Looking for CRK Neil Roberts "Users"

Hello Men,

This is my first post on this forum. I own a Neil Roberts as well. I love it but I haven't had the balls to use it in the field yet.:eek:

I'm looking for some feedback on you guys who actually use their CRT Neil Roberts knives. When you put it though its paces how are they holding up? Any edge problems? Is the gunkote finish really durable? Anyone using it in a saltwater enviorment??? have any complaints?

It's the most expensive knive I ever bought and I guess I need a little reassurence and a boot in the ass to use it "Like a Man"

Thanks in advance for you feedback

82nd

You might want to check out this review of a CRK "Green Beret" knife (which is pretty much the same knife).

Aside of that........,all CRK's are meant to be users and with their warranty I wouldn't be afraid to put mine to some rigorous work!!!
Ofcourse I do not have a "Neil Roberts",but I do have a Shadow III which sees hard use and I love it!!! (and so does "he"!!)

Raoul...

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
If it's made by CRK it is meant to be used. So get off your ass and get to using it. You're a soldier, use it as they intended. If when you get back from wherever you are (or going to) you can send it back to CRK for a clean-up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• savelife.jpg
    savelife.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 641
First off, I wouldn’t agree that the Neil Roberts and Green Beret are similar knives.

Neil Roberts usage so far:

The handle is very comfortable, and provides a secure grip.

The choil is the right size for choking up on the blade for fine work.

The coating does as KG coating always does (turns gray as you scuff it up.

The point is good for detailed work, and the slight recurve gives the knife more cutting ability.

It is a great cutting tool.

I’m not game to beat on S30V the way I do on my A2 one-piece knives, so I can’t comment on its ability as a chopper or pry bar.

I’m waiting for a high ride sheath from David Brown, which will make the knife easier to wear on horseback.

raoul,
I read that review before I bought the Green Beret. I bought it for my Dad(10th SF). I doubt he'll use it. So it will be mine some day. The guy from review site really beats the snot out of the knives he tests. Is he a highly respected member of the Knive community? (I'm new to high end knives)

KV,
Thanks for the info and the kick in the butt. I loved that guy in Full Metal Jacket!

djolney,
thanks for the report! I love the way it fits my hand as well!
I agree that the S30V isn't as tough as the A2. I hope I never need to chop a hole in cinder block or use it as a pry bar.

I would still like to here from anyone who's used it it a saltwater enviorment if possible.

thanks again, 82nd......out

I would think it would do well. I guess it depends on how long you soak in saltwater and if you have an opportunity to rinse it once and a while. It's not a diving knife. Botom line is that you'll probably going to have to just jump in and start using it like Ken said. Yeah it's an expensive knife to thrash, but as has been said Chris makes his knives to be used hard but thet ain't cheap (but good things in life never are). You can expect CRK to be supportive in any necessary way to keep your knife in top shape. I had a friend that I worked with that was in the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam. He wasn't much of a talker, but once I knew him well he told me stories I can't repeat. Take care please!:(

82nd Airborne said:
The guy from review site really beats the snot out of the knives he tests. Is he a highly respected member of the Knive community? (I'm new to high end knives)

He does like to test his knives in the most brutal ways....,and the way he tests the knives,you can break every knife,trust me!!

Well "Cliff Stamp" (if I'm correct) is a member here,and allthough opinions vary about him and his way of testing and I don't know him personally,I can tell you he knows a lot more of knives than me!

Btw. don't let the fact that he can break a knife stop you from using that knife!!!
I just bought a Buck "solution" and he tested that knife here but that doesn't stop me from buying!
Equally important for me is the manufacturers warranty (how do they stand behind their own product!),and believe me......CRK is top-notch!!!

I would also consider it an honour to carry and use the knife that my dad carried with him to hell and back!!!

Hope I helped you out a bit!

Take care,
Raoul...

You’ll notice that Cliff has to work quite hard to break some knives, indicating that they will do fine in the real world.

Cliff is a total Spyderco fanboy. If you read his posts he's horribly biased against any knife that doesn't have the Spyderco logo on it. I like what he does, but I wish he would do it with an open mind. Another thing is he sure thinks he knows more about knives than basically every manufacturer (other than Spyderco).

Take him with a large grain of salt (if not an entire saltlick).

Smegmalicious said:
Cliff is a total Spyderco fanboy. If you read his posts he's horribly biased against any knife that doesn't have the Spyderco logo on it. I like what he does, but I wish he would do it with an open mind. Another thing is he sure thinks he knows more about knives than basically every manufacturer (other than Spyderco).

Take him with a large grain of salt (if not an entire saltlick).

that's pretty funny:thumbup:

I'm sure the guy's a wealth of information and knows a whole lot more than me.

I've read a bunch of his reviews and he seems like he deliberately tries to destroy the knives..Why? can't you just put through some tough tests without try to intentionally kill the knive?

Well thanks for the info guys I appreicate it! :thumbup:

I have the Green Beret 5.5" and the 7" also and I have 2 Neil Roberts, one of which is carry with me everyday (along with a Fallkniven F1GM). I have not beat up the N.R. or do I any of my knives. I am surrounded by salt water in the Puget Sound of Washington so there is a lot of salt in the air. The N.R. has cut anything I have wanted it to with out getting dull yet. I cut a lot of thin plastic with it and it is still factory sharp. The handle fits my like a glove with the slight down turn as apposed to the more streight handle of the G.B's and the blade length of the Neil Roberts is just about perfect so that it does not get in your way during little things like sitting down and the split belt loop when fitted with one loop on each side of a pants belt loop does not slide around on the belt.
This may not answer your questions but HU-AHH you want to know how it carries too.

FWIW
:D
Ciao,
Ron

djolney said:
It’s destructive testing rather than real world application.

This is true, but it's good to know which ones are harder to destruct.

Then you get a good idea of real world longevity.

Rob

Not really. Destructive testing is just that. Longevity testing would require more true to life use, not slamming the blade of your knife into cinderblocks to see if the edge can take it.

i own a warrior and icringe at the thought of abusing a knife in that way. the neil roberts is my first high end knife so im not going to use it for anything other than a B.O.B. but eventually ill buy a yarborough and use that as a chore knife.

82nd Airborne said:
that's pretty funny:thumbup:

I'm sure the guy's a wealth of information and knows a whole lot more than me.

I've read a bunch of his reviews and he seems like he deliberately tries to destroy the knives..Why? can't you just put through some tough tests without try to intentionally kill the knive?

Well thanks for the info guys I appreicate it! :thumbup:

Hey 82nd, first off many thanks for your service to our country. Cliff does try to destroy the knives, it's called destructive testing, and the point is to discover what a knife can take before it fails. Many of us here have a problem with the way he goes about it though. His tests really don't reflect real world usage in a lot of cases, and he is definately biased toward knives made by certain companies, eg Spyderco, Busse and Swamp Rat. I guess there's a place for his methodology, but as someone already stated take him with a huge grain of salt. I'd put a lot more faith in reviews posted by someone like K.V. Collucci, who is a real world fireman, or some of the other members here who are actually soldiers and would use these knives in actual hard use situations. Just my two cents though.

Lagarto