Looking for a Neck Knife

Most so-called neck knives I prefer to carry in a pocket. The two that I really like as neckwear are the Marttiini Lynx Lumberjack, and the Mora Original Classic No. 1, with its laminated blade. Both atr light and slim, with close-fitting sheaths. They come screaming sharp, especially the laminated Mora.

A couple more that no one has mentioned are the Varusteleka Mini Skrama and Mini Jääkkaripuukko ( I rarely get the spelling right on that last one, and don’t know anybody who does). I have the little Skrama, but haven’t tried it on my neck.

3" to 4" is "big" for a neck knife. I mean, most in that range will be heavy around your neck and you will feel it by the end of the day. The only contender, IMO, would be the Fred Perrin Big Bowie. It has a healthy 4 1/4" blade with a 4 1/2" handle (a real knife...). The retention system is not top of the pops, so I would actually recommend to carry it handle up (it's not carbon steel but 12C27). It's the one at the bottom of pic :
9RCO9Mw.jpg

Up to 3" there is a flock of small knives that can be neck carried. The fact is a 2" to 3" knife can do almost all of your everyday jobs (according to my everyday uses, of course). See above.

3" to 4" is "big" for a neck knife. I mean, most in that range will be heavy around your neck and you will feel it by the end of the day. The only contender, IMO, would be the Fred Perrin Big Bowie. It has a healthy 4 1/4" blade with a 4 1/2" handle (a real knife...). The retention system is not top of the pops, so I would actually recommend to carry it handle up (it's not carbon steel but 12C27). It's the one at the bottom of pic :

Up to 3" there is a flock of small knives that can be neck carried. The fact is a 2" to 3" knife can do almost all of your everyday jobs (according to my everyday uses, of course). See above.

I've found this to be the case. One of my favorite EDC fixed blades for belt carry is the Real Steel Receptor. Somehow, it is marketed as a neck knife. With a 2.75" blade, ~4" handle, and scales that are comfortable for use; it is nowhere near comfortable to wear as a necklace.

Real-Steel-Receptor-Neck-Knife-Black-G-10-Black-SW-RS3550-BHQ-81635-jr-large.jpg

Consider LT Wright Bushbaby....i got mine in 3v but also thinner cheaper blade in 1075 is available.
Great small knife, good handle.

Thanks Guys I appreciate the information.
I will look up all the knives that were mentioned.

After giving it more thought I think I would be interested in the same knife that I described with a double edged blade.

I would appreciate some information on this knife I am interested in with a double edge blade.

Thanks

Again, you should check out Guinea Hog Forge. He grinds his false tops very thin. He has done video's of him snap cutting rope and such with the false edge, so I can't imagine it would take much effort to convert to a DE/sharpened swedge.

Last edited:
Per your first request, I would suggest the TOPS Mini Scandi. I’m not familiar enough with double edged knives to offer a suggestion on that type.

Well I ordered a couple of Old Hickory 4 inch paring knives and a couple of Old Hickory 3.25 inch paring knives and a couple of The Old Hickory 6 inch Spear Point Double edge Knives.
All made in the USA and all 1095 Steel.
Reason I ordered 2 of each was to see what Length and Weight I prefer for a Neck Knife and to keep One of each in its unmodified Condition and experiment with the other ,such as sharpening part of the back of the Paring knives and Perhaps shortening the Spearpoint to 4 inches or so .

Now I will just figure out whether to make the Sheaths out of Leather or Plastic.
I already have some Leather as I Make A Holster every now and then and also have some thin sheet of Plastic.

Well I ordered a couple of Old Hickory 4 inch paring knives and a couple of Old Hickory 3.25 inch paring knives and a couple of The Old Hickory 6 inch Spear Point Double edge Knives.
All made in the USA and all 1095 Steel.
Reason I ordered 2 of each was to see what Length and Weight I prefer for a Neck Knife and to keep One of each in its unmodified Condition and experiment with the other ,such as sharpening part of the back of the Paring knives and Perhaps shortening the Spearpoint to 4 inches or so .

