Looking for a Mid Size backpacking knife ??? Opinions Welcome

Check out the SOG Seal Pup Elite too, 5" AUS8 blade at 3/16" thickness in a very light package with a high quality nylon (can opt for kydex) sheath. I see you were looking at the Ontario TAK, that is a very heavy knife for its size if you take that sort of thing into account regarding backpacking.

Well, I'll toss out there the ESEE 6, which has a thinner blade profile than the 5 (ergo, lighter).

It's big, strong, and not too heavy for what you get for the weight.

While I've never *NEEDED* a big knife in the back-country, IMHO, it's something that you don't leave home without. Much like my .44mag. Don't go into the wood without it. Never needed it, but if I did, I'd rather have it. Having a good sized, beefy knife in the sticks is a good thing, and not something I would leave at home to save a few OZ.

I'd rather trim down weight on things like flashlights, cooking wear, food supplies, etc.......... but never leave your basic survival tools at home when you go into the woods. If it comes down to breaking the rules or survival........the rules go right out the window.

For backpacking I use an Enzo Trapper. If fits all of your criteria and your price range. They come in D2, O1, and S30V steel, scandi and full flat grind. I find it to be a perfect balance of size, strength, and weight. I love the O1 scandi grind because it takes a very sharp edge that is easy to maintain. I have one that I wrapped Strider style in paracord and one with Ebony scales that I put on myself.

Not my pic but here you go:
enzo3.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah for sure. Well put.
Thanks

Well, I'll toss out there the ESEE 6, which has a thinner blade profile than the 5 (ergo, lighter).

It's big, strong, and not too heavy for what you get for the weight.

While I've never *NEEDED* a big knife in the back-country, IMHO, it's something that you don't leave home without. Much like my .44mag. Don't go into the wood without it. Never needed it, but if I did, I'd rather have it. Having a good sized, beefy knife in the sticks is a good thing, and not something I would leave at home to save a few OZ.

I'd rather trim down weight on things like flashlights, cooking wear, food supplies, etc.......... but never leave your basic survival tools at home when you go into the woods. If it comes down to breaking the rules or survival........the rules go right out the window.

That is a nice lookin blade. Looks like a good nice bushcraft knife.
Thanks for sharing it.

For backpacking I use an Enzo Trapper. If fits all of your criteria and your price range. They come in D2, O1, and S30V steel, scandi and full flat grind. I find it to be a perfect balance of size, strength, and weight. I love the O1 scandi grind because it takes a very sharp edge that is easy to maintain. I have one that I wrapped Strider style in paracord and one with Ebony scales that I put on myself.

Not my pic but here you go:
enzo3.jpg

Back