Looking for combat knife maker

(( Please leave in General Knife, OP looking for advice, not a knifemaker yet. -- Esav. ))

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice here. I'm looking for a maker that can make me a hardcore deployment fixed blade I love my Striders and my Emersons but it's time to have something to my specs that will survive another decade or so of combat (assuming I can last that long) and still be in my family for a few generations.
I took a long hard look at a custom Winkler blade since there are a lot of them in the community right now, but I thought I'd see what else was out there and maybe have something made with a bit of my own flair.
I'd like to spend less than $500 but can budge if the blade is what I want. A maker that specializes in tough, convex ground carbon steel bowies would be ideal. I want something with a bit more traditional flavor. Other specs and requirements can be discussed with individual makers.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Hooah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if what I make is in the direction you're thinking, but I'm doing an increasing number of blades for military customers. Check out my website in my signiature and if it looks like something you would want more information about, send me a PM or and e-mail.

I do forge-finished blades mostly from 5160 or 1084 with Micarta or hardened paracord handles, with Kydex sheaths.

First of all, thank you for your service. All my contact info. is in my sigline. Email or call me and we can discuss options and I will give you a price quote. I'd be honored to make your idea of a true custom a reality.

Darrin

Not sure why this got moved since this wasn't a direct solicitation. I'm actually interested in other forum member's experience with custom makers and opinions of their work. That's something I don't think I'll get in the wanted ads. Please advise.
Darrin, email sent.

Hey guys, I posted previously but it got moved with no explanation so I'll try again. I'm looking to have a custom deployment blade made to my specs. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on who I should contact?
Thanks in advance.

Sure would be nice if someone would give me an explanation as to why my posts keeps getting moved instead of just hiding behind their keyboard. Maybe a suggestion as to how I can find what I'm looking for in your forum. Nice to see the admins here treat the new guy.

No one is hiding behind a keyboard. Your request was worded very close to line of asking for someone who could make a knife for you, which is why it got moved to Wanted: Knifemaker / Craftsman / Related Services.

We have so many posts we try to fit them into what looks like the best forum. The best place to ask about a problem is in Tech Support at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/f...upport-General-Q-amp-A-Site-Feedback-amp-More

Just a few thoughts-

I'm not a veteran, but I've known quite a few, including the ones in my family.

First- While I can certainly understand the desire for a high-quality, custom-made knife to take into combat, it is a fact that many US soldiers have been served quite well by very inexpensive knives like the old Kabar. In fact, the simple Kabar has served US troops through some of the most intense combat that human beings have ever experienced (WW2, Vietnam).

Second- Do you really think that you're going to need to use a knife in such a way that you would require a $500 custom knife? From everything I've heard from current vets, fixed-blades don't get used much in combat. And many who bring large fixed-blades into combat zones often wind up not carrying them because of their size, weight, and the cramped spaces inside of vehicles. They come to realize that it's a piece of gear that they really don't need so they don't carry it.

Third- While I can understand the desire to pass down a knife to future generations, there is certainly no garuntee that those future generations will be interested in knives or care one bit about some old knife that belonged to dad or grandad. Also, if you did ever use that knife to kill someone, I doubt you would want to pass it on to your kids. At least that's been the opinion of vets that I've known.

Fourth- I've often heard veterans say "Don't carry anything into combat that you can't afford to lose". From what I've been told, in the chaos and frenzy of combat, gear can be lost. Not to mention losses that occurr simply from troops being repeatedly transfered from one place to another. Also, not all soldeirs are honorable, honest men. Sadly, theft does occurr among the ranks, and an expensive custom knife can be a deffinite target for thieves. At some point, that expensive knife is going to be out of your sight, and at the mercy of thieves. I once heard a vet say "Going into combat with a $500 knife makes as much sense as going into combat wearing a gold Rolex watch".

Lastly, and more to my point, perhaps you would be better off saving most of your custom-knife budget for other things. Uncle Sam doesn't pay it's soldiers a lot of money. It might seem like a lot of money at first, but that money goes fast and doesn't come back. I often see soldiers buying motorcycles or other vehicles only to sell them at a loss because they are desperate for money or lose them to reposession because they can't keep up with the payments. And there are a lot of vets who are out of work and can't find a job after they leave the service.

Like I said, I can certainly understand the desire to own a custom knife, and I don't want to cost any custom knife makers any business, but I think that perhaps one of the best favors a person can do for a soldier is to talk them OUT of making an unnecessary, expensive purchase, like an expensive custom combat knife. Of course if you are rich, then that's different.

Randall Made would suit your requirements, ought to "last" a decade, or more...

That would be top end of your price range, lower range would be Anza Knives.