Now I will just figure out whether to make the Sheaths out of Leather or Plastic.
I already have some Leather as I Make A Holster every now and then and also have some thin sheet of Plastic.

Ironic timing. Last week I searched for info on the Old Hickory paring knife as a neck knife with little success.
I just recieved mine with intentions to use it with a Macintyre Rig.
Please update us with what you come up with.

d7sYX9g.jpg

Ironic timing. Last week I searched for info on the Old Hickory paring knife as a neck knife with little success.
I just recieved mine with intentions to use it with a Macintyre Rig.
Please update us with what you come up with.

d7sYX9g.jpg
Yes I think both the 3.25 inch and the 4 inch should make a nice neck Knife as well.

The 3.25 inch weighing less than 2 ounces with an 11/16 wide blade and the 4 inch weighing less than 2.5 ounce with a 3/4 inch blade width blade and both have easy to sharpen 1095 steel .

The 6 inch weighs less than 4 1/2 ounces would probably be at the upper end of something I would want to carry around my neck but I don't know that for sure as I have never tried neck carry.

They should be here in less than a week and then I will better know.

Yes I think both the 3.25 inch and the 4 inch should make a nice neck Knife as well.

The 3.25 inch weighing less than 2 ounces with an 11/16 wide blade and the 4 inch weighing less than 2.5 ounce with a 3/4 inch blade width blade and both have easy to sharpen 1095 steel .

The 6 inch weighs less than 4 1/2 ounces would probably be at the upper end of something I would want to carry around my neck but I don't know that for sure as I have never tried neck carry.

They should be here in less than a week and then I will better know.
VC64Kox.jpg

Thanks!
No, blade up. The impressions in the blade seem to provide enough retention to keep it in.
The knife is exactly 1 oz. Entire system is 3.4 oz with button compass, light, fire starter, and whistle.

So the 3.25 inchold Hickory Paring Knife only weighs 1 ounce ?
I Have not got my Knives in yet to weigh them.
Just going by the weights listed on the net.

When I make some sheaths for the Paring knives I have coming I am going to make them blade down just to be on the safe side .
Also going to make mine out of 8-9 ounce Leather ,will weigh just the sheath to see how much the leather weighs to compare to the Kydex sheath.

How much does Just the Sheath weigh ?

I am going to make them blade down just to be on the safe side .

Geez I'm the most useless maker here and I can put a bit of elastic chord or something over the handle to secure and stop any neck knife falling out of a sheath.

Come on man.

So the 3.25 inchold Hickory Paring Knife only weighs 1 ounce ?
I Have not got my Knives in yet to weigh them.
Just going by the weights listed on the net.

When I make some sheaths for the Paring knives I have coming I am going to make them blade down just to be on the safe side .
Also going to make mine out of 8-9 ounce Leather ,will weigh just the sheath to see how much the leather weighs to compare to the Kydex sheath.

How much does Just the Sheath weigh ?

Yes, only 1 ounce! I see many sites list it as 1.9. Perhaps they are weighing it with the packaging.

The sheath (with paracord and ranger band) weigh an additional 1.8 oz. (2.8 with knife)

Leather will certainly look nice with the walnut and steel, similar to Condor's Otzi knife:
QBMxIxe.jpg

Yes, only 1 ounce! I see many sites list it as 1.9. Perhaps they are weighing it with the packaging.

The sheath (with paracord and ranger band) weigh an additional 1.8 oz. (2.8 with knife)

Leather will certainly look nice with the walnut and steel, similar to Condor's Otzi knife:
QBMxIxe.jpg
Thank you for the weights and pics, I appreciate it

I got the Knives in Today
Plain and Simple Knives.
The 3.25 inch Paring Knife weighs 1 ounce, the 4 inch Paring knife weighs 1 1/4 ounce
and 6 inch Sticker weighs 4 1/2 ounces.
They Paring knives shave/pull a little hair, the sticker 6 inch knives are not quite as sharp.

A BK-14 is my constant companion, carried 99% of the time in a pocket sheath

Most versatile and utilitarian knife in the world... With some scales on it.

Back