Looking for new edc firearm.

It's hard to reccomend anything with such a light criteria. Finding the right gun is such a personal thing. What works for me might not work for you. It would help if we knew more about what YOU want in a EDC gun.

It also helps if you can try the gun you're thinking about before buying it. That way you know what you're getting into.

As for me:

My personal requirements can vary. Some days, I might be okay with a Kel-Tec P-32 in .32 acp (it's one of the most concealable guns I've ever seen). Other days I might be in the mood for a .38 special revolver. Those are my casual guns. If I've got reason to elevate my personal defense level, I might go with a subcompact 9mm and a few spare mags. If I need to take things further than a Glock 19 or Glock 17 fits the bill.

I prefer an EDC gun with quality iron sights, though this is not always easy to get on the smaller guns. I like a gun with moderate recoil (some smaller guns are very unpleasant to shoot!), and decent ergonomics. My EDC guns need to have a decent trigger before I am comfortable carrying them (my brother's Walther PP has a godawful DA trigger). I like double action triggers on small guns, or single actions with a good safety. I don't like guns like the Glock 26 that have a light trigger and no manual safety. I don't like a gun that I have to carry with an empty chamber. I won't go with less than a .32 acp, and even then, the gun has to be pretty awesome (like the P-32).

Guns I've liked

Glock 17 & 19: Reliable, accurate, easy to clean, good ergonomics, generous capacity.

Kel Tec P-11: 10 shot 9mm in a very small, light package. Sights are decent, and the trigger smoothes out over time to a very nice double action. Not the easiest gun to shoot, but it's possible to shoot well with a little practice. Magazines are made by Mec-Gar, and hi-cap Smith & Wesson mags will work too. The optional belt clip allows you to mexican carry effortlessly. Inexpensive, and has cool accessories.

Kel-Tec P-32: The best mousegun ever made, in my opinion. Incredibly small, thin, and light, but has mild recoil. This model also has an optional belt clip. This gun carries and conceals like a dream.

S&W Model 60: This .38 special revolver is basically a stainless chiefs special. Mine has lasergrips, and a nice smooth trigger. I like the simplicty of these little guns, and it's much easier to load and unload them at the end of the day than it is to do so with an automatic.

I'm confused.. You like the Glock 17 and 19, but don't like the 26 because it has a light trigger, and no safety :confused:

All Glocks have similar triggers, and no external safety.

I carried a colt defender (so not a full size 1911) for close to a year but had to sell it (long story). I carried it fine but would like to go a little lighter in weight. But want the thin profile of a single stack. But also want a higher caliber such as the .40. I know that narrows my choices down drastically but still wanted to see my options.

Thanks for all the great input so far. Like i said. Im going to the gun show this weekend so ill keep an eye out for the previously mentioned options.

Just got my tax return and paid today. Gun show is tomorrow. Oh man, im in trouble now.

Gun show here in Nac the 23rd and 24th of this month. Every time I stop to look at guns locally, my new wife tells me, "Go ahead and get it." If she persists, I won't be able to wait for the show.

(Looking for another .45 and a couple of .22's.)

Gun show here in Nac the 23rd and 24th of this month. Every time I stop to look at guns locally, my new wife tells me, "Go ahead and get it." If she persists, I won't be able to wait for the show.

(Looking for another .45 and a couple of .22's.)

Shell say that until the show comes. Then... "Well, you dont REALLY need another gun"

I've been loving the XD-s in 45acp. I've carried it since September of 2012. Granted, I only had a month of warm weather, but it conceals in a hybrid IWB under a t-shirt just fine. And talk about a shooter....I'm keeping up in accuracy with 4" XD and M&P shooters with ease. For such a small .45, it really is a great gun.

Here's my EDC...although I've switched the clips to Crossbreed J-hooks.

IMG_7538.jpg

I don't own any hand guns but If I did and could carry it around. I would get a walther ppk, there so comfortable in hand.

I don't own any hand guns but If I did and could carry it around. I would get a walther ppk, there so comfortable in hand.

