Recommendation? Looking For An Upgrade Recommendation

After carrying fixed blade and other folders (CRK) for years, this stuck at home situation has me carrying an old favorite. I've had it for as long as I can remember maybe over a decade and just stropped it again this morning. I used it for general cutting of everything but food, so constantly removing tape and residue from it weekly.

I like the blade shape, the handles and the lock. BUT, it really doesn't stay sharp long and it goes from razor to dull without any step down, so thinking a steel upgrade is in order. I perused the Benchmade site, but that's just current models, while years of models are out in the wild in online stores.

Anyone have this knife in a higher performing steel than 440C they can recommend? Open to non serrated as well, but they do come in handy on furniture packaging.

50251549911_1354b92c49_k.jpg

50251549906_f5a5b99ddb_k.jpg

I guess the 550-1 would be a good suggestion. It has 20cv steel and g10 scales. I have the 551-1 and it's a decent upgrade from the plastic 154cm version I also have.

Why not just get the S30V version? It holds an edge much better than 440C, though I'm honestly interested how the 440C dulls so quickly as I haven't had that experience with BM's 440C myself. Really thick and abrasive cardboard? Your description actually makes me think there's a wire edge left when you resharpen, so maybe there's something there, but then again maybe not. I would expect that your stropping would take care of that.

If you can find something in M4 or 20CV, those would probably treat you really well. I don't think the 154cm steel would be much of an upgrade for you. S30V which has been a mainstay for benchmade for a while should treat you really well and it does quite well when cutting abrasive materials like cardboard and carpet.

A Ritter grip in 20CV would be a nice choice as would the BM freak. The super freak would be a great choice with the M4 steel blade.

How much are you looking for something different and how much do you want the same? The freak, griptilian, barrage, and presidio are all semi-similar in the handle shape and sizes but if you're looking for something bigger or smaller, carries significantly different in pocket, or has a different look/feel, then we could recommend something different for you.

Standard Grip in S30v would do well, but I like the 550-1 with G10 and 20cv myself! I also have a custom with M4 and G10 which is outstanding. The Super Freek is also a superb knife, and well worth a look.

A Ritter Grip would be a good choice as well, but I don't think you could find one for a decent price right now.

Why not just get the S30V version? It holds an edge much better than 440C, though I'm honestly interested how the 440C dulls so quickly as I haven't had that experience with BM's 440C myself. Really thick and abrasive cardboard? Your description actually makes me think there's a wire edge left when you resharpen, so maybe there's something there, but then again maybe not. I would expect that your stropping would take care of that.

If you can find something in M4 or 20CV, those would probably treat you really well. I don't think the 154cm steel would be much of an upgrade for you. S30V which has been a mainstay for benchmade for a while should treat you really well and it does quite well when cutting abrasive materials like cardboard and carpet.

A Ritter grip in 20CV would be a nice choice as would the BM freak. The super freak would be a great choice with the M4 steel blade.

How much are you looking for something different and how much do you want the same? The freak, griptilian, barrage, and presidio are all semi-similar in the handle shape and sizes but if you're looking for something bigger or smaller, carries significantly different in pocket, or has a different look/feel, then we could recommend something different for you.

My choices seem to be S30V, 20CV or 154CM on the open market. G10 is definitely an upgrade over plastic handles, so I'm thinking 20CV for the win.

Edit: Custom shop with S90V is $7 cheaper than $550-1. Anyone make custom wood handles for these? I'm thinking Koa or Black ash Burl? BTW Damn another obsession started......

Last edited:
I'm with everybody else in sticking with that model in a newer version. I'm a big fan of BM's 550 & 555 knives. Yours is a full-sized Grip, model 550. If you're OK with the size, then they're available from BM in S30V & the standard Noryl, FRN-type handles. They also come standard as the 550-1 with grey & blue G10 & 20CV steel. That's a really good model for increased edge holding. I think the corrosion resistance and toughness of the blade will be similar to 440C, but the edge holding will be way better. And it's not too hard to sharpen, either.

If you want to build your own, the custom shop has the Grip and mini-Grip in their lineup. You can also get it with a modified sheepsfoot blade & hole opener, but be warned that the new 550 / 555 models do not have hollow ground blades like the older 550 & 555 did. They're sort of flat sabre-ground now.

I'm actually carrying a 550HG SBK in 154CM right now. Personally, I'd buy a plain 550s. That'd give me S30V in the standard scales, which I like more than G10 scales. The Noryl / FRN stuff is a double tough material that'll go to extreme lengths to absorb shock and protect the "innards" of the knife. G10 is too dense and rigid for my taste in a worker knife. I've damaged G10 before just in normal work mishaps. None of my FRN type Benchmades or Spydercos have suffered any damage when they've had the same kind of drops and kicks happen to them.

But that's just me. A lot of folks don't like the way the standard handles feel or how they sound when they close the knife so they buy other handle materials.

ETA: Just saw where you were asking about scale makers. Keyman & Death of All Things (DOAT) both do very nice work on Benchmades in different materials. I have a Grip with DOAT scales and he did outstanding work on this knife.

Last edited:
Back