Both would likely be around long after you are gone.

This is from a Jarhead grunt.I own several custom knives now.The ones that I can say will perform the way you describe are Scott Gossman his big boar tusker will laugh at any thing you throw at it.Bill Siegle,Chad Hill,Jeremy Horton all make knives that will perform for you. There are many great makers on this forum but these are ones that I have experience using and would trust my life with their knives!!!!
Watch your six brother and come home safe!

I appreciate the advice. Sincerly I do, but this isn't my first go around. I'm not going to go into details about who I am, where I've been, I'm not Jack Bauer but I definately don't want or need attention like some units that always seem to be in the news. Nor am I rich, but I know what good gear is worth. I know what knives are for in combat, I know what they get used for and how they get abused, lost, stolen etc... I've carried Kabars along with just about every make of blade easily available on the open market. Currently I carry Striders and Emersons almost exclusivly. Why? Because they work AND they don't fail when it counts. A Kabar and a Gerber multitool is a great setup and will serve you well, so will a stock Ford F-150, but it won't last long on the Baja circuit if you get my drift.

I appreciate the advice. Sincerly I do, but this isn't my first go around. I'm not going to go into details about who I am, where I've been, I'm not Jack Bauer but I definately don't want or need attention like some units that always seem to be in the news. Nor am I rich, but I know what good gear is worth. I know what knives are for in combat, I know what they get used for and how they get abused, lost, stolen etc... I've carried Kabars along with just about every make of blade easily available on the open market. Currently I carry Striders and Emersons almost exclusivly. Why? Because they work AND they don't fail when it counts. A Kabar and a Gerber multitool is a great setup and will serve you well, so will a stock Ford F-150, but it won't last long on the Baja circuit if you get my drift.
I understand completely. My advice was based on the possibility that you might be new to the military. It's not at all uncommon for new recruits to come here and ask for recommendations on buying expensive combat/fighting knives. And quite often, they don't even know what type of unit they're going to be in. Sometimes they haven't even gone through basic training yet.

But I can certainly understand that an experienced soldier who has already been there and back, and knows what his personal needs are, would want to get the very best to fill those needs. Good luck in your search. And stay safe over there.

Tom Halloran Knives
Josiah Gravelle (He's a member here)

You already mentioned Daniel Winkler. I'd send him an email or call him about what you have in mind.

Not being rude, just blunt.. If you are an experienced combat vet with alot of field experience, and you intend to be in combat "another decade" then you probably don't need to ask what knife to carry or who can make it on an internet forum. Your unit more than likely already has established habits of carry, and custom makers who fulfill your needs.

If you are in a regular unit, you already have SOP and your company commander or platoon leader is gonna shit-can any non-SOP gear. If you are in a irregular SO unit, and you have gear "latitude" your best advice would come from your senior chief or team leader.

Best of luck, from one vet... to another

Not being rude, just blunt.. If you are an experienced combat vet with alot of field experience, and you intend to be in combat "another decade" then you probably don't need to ask what knife to carry or who can make it on an internet forum. Your unit more than likely already has established habits of carry, and custom makers who fulfill your needs.

There are a lot of custom makers. It's doubtful that he knows of them all or his unit has one on stand-by that is able to meet everyone's aesthetic needs.

If you are in a regular unit, you already have SOP and your company commander or platoon leader is gonna shit-can any non-SOP gear. If you are in a irregular SO unit, and you have gear "latitude" your best advice would come from your senior chief or team leader.

Speaking as a Marine, my unit had a lot of rules, having a 1st Sgt who just returned from being a Drill Master at a recruit depot. We were, however, allowed to carry any knife or knives we wanted as long as it didn't interfere with the mandatory gear or safety of the team.

To the OP, it appears your familiar with Daniel Winkler. He makes many traditionally styled knives every year. I doubt you could get one in a reasonable amount of time by just ordering it, as he is typically quite back-logged. I think the Field knife with wood handles is quite classic looking though. Also, the Strider CMFK is a great looking knife as well, available off the shelf at at least one retailer.

But, based on this:

A maker that specializes in tough, convex ground carbon steel bowies would be ideal.

I'm almost certain that there is a Bark River knife currently available that would meet your needs. The STS-5 perhaps?

I spent 6 years in the Army Military Police--and I appreciate your service

There are MANY Custom makers here that can make you the knife you want

I suggest you look up Bill Siegle on the internet and check out his work

I have tested well over 100 of his knives--and they are EXCELLENT

As are the knives from Scott Gossman,Bryan Breeden,Jeremy Horton,Chad Hill,and others

PM me for more information and photos

Dr.Bill

Back