Recommendation? Looking for something I am not even sure exists

I have been looking for something in particular for a while now but have had no luck in finding it because it either has a name that I am not aware of or is unusual enough to require it to be custom made. What I am looking for is basically a machete with the back thickness of a camping ax to give it some real heft. (maybe not QUITE that thick but it gives you an idea) Bolo shape is prefered, but I am not too picky on specific style as long as it is a more traditional type and doesn't have a huge bend like a kuri. I am hoping to find it in a one-handed design with about a foot to foot and a half length. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

This is a bit outside of my wheelhouse, but I strongly relate to the title of this thread. Hundreds of search result pages were browsed in the pursuit of the potentially extant.

Anyway, since I know next to nothing about outdoorsy fixed blades, I’d like to vaguely point in the direction of Condor,
Tops, and Cold Steel as potential makers of the sturdy kukri-ish thing you are looking for.

I think some sort of Parang might be what you are looking for, and I strongly suggest looking into having one custom-made if production models don’t do it for you. You might spend as little as $200 to have a bespoke knife made.

+1 for Condor. Would a Hunters pal be a good one, or Cold Steel machete.

Last edited:
I have been looking for something in particular for a while now but have had no luck in finding it because it either has a name that I am not aware of or is unusual enough to require it to be custom made. What I am looking for is basically a machete with the back thickness of a camping ax to give it some real heft. (maybe not QUITE that thick but it gives you an idea) Bolo shape is prefered, but I am not too picky on specific style as long as it is a more traditional type and doesn't have a huge bend like a kuri. I am hoping to find it in a one-handed design with about a foot to foot and a half length. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Usually also a good idea to denote about how much money you would like to spend.

Comeuppance Comeuppance I think he was saying a knife NOT like a kukri.

This is a bit outside of my wheelhouse, but I strongly relate to the title of this thread. Hundreds of search result pages were browsed in the pursuit of the potentially extant.

Anyway, since I know next to nothing about outdoorsy fixed blades, I’d like to vaguely point in the direction of Condor,
Tops, and Cold Steel as potential makers of the sturdy kukri-ish thing you are looking for.

I think some sort of Parang might be what you are looking for, and I strongly suggest looking into having one custom-made if production models don’t do it for you. You might spend as little as $200 to have a bespoke knife made.

The machete pulled out around 7:30 in the linked video is a good, example of the back thickness I am looking for but even that blade is not thick enough. Basically, take a camp ax head fix it to a machete handle and lengthen it to like a foot and a half and that gives you a rough idea of what I am looking for as far as blade thickness.

As far as cost 300 is my limit but less is always better.

Starting to think custom is the best way to go.

Maybe a heavy cane knife / machete . Or just a very thick heavy chopping knife .

I'd be careful having something special made unless you work with someone that has an idea of what can function for your needs .

Another vote to look into Condor. Their golok machete is from rather thick stock (though it tapers near the tip). I'm sure they have another model near enough to your parameters.

What do you want to do with it? I’ll assume chopper.

Dunno that you will find anything quite as thick as you want, but I’ll echo the advice to take a look at Condor. The 13” Golok is as thick as I have seen, 6mm at the spine with a dramatic distal taper. It is a very good chopper, for a machete. It throws chips like an axe, rather than cutting deep, as a thiiner blade would. A lot of people say it needs a thinner grind to cut optimally. I don’t know enough to judge that, but with a thicker spine, it would be more difficult to get a thin grind.

The Golok also has a pretty heavy feel. The only reason it gets away with being so thick is that the blade is relatively narrow. If the spine were anywhere near as thick as a hatchet, or the tip as wide as a bolo, you might not be able to heft it comfortably.

The Condor Mini Duku Parang and the Pack Golok are more like 5mm. I suspect the other Condor choppers are in that range as well, but you would have to check the spec sheets.

I have been playing with bolos lately. They are thinner, but chop pretty well because of the weighted blade, with more weight concentrated toward the tip. They cut deep on the first cut, rather than throwing chips like the Golok. The Condor bolo may be thicker than my Tramontina and Imacasa bolos, which are around 2mm. My boy has one, but he is twenty miles away so I cannot check it readily. I would expect a bolo of 14-16” with a blade even as thick as 3mm would feel pretty heavy, even if it might chop pretty well.

I’m not trying to talk you out of your exact specs, only to suggest that there may be good reasons you can’t find what you are looking for readymade.

Last edited:
With those specs you might be looking for a cleaver more than a machete. Fire the google at these 2 things, they both have heft:

1. Imacasa 14 inch burriquito machete
2. Friedrich Dick "Italian Messer" Professional Cleaver--it has a point, so it doesn't look as "cleaverish."

Buck Fro?

Or Terava Skrama?

varusteleka-ter%C3%A4v%C3%A4-skrama-02.jpg

I've been looking into getting one of these Parabellums they seem pretty well made and in 5160 as well.

Something like this, maybe?
ddtR2pz.jpg

The spine is not axe thick; but the weight is definitely toward the front and its a good chopper. If I remember correctly, it's a 14" blade; and weighs in at something like 26 oz.
You probably won't find one at a shop, as the model is discontinued; but there's a Wanted To Buy section here.

Since you mentioned a bolo, there's also this
TCQdfhJ.jpg

13" blade. Fun; but not as good a chopper (IMO) as the first one... though it would probably be better regarded here. You'll have to turn to the secondary market for this one, too.

I think you're very much in the parang/golok territory. I think myparang would be a good place to start looking (several online stores have them available).

A word of caution, getting a super thick blade with a lot of length is a BUTT to use for extended periods because it's heavy. Axes can get away with the weight because they're 2-handed. I would not want to go much over 2 lbs unless you're pretty damn fit, or only need to chop a little here and there. This is directly aimed at the "thickness of an axe" comment.

I know you said no khukuri, but I highly recommend the Cold Steel Gurkha. It is 22 oz. which, combined with its design, allows it to slice green vegetation and also chop the hardest seasoned wood. The older SK5 steel is fantastic and the newer models are even better. The sheath is also superb. Good luck!

Back