Looking for any info about this U.S.N. knife

I am just asking for anything anyone could tell me about this lovely knife I picked up. I have not been able to find anything exactly like it online. Any help would be appreciated.

IMAG0124_zpsarqvqzhv.jpg

IMAG0125_zpsuipmhzgd.jpg

IMAG0126_zpsi3h17tgj.jpg

It's a Camillus made reproduction of the WESTERN L71,(SeaBee) knife of WW2. First time I've seen one that was marked Camillus. Camillus was making these by 1996, however those were marked Western and came with a different sheath than yours.
Back in 1985, Western/Coleman reintroduced the knife for the first time since WW2 production. Those knives have a date code on the blade by the Western name and the leather sheath that came with them was marked USN.
Looking thru the available old catalogs on the Collectors of Camillus website I haven't found an example of one of these. Doesn't look like they had them in 2003 or 2006.
Cool example, thanks for posting.
Also I don't know if any of the original Western L71's were marked USN. The few I've seen weren't.

It's a Camillus made reproduction of the WESTERN L71,(SeaBee) knife of WW2. First time I've seen one that was marked Camillus. Camillus was making these by 1996, however those were marked Western and came with a different sheath than yours.
Back in 1985, Western/Coleman reintroduced the knife for the first time since WW2 production. Those knives have a date code on the blade by the Western name and the leather sheath that came with them was marked USN.
Looking thru the available old catalogs on the Collectors of Camillus website I haven't found an example of one of these. Doesn't look like they had them in 2003 or 2006.
Cool example, thanks for posting.
Also I don't know if any of the original Western L71's were marked USN. The few I've seen weren't.

I picked it up in a really messy gun shop that had all kinds of things strew about everywhere. I found it in a cardboard box full of junk, and he didn't want much so I figured it was going to be something like you said. Many thanks for your reply and sorting through the data you have.

Last edited:
There are other folks here that know a lot more about the particulars of both companies. They maybe able to shed more light on this one.
It's a good functional knife, and there may be more to learn about this one.

Back