I'll agree that the in-hand comfort is there with the PPK. The recoil is very manageable too. The Sig 232 is very similar but both are heavy for being .380's. If I was going to go with a .380 I'd opt for the Ruger LCP due to its DAO manual of arms. Second would be a S&W Bodyguard or Sig 238 but both of them have more levers and buttons than I like.

That is the problem with carry firearms. You have to balance comfort in hand, concealability and comfort OWB and/or IWB in all temperatures and with all types of dress, manageability, "knock down power", reliability, how well the manufacturer backs their product, and manual of arms. In the hand comfort usually ranks pretty low on the list as that is probably the one place you hope your carry gun never ends up.

E11B901B-B5EF-4780-9177-49F9810E8177-3375-0000019127BF4355_zps60a4e03b.jpg

Well, this is what i left the gun show with today. S&W M&P .40c and Bodyguard .380. Ive handled and shot both in the past so I was familiar with both. I was able to check out some of the khars suggested by some of you and while they were what I was looking for in regards to size and concealment, i didn't quite like the grips on them. I chose the two of these together based on my own personal lifestyle and i know from experience that these will live up to my expectations. On a side note, please don't think I'm prejudice against against any other firearms. Im also a Glock, CZ, and Colt fan and would have probably purchased the new Glock 29 gen 4 instead, if they had one. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Well, this is what i left the gun show with today. S&W M&P .40c and Bodyguard .380.

Great choices. Congrats!

My carry choice is an M&P9c so you'll get no grief from me :p. I am in the market for a smaller pocket pistol for hot weather and the .380 Bodyguard is on the list right behind the Ruger LCP I mentioned.

Great choices. Congrats!

My carry choice is an M&P9c so you'll get no grief from me :p. I am in the market for a smaller pocket pistol for hot weather and the .380 Bodyguard is on the list right behind the Ruger LCP I mentioned.

My dad has the LCP and its a great gun too. The bodyguard is just a little taller than the lcp and has a stronger trigger pull imo. You cant beat the price of the lcp also.

Great choices!

The only .380 I ever owned was a Colt Government. It was like an ex of mine. I loved her, but I didn't trust her. She was small, fun, and easy to handle, but loose and unreliable.

That is the problem with carry firearms. You have to balance comfort in hand, concealability and comfort OWB and/or IWB in all temperatures and with all types of dress, manageability, "knock down power", reliability, how well the manufacturer backs their product, and manual of arms. In the hand comfort usually ranks pretty low on the list as that is probably the one place you hope your carry gun never ends up.

Yep. Ruger LC9 fits the bill for me in all those regards.

I'll agree that the in-hand comfort is there with the PPK. The recoil is very manageable too. The Sig 232 is very similar but both are heavy for being .380's. If I was going to go with a .380 I'd opt for the Ruger LCP due to its DAO manual of arms. Second would be a S&W Bodyguard or Sig 238 but both of them have more levers and buttons than I like.

If you're looking for a polymer 380, look at the Taurus TCP. I'm not a huge Taurus person, but I've yet to have to work on one or send one back to the factory. I can't even recommend the Bodyguard 380 to people cause I've had to work on so damn many of them. The TCP has advantages over the LCP, like better feel, trigger pull, more usuable sights, and the slide locks back on the last round which I think is a plus.

But, the Sig 238 is still a tank and IMO the best

Great choices!

The only .380 I ever owned was a Colt Government. It was like an ex of mine. I loved her, but I didn't trust her. She was small, fun, and easy to handle, but loose and unreliable.

I thought the only .380 was the colt mustang

Springfield xds .45 I got one because i wanted something slimmer than the glock 27 i used to carry. And while the specs between the two are not a huge difference IT makes a hugh difference when carrying itwb. I love it no problems with jams except when i bought a cheap box of steel jacket ammo. All the other rounds fired with no problem.

I was at my lgs today and almost took home a Kimber Solo, love how it felt in my hand, but hear alot about kimber reliability issues scares me.

Back