not as good as Go-Juice and the frog lube makes a greasy mess and it will not run in between the washers as easy.

I agree. It does work great to clean a blade though .

agreed as well, frog lube is terrible lube, it is nice to have around though for corrosion resistance or making a rough piece of metal feel smoother by only heating the part and letting it soak in, never leave froglube on the surface of the metal like a lube.

Is go juice food safe?

Sometimes I use my pocket knife to cut fruit, or steaks, or whatever that needed to be portioned.

Back