Looking for a "little" something

Hey guys, it's been forever since I've been to BF.com, at least since May.

Anyway, I've got soem extra money to spend and I want a new folder now that I'm down to basically 2 of them that I daily.

What I'm looking for is a higher-end folder, with at least a 3.5 inch blade. Something a bit out of the ordinary would be nice also. Like a unique/cool blade shape and handle. As long as it is fully functional. And no serrations. I will be using it for just everyday cutting stuff. So I'm looking along the lines of a Spyderco, BM, REKAT, microtech, etc. Problem is I was off at Army basic training all summer and haven't followed knives very closely since I got back. So I'm a bit out of the loop.

What do you guys recommend? The top 5 right now are: REKAT Sifu and Carnivore. The spyderco Police, Camillus CUDA and the BM Osborn.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------
Self improvement is a hobby of mine :).

How about the Socom Elite? Either the manual or the single action auto would make a great knife! The LCC in either form is also hot right now. Until Camillus is willing to double the thickness of their liners to match that thick blade I would steer clear of it. Too much flex.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I would recommend:

- either the Microtech LCC or SOCOM Elite
- Al Mar SERE 2000

------------------
Dennis Bible

I think you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable and impressive looking folder then the

Al Mar SERE 2000. I have one am very impressed with the total quality, shape, and feel of this knive....also has VG-10 steel which I am partial to.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

I'd go with the Microtech LCC in stonewash. It's got lots off performance, plus a look that is almost custom.

The Microtech LCC is very popular right now, and I must confess a real good looking folder. I am partial to the Carnivore myself,
I really like the Rolling Lock. In fact there
is a Bladeforums Red/Black on the "For Sale Individual" forum right now. It has been there a while, maybe you can cut a deal.

For what its worth, these are the knives I'd be considering if I had the money to spend. My preferences are for plain edge using knives with utility blade shapes.

- MT LCC & SOCOM Elite (can't go wrong with MicroTech)
- BM 940 Osborne
- Emerson CQC-7B (dang hard to find plain edge version)
- CRKT Point Guard & KFF (great knives for the money)

Red

------------------
"Praise not the day until evening has come;a sword until it is tried; ice until it has been crossed; beer until it has been drunk" - Viking proverb

Let me tell you something right now. I just purchased an Al Mar SERE 2000. I highly recommend this knife. The G-10 handles fit perfectly in my hands, the blade is a nice spear point (false edge on top) plain blade like you requested. It has a nice strong tip-up carry stance, with a handsome reversible pocket clip and lanyard hole. This is the most solid knife I have ever felt. The liner lock is nice and beefy, the handles are comfortable and very rugged and the finish on the blade is impeccable. I dont know how long I'll be raving about the supreme fit and finish of this knife, but if I stopped any time soon I would be grossly underestimating its amazing quality.

--defiant

p.s. buy this knife, you wont regret it. 120$ at your local knife shop
smile.gif
peace.

Originally posted by defiant:
Let me tell you something right now. I just purchased an Al Mar SERE 2000. I highly recommend this knife. The G-10 handles fit perfectly in my hands, the blade is a nice spear point (false edge on top) plain blade like you requested. It has a nice strong tip-up carry stance, with a handsome reversible pocket clip and lanyard hole. This is the most solid knife I have ever felt. The liner lock is nice and beefy, the handles are comfortable and very rugged and the finish on the blade is impeccable. I dont know how long I'll be raving about the supreme fit and finish of this knife, but if I stopped any time soon I would be grossly underestimating its amazing quality.

--defiant

p.s. buy this knife, you wont regret it. 120$ at your local knife shop
smile.gif
peace.

Absolutely a great knife. The fit and finish on mine are superb. Locks up like a bank vault. A fantastic update on a classic design. I think Al Mar would have been proud to have his name on such a superb tool.

------------------
Dennis Bible

I'd seriously consider a Gunting, if you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, but fully functional. Awesome compression lock, fully functional knife blade, very comfortable handle.

I would recommend a Benchmade AFCK or Stryker in M2 tool steel. Both are available with a plain edged blade. Other than that, I would reccommend an Emerson SOCFK or CQC7B, although a plain edge is not readily available.

------------------
Brigadier
Beretta 92 FS nut and Wave-aholic
"And for this cause God shall send them stong delusion,that they should believe a lie;" 2 Thessalonians 2:11

I have to second (or 3rd or 4th) the Micro-Tech LCC. It is big, beefy, and way cool looking. I also have to put in the A.G. Russell Walker locks with ATS-34 http://www.agrussell.com/agrussell/lockbacksp.html

I have the one with the quince burl and Ti. It is very well made, and turns heads when you bring it out. Then there are the new Benchmade Axis locks. My favorite being the 705 or 710's. Yes, the Osborne knife is cool too, if you can find one of the red or blue-handled ones. Just my $.02.

Daniel D.

PS Welcome back to the Forums.

Well guys, I just ordered my knife. In a few days I'll be the proud owner of a MT SOCOM elite with the stone wased blade. Alos got it with Serrations, remembering how easy they make cardboard.

The LCC sure got the most recommendations, but I prefer a little larger blade as I alread have a great smaller carry knife. Plus the blade shape really didn't jump out at me. The SERE is probably going to be my next knife purchase, that or the Spyderco Police. I almost bought an origonal SOCOM with the tanto point, but figured for the same price might as well get the newer version.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------

benchmade 710hssr 3.9 inch blade in M2 high speed steel, G 10 , axis lock.

Excellent choice. I don't believe you will be disappointed. Be sure and let us know your impressions.

------------------
Dennis Bible

Did you get the manual or the automatic?
I started to buy one (would have been an auto) recently, but decided against it due to the handles. I prefer G-10 on a knife that will see a lot of use.
Very nice knife, though. One of the best-looking MTs, IMO. Give us a review when you've used it awhile.

I got the manual. God Bless WA state knife laws which protect us from autos...

The review sounds like an good idea.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------

Back