Looking for a new ISP...

Phillip Patton

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Who do you guys recommend? I'm looking for dependability above all. My current one is lousy. I can't send out email most of the time. My webpage is down, and they aren't replying to my emails. It's time to move on.

I use ATT for an ISP and Comcast for broadband access.
Gotta admit that as a"retiree"from the"old"ATTand an ATT that became SBC I am biased.....but their service is daggone excellent!!!

Also,checkout "U-verse"from att.........new offering that may just blow away the othe isp/digital access/etc. folks.........

I've had DSL with Ameritech/SBC/ATT for a number of years, Phillip, and rarely experience any downtime. i can't even remember the last time the access itself was down. Email outage rarely exceeds an hour, maybe 1-2x per year. Chicago area rate is about $20/mo for 1.5Mb service.

You might check Atlanta Virtual for web hosting. They do a lot of knifemakers.

John, do you find tremendous humor in the irony that after all the problems the divestiture caused so many years ago that things are almost back to where they were again, with one major landline company rapidly devouring the others? Gotta wonder who made the most money from that Charlie Fox and which congressman retired to their own tropical island.

I have cox and its the best thing since apple pie. I just did a speed test and here are the results 7272 kbps download speed 542 kbps upload speed. But i dotn know if its in your area. It it is I would highly recommend it.

I had SBC/ATT Broadband and it was as good as it get's, now I have sprint and it is just as good as the other service. I should say that I moved from California to Florida and Embarq/sprint is the only landline Broadband in my area for now, but I would not switch if there was anyway. It's been real good for the 1 1/2 yrs Ive been using it.

Is it your Internet provider you're having trouble with, or your webpage host? I have two webpages. My knife one is through GoDaddy.com and my practice is through Fatcow.com. Fat Cow is a little more expensive, but I've had it for 3-4 years and it's great. I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. GoDaddy has also worked great, but isn't nearly as user-friendly. I do all my own HTML and uploading/managing my websites.

I use lunarpages to host my website. Ive never had it down, its cheap and i have what seems like endless space and bandwidth. i host two other sites on the same plan. Cheap, too!

I used ICD Soft for a few years(until early this year - I got out of the ebusiness game...). They were super reliable, service was never down, and if I ever needed thier tech support, I always got an immediate response to questions. Domain hosting the last time I checked was $60 per year. I highly recommend them.

Is it your Internet provider you're having trouble with, or your webpage host? I have two webpages. My knife one is through GoDaddy.com and my practice is through Fatcow.com. Fat Cow is a little more expensive, but I've had it for 3-4 years and it's great. I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. GoDaddy has also worked great, but isn't nearly as user-friendly. I do all my own HTML and uploading/managing my websites.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I should have mentioned, DSL is not available in my area yet. We have one of the most antiquated phone systems in the country. And I'm not exaggerating.
My email, internet, and website hosting is all done by the same company.
They did manage to get the website back up, but my email is still not working.

Phillip,

Ditto on the SBC ISP.

For hosting.....I highly recommend Atlanta Virtual:
http://www.atlantavirtual.com/

Alex is the admin for the Knifenetwork forums. Not only a very helpful guy, but also very versed in the custom knive industry.

At least for your own "peace of mind", give him a call on the toll free number and talk about what you want to do. Transferring your current site to AV is a snap. I have 2 sites with AV...and have NEVER had any problems. Even if your ISP is down...your web site is still cookin' and making money for you.

Best wishes for a prosperous '07!

-Rob

For hosting, Atlanta Virtual is the way to go. Some one actually answers the phone there... Email support is good too.

Phillip,

Ditto on the SBC ISP.

For hosting.....I highly recommend Atlanta Virtual:
http://www.atlantavirtual.com/

Alex is the admin for the Knifenetwork forums. Not only a very helpful guy, but also very versed in the custom knive industry.

At least for your own "peace of mind", give him a call on the toll free number and talk about what you want to do. Transferring your current site to AV is a snap. I have 2 sites with AV...and have NEVER had any problems. Even if your ISP is down...your web site is still cookin' and making money for you.

Best wishes for a prosperous '07!

-Rob

For hosting, Atlanta Virtual is the way to go. Some one actually answers the phone there... Email support is good too.

Alex at Atlanta Virtual is very good about the up time that is for sure!

I have sprint dsl and I have never been down in two years.

Still not completely sure what you are needing, but if it's just for Internet access, look into a wireless EVDO card (basically a cell phone for your 'puter). Where I live we can't get DSL, but we do get cell coverage, and the EVDO has turned out about as fast as DSL.

~Brian

Back