Looking for some info about Ontario's Utilitac's.

I'm looking at these babies on ebay, and the Utilitac II is substantially more costly than the Utilitac 1. 3x the price. Does anyone owning both of these great knives care to impart some knowlege?

The U2 is larger by around 1 inch I believe, at around 8 1/2 opened. While I like the size, I'm not sure as to whether a knife of that size will attract the wrong kind of attention in public.

Also, while I'm at it, are serrations really that important for EDC uses? I'm not too fond of not being able to sharpen them without altering the factory grind.

One last thing, what is the general consensus on tacticool black coatings? I believe it is Epoxy on the black Utilitacs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a guy on ebay selling the Utilitac I for 10 bucks, i pciked up a couple of them. They were sharp out of the box, Utilitac 1 is 440a steel, Utilitac 2 is Aus 8 and a bit larger. For a EDC knife Utilitac 1 is a tad bulky but a decent knife, espcirally since i paid ten bucks for one.

If they are heat treated in the same quality, is 440c a better material than aus-8? Or is it too brittle or not sharpen as well?

One last thing, what is the general consensus on tacticool black coatings? I believe it is Epoxy on the black Utilitacs.

I have black Utilitac II and the black stuff on the blade to me looks like just some kind of paint. Looks really cheap too, wish I had bought the one without the "coating". Otherwise a good knife for the price.

The difference in price, at least for the one's I found, was only $12. Difference in price is probably due to the II being a larger size.:) If both steels are heat treated correctly, then I would think the 440C would have a smaller edge over the AUS8, but probably not enough to turn around for. For me I would take the II because of it's bigger size. Far as serrations go, unless you cut a LOT of rope, I'd stay with the plain edge. I would also get a satin/bb finish instead of the black, if it is an epoxy or teflon based coating as it will show scratches and after a while the coating looks really bad. If it were black DLC (Diamond Like Carbon), or even a BC (Boron Carbide) coating then it would be a much tougher coating, and would stand up to everything you threw at it!

Last edited:
The difference in price, at least for the one's I found, was only $12. Difference in price is probably due to the II being a larger size.:) If both steels are heat treated correctly, then I would think the 440C would have a smaller edge over the AUS8, but probably not enough to turn around for. For me I would take the II because of it's bigger size. Far as serrations go, unless you cut a LOT of rope, I'd stay with the plain edge. I would also get a satin/bb finish instead of the black, if it is an epoxy or teflon based coating as it will show scratches and after a while the coating looks really bad. If it were black DLC (Diamond Like Carbon), or even a BC (Boron Carbide) coating then it would be a much tougher coating, and would stand up to everything you threw at it!

Can you post a link to the site? I hope they ship to Canada...

Back