looking for a new edc

If you are just using it for cutting things like rope the David Boye cobalt folder might be the best cutter on the market. It cuts rope and cardboard with a breeze! You dont know how well it cuts until you try one for yourself. You could also get a Sebenza for around you price range. GOOD LUCK! Kevin :D

Benchmade 710D2.

Classic, tough as hell, good looking, and around 100 bucks online.

It would be perfect. (Of course, I have no experience with Sebenzas)

I hear really really good things about Zero Tolerance too...

Spyderco Pacific Salt and Blade-Tech Rijbak are also some of personal favorite hard use folders. w/ the Salt you can beat the hell out of it and it keeps going. The Rijbak on the other hand cost a little bit more and I go easier on mine but I'm confident it would pull through in a pinch. I just don't wanna risk breaking mine for no reason other than to say "Look what my knife can do!"

thanks for all the sugestions, im leaning towards a mini rukus and a spyderco sage, or a small sebenza:D

thanks for all the sugestions, im leaning towards a mini rukus and a spyderco sage, or a small sebenza:D

Try out the Sage. Best EDC I have had in a while. It is like a cross between the Native and Caly3. Beautiful knife that carrys light and small but cuts big

Have you considered a Sebenza? The new Sebenza 21 is awesome, as are all the other permutations of the Sebbie.

Since your budget limit just jumped up, it might be the right time for a Sebenza -- you know, the knife you're gonna get someday, as soon as you stop buying all those cheaper knives that just don't make it? :D

Of the knives you listed:

Para-military is a great hard-working knife.
So is the ZT 0200 -- but it's BIG. I love mine.
Strider PT, like the Sebenza, you will get one someday, a PT, SnG, or SMF. :)

Thanks for your input, but the fact that the [Spyderco] Native does not have screw together construction raises some concerns for me. Im leaning towards the rukus or another....
The Rukus is an outstanding choice. My EDC has usually been Cold Steel Voyagers of one form or another and not having a screw construction hasn't seem to matter one way or the other. But lots of people like being able to take their knives apart, make modifications in them, replace bearings and so forth. And the Rukus has a solid axis lock, which makes it all the more desirable.

It's just great having a huge variety to choose from. In fact, you pretty much have to work at getting a bad knife these days. Knives are made to last for years and I could no more EDC one knife day-to-day than I could wear the same socks.

Have you considered a Sebenza? The new Sebenza 21 is awesome, as are all the other permutations of the Sebbie.
how does the sebenza feel in your hand? does it fill your palm or does it feel flat, cause from what i can see it looks pretty flat,could you compare it to any of the knives listed that i have, ide like to get an idea before i drop the$ for one:)

The Sebenza, to me, is still a question mark. It's quality cannot be denied, but its performance superiority is still something I wonder about. When quality is applied to firearms, one can assume that accuracy and perhaps longevity, durability and comfort all will be part of the performance boost. The thing I wonder about is, what does the exceptional quality of the Sebenza translate into in performance? Does it cut better, longer, more accurately? Is its beauty (which, agreed, is in the eye of the beholder) superior?

Those are all debatable points.

What's not debatable is that the knife is quality made and can often be sold for very close to what was paid for it. That, alone, makes it an investment. But as far as performance is concerned, it remains only a pocket knife. Good steel blade, dependable, but so, too, are many other knives far more inexpensive.

The three greatest components of a good knife are: blade, lock and frame. Tolerances, while important, do have a level of diminishing return. Is a Sebenza's blade better, worse or the same as a quality Spyderco's? Is its lock better, worse or the same? And are the grips fundamentally better, worse or the same than many other knives? Finally, does it cut better, worse or the same as a quality Spyderco, Kershaw or a Boker? Or does it last longer or open quicker?

Sebenzas clearly have an appeal, a market and a sizable following. But while a Colt Python may perform much better than a Taurus .357, can one expect a similar performance boost from a Sebenza? I don't see how. But since it has a high resale value, one can buy one, try it out and sell it if one isn't delighted with it.

Nope, only seen photos and talked to people who have. One of my friends who's a real estate agent, got one and was initially impressed with it, then he apparently got over it and sold it. One of these days I'm going to find one I can look over and then, who knows? But again, I have seen breathtakingly beautiful knives that I would have paid $$$ for, but none that I would carry.

The Greek hero Achilles was the quintessential draft dodger. His mother sent him away to a girl's school and Odysseus discovered him by laying out a table of arms and armor. All the women were looking at silks and robes and one was thumbing the edge of a sword. Odysseus then had the woman seized and it was Achilles. My point is that there's always been a cosmetic, as well as practical, appeal to arms. The photos of Sebenzas are, to me, plain and mundane, and I'm not sure that someone cutting something with a Sebenza is going to notice any increase in performance over a more inexpensive knife.

But like I said, you can't knock it as an investment. Few people have bought a Colt Python and then lost money on it.

My point is, the less you know, the less you should say. bigphilbk7 is looking for recommendations. If you have no experience with it, your opinion is still welcome, but keep your comments brief. For all my own experience, I only commented on 3 of the 5 knives he asked about because I don't have hands-on familiarity with 2 of them.

Well, I admit what I don't know and try to share what I do. Namely, the major point is that in this case Sebenzas are expensive, but they also represent a good investment. I honestly don't think the Sebenza blade is what sets apart the Sebenzas from other knives. It's the knife as a whole. But that's true of all knives.

Not trying to save you any cash, but my EDC is a benchmade vex. Cost me 40 bucks and I really can't get over how well they made it. Very solid and just works for me. My 2 cents.

Fallkniven U2, P, PXL, U1 and whatnot.
EKA 60, 92 etc.
Not that fancy or expensive, but you can use and abuse them and not cry too much if it is lost or breaks.

Back