Looking for info

Hello everyone, I received this Tree Brand Barlow in a trade. I have never seen one like this before, but I really like it since I’m a fan of Barlow style knives. Any info on it would be appreciated. I would like to know things like where it was made, blade steel, age, etc. Thanks guys!!!
D6-D353-E4-C93-F-4-D3-F-B205-94-E874-A9-FC1-F.jpg

We'll need to see the tang stamps to help determine the age and where it was made. Boker has changed the tag stamp a couple times in the century plus they've been making knives.

Generally speaking the "Tree Brand" is Boker's top of the line, and are made in Germany.
"Solingen" on the tang stamp indicates made in Germany of all German sourced and manufactured components. "Made in Germany" without Solingen on the tag stamp indicates one or more components of the knife were imported, with the knife assembled in Germany.

I don't know what the name/designation of the carbon steel Boker uses is.
I do know that in use, it is at least as good as, if not better than, 1095 insofar as edge retention, ease of sharpening, ability to take and hold an acute 10 DPS edge without rolling or chipping, etc.

Last edited:
We'll need to see the tang stamps to help determine the age and where it was made.
Generally speaking the "Tree Brand" is Boker's top of the line, and are made in Germany.
"Solingen" on the tang stamp indicates made in Germany of all German sourced and manufactured components "Made in Germany" without the "Solingen" on the tag stamp indicates one or more of the component parts were imported.

I don't know what carbon steel Boker uses I do know whatever it is at least as good as or better than 1095 in use insofar as edge holding, ease of sharpening, etc. is concerned.
This one is weird because the only stamp on the blade is 493. It doesn’t have a logo other than what’s on the bolsters.

What you've got there is a nice Boker Barlow. You might find more information over in the Barlow thread.
I would have to do some re-reading because I can't remember if these were made in Solingen, Germany or USA.
As far as estimating a date, Delrin handles are newer than bone handles, but there may have been some overlap of years. The "fat tree" bolster stamps are newer than the "skinny tree" stamps.

Skinny tree:
erKrh54.jpg

Fat tree:
AnlUPad.jpg

This one is weird because the only stamp on the blade is 493. It doesn’t have a logo other than what’s on the bolsters.
A quickie web search says the Boker 493 is a two blade Barlow with genuine saw cut bone covers, from the 1950's to 1970's.
From the looks of "things", the later versions have three pins. The third added near the bolsters.

r8shell r8shell when did Boker start recommending the obtuse 20 DPS edge angle as show in your paperwork in the lower eye candy photo?

When I was a lad/youngling 15 to 20 DPS is what you put on your axe/hatchet/tomahawk/Froe and possibly your "heavy" cleaver used to quarter and/or split the pelvic bone on your deer, oinker/boar and other food critters, (if you didn't use your axe or hatchet for that task).
Knives were 8 to 12 DPS (10 DPS was the target angle).
Straight Razors were 5 to 7 DPS, using the spine to set the angle.

Last edited:
r8shell r8shell when did Boker start recommending the obtuse 20 DPS edge angle as show in your paperwork in the lower eye candy photo?

When I was a lad/youngling 15 to 20 DPS is what you put on your axe/hatchet/tomahawk/Froe and possibly your "heavy" cleaver used to quarter and/or split the pelvic bone on your deer, oinker/boar and other food critters, (if you didn't use your axe or hatchet for that task).
Knives were 8 to 12 DPS (10 DPS was the target angle).
Straight Razors were 5 to 7 DPS, using the spine to set the angle.
That paperwork is from the early 80's when Cooper Group owned Boker. I suppose different brands recommended various angles in their "sharpening recommendations" I honestly don't remember any of them recommending such acute angles as you do. Here's something from Case that I found on the interwebs:
oWZoyf7.jpg

T TheEdge01 , sorry for the thread drift. My advise is to sharpen that Barlow up at whatever angle you like and put it in your pocket. Then start looking for more. (I've got a clip blade version, and a spear blade, but haven't yet found the one with a sheepfoot) :):thumbsup:

That paperwork is from the early 80's when Cooper Group owned Boker. I suppose different brands recommended various angles in their "sharpening recommendations" I honestly don't remember any of them recommending such acute angles as you do. Here's something from Case that I found on the interwebs:
oWZoyf7.jpg

T TheEdge01 , sorry for the thread drift. My advise is to sharpen that Barlow up at whatever angle you like and put it in your pocket. Then start looking for more. (I've got a clip blade version, and a spear blade, but haven't yet found the one with a sheepfoot) :):thumbsup:
Thank you!!! This one will definitely find its way into my carry rotation.

Back