Looking for a new EDC.

After having my spyderco delica 4 for a few months now, I'm interested in a new EDC knife. I was looking at the cold steel recon 1, cold steel spartan, and some others. I don't want to spend over 140$, what dou you guys think would be a good option? Thanks for any advice 

The Recon 1 and Voyager series carry very well and won't break the bank. Especially the Voyager. I have the Clip Point and Vaquero XL and despite the size find them very comfortable.

In the 4" range the Recon 1 is great and the same for the Voyagers in that size.

The Recon 1 and Voyager series carry very well and won't break the bank. Especially the Voyager. I have the Clip Point and Vaquero XL and despite the size find them very comfortable.

In the 4" range the Recon 1 is great and the same for the Voyagers in that size.

Ya I was looking at those, I love the voyager XL tanto, I also love the spear point recon 1. Hmmm...... Looks like I'm getting both lol.:D

Hi Cr4ze_w0lfe

Thanks for getting in touch

I would heartily recommend the Voyager series. I like them a lot.
Very strong and very reliable. It's a knife used by almost all of the employees here at Cold Steel.
I carry an XL Clip Point 50/50 edge and have done for many years. I don't think you will be disappointed
:thumbup:

Here's a picture of some heavily used and abused knives from our warehouse staff.
Those knives have taken a lot of really hard use and are still going strong

P1300288_sm.jpg

I would also recommend the new CODE 4 series
Those knives are epic. They look great and they make a great EDC

CODE 4 SERIES_m.jpg

In the price range you mentioned you could also get a Hold Out
Very light, very thin and for it's weight it's probably one of the strongest knives in the world.
Several of our staff carry the bigger model in their boot. I know one or two employees here who use the small one as a money clip too :D

HOLD OUT SERIES_m.jpg

Finally, I would also recommend the American Lawman
It's a VERY popular knife with our fans

AMERICAN LAWMAN SERIES_m.jpg

Whatever you choose I am sure you will be very happy.
Thanks for considering Cold Steel. I appreciate it

Thank you very much, the thing I love most about your company (cold steel) is that you respond to customers on a lot of things like YouTube and this website. I am going to be getting a lot of cold steel knives, recon 1 tanto and spear point, spartan, espada large g10, American lawman, ak47, XL tanto voyager, and some more. If cold steel knives were USA made I would spend every penny I get on your knives. But I understand the cost thing, having Taiwanese made knife doesn't bother me that much but I just love to see made in U.S.A. Great knives, great quality, and great company. If you guys made a recon 1 but with a more wear resistant steel like 154-cm many people would buy it including me. You could call it the recon 2 haha. Thanks for the advice.

Those are all awesome choices. The new Spartans and G10 Espadas (with the stonewash blades) are looking great.
I think you will like them

I understand your frustration regarding manufacture overseas. We are using more and more American materials every year (for example our Warcraft Tanto is almost entirely USA made).
The Recon I is a Japanese blade and an American handle, but it's assembled in Taiwan. I prefer to think of our models like international hybrids. :D
Regardless of country of manufacture, we hold all of our products to the same tough standards

A lot of people have asked about alternative steels. I can't say anything about future projects but I can tell you we listen to every suggestion.

Ok again I love that you guys respond to your customers. And about the overseas thing as long at the quality is good, the recon steel thing would be amazing. You guys are a great company and I'm not just saying that to suck up I really mean. You answer all my questions on here and YouTube. I love your GI tanto ;) very simple design. Can't wait to get more of your knives :) you guys need to bring back some of your popular discontinued knives like the war head, I sadly missed a lot of your older knives due to the fact I've only been into knives for a year or two. Can't wait to have my recon 1 spear point, one question though. If I buy one of your knives from a website like amazon or BladeHQ and it has a manufacture error will you replace or fix it? Or do you have to buy it from your website?

I love my CS blades, but I usually prefer something smaller for my EDC(3-3.5 inch blade is plenty for me), so my suggestion would be the mini-Recon or the medium Voyagers. If you feel you do need a bigger blade, then step up to the larger versions. The new Code 4's also look like they were made with EDC in mind, though I don't own one personally.

I'm picking up a Code 4 Spear point and intend to throw it in my edc rotation. Looks like a winner and really looking forward to it.

Future releases with alternative steals? Sounds like a winning proposition to me =)

Awesome, and the alternating steels would be a dream :) I've heard the the reason cold steel uses the aus8 is because their knives are beating knives and with aus8 being softer it will roll rather than chip, and it's easier to sharpen. But I don't plan on using the recon 1 to chop a tree down, so I'd much rather a tougher steel so I don't have to sharpen it as much, the chipping thing doesn't worry me. I'll only use it for basic to medium EDC tasks.

Ya, I just love big knives. Some don't like big knives but I'm a fan. I like the look of both the large and mini recon 1.

Cr4ze_w0lfe - any of our rare returns or repairs are judged on an individual basis. It would depend entirely on the situation. If you ever have any problems at all just give our guys and gals in customer services a call. They will do their very best to help you whatever the situation :)

The Cold Steel Code 4 is ...in my opinion... the best cold steel folder out there (especially if you need a break from Cold Steels overly grippy G10 and black blades)

The Code 4 is just gorgeous...
CS58TPS.jpg

I just don't like the Handel, i don't know why. I just take a little sandpaper to smooth the g10 but it doesn't really bother me that much. The handles are aluminum aren't they?

I think the Code 4's are some of the best looking knives in recent memory by any company. Take a look: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/05/knife-review-cold-steel-code-4-spearpoint/. :thumbup: If they don't appeal to you, though, any of the above choices would be great. You can't go wrong with any CS knife. It really just depends upon your personal preferences. I sometimes carry a plain edge clip point XL Voyager. Very solid, very smooth, and a great knife overall. These things are BIG, though. For a more sensible edc I'd go with the large model over the XL.

I was weirded out by the aluminum handles on the Code 4 at first...but they grew on me. The knife has a beautiful mirror polished blade and feels very well constructed.

Like someone else said though... it is a BIG blade. It's shorter than the Recon 1 but bigger than the Mini Recon.

I hope I'm not too late to chime in here.

I have the Recon 1, Spartan, large Voyager tanto, Code 4 in spear point, and AK-47. They're all great knives, but what I recommend the most for EDC is the Code 4, because of how light and thin that knife is. Fun to look at and play with, super smooth action.

The only one I wouldn't really recommend for EDC (unless you're sure you can take it) is the Spartan because of how huge it is. It's thick, it's heavy, and it's very purpose-built as a tactical folder. It's a beast, and it's supposed to be. Unless your pockets are huge you'll probably have to dedicate an entire pocket to it. If you're willing to carry such a beastly folder, go for it.

Though you didn't mention it, I also really recommend the Mackinac Hunter. I find that carrying it with the sheath on your belt saves up a lot of pocket space that you can use for other things, which is super useful if you like to carry a lot of things with you. The blade shape and size are awesome for EDC and it's just generally a fantastic knife. It is a little heavy, but that's a non-issue if you carry it in the pouch sheath. It's also probably the most politically correct out of the knives I've mentioned here, and I honestly hate mentioning that, but if that's important to you (it begrudgingly is to me because of where I live), it can be a deciding factor.

They're all great folders and you can't go wrong with any of them really.

Back