Looking for an axe to primarly use for kindling

I am looking for a high quality axe to use for splitting kindling. It doesn't need to split any of the larger stuff. I was hoping to get some input from people who know more then I do. I would be willing to spend $150 or so but would really prefer to spend less if possible. It will be used to make kindling from mostly hardwood, usually oak, on 16 to 18 inch logs.

I did a few searches and think I have it narrowed down to a Wetterling, Husqvarna, or GB but I am going back and forth about what length handle and model to get. I know I don't want a huge axe but something between a wildlife axe and a Scandinavian Forest axe. It would be nice to be able to get a multipurpose axe but if those don't work for kindling nearly as well I'll get a dedicated splitter.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated even if you guys tell me I am on the wrong track.

Thanks for the information,
David

Try E-bay...look for a good Plumb, Zenith or Collins. Plenty of good choices in your price range, just make sure the handle is very tight.

No need to spend 150 on an axe to split kindling.... Buy an oldie, throw a handle on it and you'll be out 25 bucks.

Is the steel on the older vintage American axe heads as good as Wetterlings or GB?

Yes, GB uses something akin to 1055 carbon steel in thier axes...54% carbon content.There are rumors around that GB uses L6..Not true, even the heat treat they list on thier website is way,way different than anything you would ever use for L6...
The steel in many older axes are at least equal if not better..Gb is an excellent product..You pay for the hand craftsmanship, fit and finish..All of which are excellent..Personally I would look into an older american made axe as well for what your wanting...Just check around and see for yourself..
Is the steel on the older vintage American axe heads as good as Wetterlings or GB?

Last edited:
I use a 3 1/4 pound single bit for kindling... a 2.5 should handle very nice when you choke up.

If you're looking for a good one handed splitter check out the Estwing "Fireside Friend". It's like a mini one handed maul, all steel with a rubber grip. The backside can work pretty well for pounding wedges also. There's nothing nostalgic or romantic about it but it works.

Yup. Fireside Friend will do the job nicely. You also might try the Condor Scout Hatchet. It's essentially a splitting wedge with a handle. You can either swing it to split or baton it. Either way, kindling is basically what it was largely designed for (along with fair performance in general chopping). It's a cute li'l sucker.

Bahco makes a nice hatchet as well and not bad quality for the price IMO.

I found a vintage Collins boy axe I might get if I win the bidding. I think this will be a great all around axe for kindling and other chores. Thanks for all the great input everyone.

I lost the bidding on the Vintage Collins Boy Axe but I am now considering buying a Helko Hatchet or small axe since they appear to be made from high quality steel and will withstand cutting hardwoods well.

whooki,
I was hoping you won that one! I picked up another Collins hatchet there with a good looking handle and face for 18.99 with shipping. Don't give up. I also have Wetterlings, Fiskars and GB- they all do the job. Husqvarna was selling Wetterlings rebranded blades, you might find a deal on one of those.
Bill

Yeah I have one of these and it's awesome it just explodes the kindling apart,initially I was using my wetterlings but I had knots in the oak I was splitting and I think the Wetterlings head wasn't wide enough,not slamming the Wetterlings but for this application the Estwing maul worked better-just my .02¢
If you're looking for a good one handed splitter check out the Estwing "Fireside Friend". It's like a mini one handed maul, all steel with a rubber grip. The backside can work pretty well for pounding wedges also. There's nothing nostalgic or romantic about it but it works.

For just kindling that Estwing " Fireside Friend " does look good. May have to pick one up !

Back