Looking for a pistol case

Greetings everyone.

I haven't posted here in a while but i figured this would be a good place to ask.

I'm looking for a case that will hold a Ruger mark iv 22/45... it's the six inch target model.

It's a fairly large gun and i occasionally run it with a red dot so i need a case large enough to hold the pistol, three to five magazines (the mags for this gun don't take much room) and the optic.

Ideally I'd like it to be as compact as possible but still be rugged, water resistant and locking. But, I'm also open to multi gun cases that i could throw my Glock 19 and several magazines in, but i want as slim a profile as possible.

I'd like to stay in the $100 range.

Thanks for any suggestions.

A cheaper alternative to a Pelican case is a brand called Apache. Harbor "something" has 'em. I own a few Pelican cases to transport my rifles and pistols and they work really well. No experience with the Apaches though.

I've been using some MTM Case-Gard cases for a few of my firearms. They can be found online for pretty cheap. The four gun case fits four guns and a couple extra magazines, and the two gun fits my USP Expert 45 with 4 additional mags. Another option... I have an old Ruger 22/45 (barrel measures 5 1/2") that fits into my factory Beretta M9 case. The case is pretty small compared to other options, and you may be able to find a used one on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Be aware, that some of the less expensive cases (usually not specifically for firearms) have thinner sides that one can bend apart to wriggle things out. Additionally, some of the less expensive cases don't have lock areas, and therefore require a large lock to go around the entire handle. Often a slightly better case can be found for $10 more than the cheapest options. One more thing to consider... although I often carry a larger case when transporting multiple firearms and/or components, often the pressure of the foam on the components doesn't always securely keep the components from sliding towards eachother and contacting during transport (specifically while carrying the case or lifting them out or into a vehicle).

I make due with what I have (some cheapie cases and some expensive cases), so I'm not trying to sway you either way, just giving you some things to consider before your purchase.

Honestly (and I know you didn't ask... LOL) I've given up on locking hard cases for my pistols, and switched to range bags. I've got 2 or 3 in various sizes that I use, depending on what I'm taking to the range that day. I bought some various size, neoprene tablet sleeves that I put the pistols in to protect them in the bag. The bags were all bought at gun shows, and the sleeves you can get at dollar stores, or WallyWorld, or such. It's just so much easier to carry all my PPE gear, pistols, mags, tools etc. in one bag.

When I did use locking cases, I'd go to an Office Depot or such, and buy the locking metal briefcases (the old Samsonite style). I put foam thick foam padding in the bottom, a thinner piece on top of the pistols, and used the pockets on the lid for mags, tools, etc. Unfortunately, I found myself carrying 3 or 4 separate bags and cases every time I went to the range - more if I took a rifle or two!

Back