Looking for a hunting knife for my grandson....

I'm want to buy a hunting knife for my grandson for Christmas.

I need one in 7-8 oal with a sheath in the $50-$60 price range. I want to keep the blade thickness to .125 or less. Nothing made in China.

I spent at least an hour on the KW site tonite and couldn't find anything I liked.

Any suggestions.

Mr. clockman, do you have specific taste on steel type, tang type...etc?
IMO Buck 119 is a good option in this price range. Also, as larson1122 said Byck 102 is fine, too. For hunting, you can't go wrong with time-tested Buck line. And Made in USA with 4ever warranty :D.
You can also look at Case Hunter serie, too. Just like Buck knives, Case knives are time-tested products with excellent performance.

Stainless steel is great for food prep, big or small games, fishing... and weather-proofed.

Buck PakLite (Orange Traction Coating) 3" Skinner Knife
spd_20130517101338_b.JPG

spd_20130517101245_b.JPG

Blade Length: 3"
Blade Steel: 420HC steel
Blade Thickness: 0.150"
Overall Length: 6.75" overall
Weight: 2.5 oz.
Handle Material: 420HC steel with orange traction coating
Sheath: Heavy-duty nylon
Made in the USA

there's even a 3 1/2" model.
i like the design and you can't fault a buck...

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
These are all MSRP prices. Do some shopping and likely find nice reduction in price.

I like this. I like Kershaw knives. Their Cutomer Service is known to be excellent...not that he'll need it.
Orange color is great. Good steel; good grip. Nice blade design.
http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/skinning-knife-or

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/mini-skinner
a slightly smaller 2" blade. Perhaps good for smaller folks.

http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/antelope-hunter-ii
longer blade, good finger stability

I would suggest keeping it, as you've said, to a 3" blade and 3.5-4" handle. You need a little bit of blade thickness, as most kids will use the knife for a pry-bar sooner or later.

My grandson has seven or eight knives, all folding knives, I believe. He got his first one at age 8. He's ten now, I think.
I just bought the Ontario Rat II, and will likely give it to him soon. Here is the link...
http://www.knifeworks.com/ontarioratmodelii3insatinbladeorangenylonhandleskinfeworksexclusive.aspx

Merry Christmas...
Don

22-rimfire

Gold Member
I would suggest the Kabar Becker BK-16 (4" blade) or the BK-14. I really like the BK-16 for an all purpose knife and the drop point style makes it more useful for a hunting knife. Great knife!

The Kabar Dozier folding hunter is another useful one for a low price (~$18).

I used a slip joint (traditional) for years, but I suspect you are thinking fixed blade.

Another one I really like costs a bit more; Spyderco Moran.

I will have to check the black thickness, but there are some CASE XX hunting knives in that price range. Would he prefer a synthetic material, wood, or stacked leather handle?

Aren't buck knifes made in china? Always thought they were but maybe that's only some of their cheaper models. I would get him something from Lone Wolf. They were bought by Benchmade and make great knives. They got a folder called Lone Wolf Trask that's a folder that's 3.5" blade,wooden grips cost at amazon is $69 with free shippng(the smaller version called swale with 3" blade is probably less) or the one they call Lone wolf Hardway Skeletonized skinner is $41. Used a lone wolf to skin and process deer this year and won't have to resharpen cause still hair shaving sharp. Their cheaper models I think are made in china but all the ones listed are all USA made.

Aren't buck knifes made in china? Always thought they were but maybe that's only some of their cheaper models. I would get him something from Lone Wolf. They were bought by Benchmade and make great knives. They got a folder called Lone Wolf Trask that's a folder that's 3.5" blade,wooden grips cost at amazon is $69 with free shippng(the smaller version called swale with 3" blade is probably less) or the one they call Lone wolf Hardway Skeletonized skinner is $41. Used a lone wolf to skin and process deer this year and won't have to resharpen cause still hair shaving sharp. Their cheaper models I think are made in china but all the ones listed are all USA made.
The cheaper model Buck knives are imported, but many of them are made in the USA. It is funny that you say that because I thought (past tense) that Lone Wolf knives were all imported until I checked the Benchmade site. I will have to take a closer look at them.

Here is a CASE XX RIDGEBACK HUNTER W/ ROSEWOOD GRIPS & LEATHER SHEATH ($47 at gpknives)
8.5" Overall Length, Other handle/blade options available.

http://www.gpknives.com/case-ridgeback-drop-point-hunter-rosewood.html

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC