Looking for a polishing paste

I am looking for a good polishing paste. I would go through quite a bit of it so price is somewhat a factor. Looking to avoid CBN and diamond. ( I do love both tho ) hoping to find a variety of grits to go to a mirror polish. Preferably a silicon carbide, or aluminum oxide abrasive. Was actually looking a meguiars professional polishing compounds. But I am not sure of the abrasive and would hate to get something that doesn't work well on hardened steels.

Many folks swear by the Tormek compound. Don't know how economical it would be, however.

What steels are you going to be polishing?

If most or all of them are middle-of-the-road low/mid-alloy stainless, up to something like ~ 154CM, VG-10 or D2, then pastes like Simichrome, Flitz, Mother's Mag can work pretty well, all of which are in aluminum oxide. Considering it's design usage (auto/wheel finishing), Mother's Mag might be a blend with something like silica abrasive, perhaps with a lower concentration of aluminum oxide than with Simichrome or Flitz. On a per-volume basis, the Mother's Mag paste would likely be the least expensive if you're going to be using a lot of it; about ~ $5 for a 5 oz. jar of it at someplace like Walmart. The smaller tubes of Simichrome or Flitz (1.76 oz is typical size) can last a very long time for hobbyist sharpening purposes, but they'll be pricier for the volume you get; probably $6 - $8 per tube, depending on where you buy it. In using both of these, my impression is that the Simichrome is a little more aggressive (faster) to polish and lasts a bit longer on a strop, while the Flitz polishes a little less aggressively (slower), and will need to be refreshed more frequently on the strop.

If you're polishing high-wear steels with a lot of vanadium content ( > 3% or so), you'd be better off sticking with diamond or CBN products for those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
Back