Looking for the perfect 40th birthday puukko (to myself :D)

Living in Canada, most of my options for a classic birchbark handled puukko from a dealership is pretty limited... BUT seeing as my 40th birthday is coming up in March I thought "Why not save up and get a custom! (though working for a not for profit means that even $400 CAD would be a LOT of saving, so I thought I'd start now). Being a fella with big hands, this is probably the best idea anyhow.

So far I've tried to contact both Danijel / Malanika, and Pasi Hurttila, but have received no response. (I'm assuming it's because they are both so damn good that the wait time is somewhere in the years).

Any other recommendations for this prairie Canadian fella? Birchbark handle, a good steel (carbon or stainless), wanting it for carving and all purpose stuff that a puukko would be used for (not planning to baton the forest down).

Thanks for any help you all can be!

(PS: Yep, I've searched the forums lots, but most of the recommendations won't ship to Canada)

Malanika has a one year and a half waiting list, while Pasi has dropped knifemaking as full time job. He puts some puukkos for sale on his blog every now and then, usually during the summer.

I can suggest you to try to get in contact with Jari Liukko as well, either on Facebook or mail. He's a second generation master bladesmith, but has rather low prices given his quality.

Saku Honkilahti makes a beautiful puukko, and he works with birch bark. I suggest taking a look at the Nordiskaknivar blog. Should give you an idea of the puukkoseppa out there.

I treated myself to a puuko made by Jelio around a year ago, have used it lots and couldn't be happier with the quality Turnaround time was very fast and he made it to my preference for a very reasonable price
It's a well designed knife, made for use, and the sheath is equally good

This is a Japanese-inspired Puukko in DHIII W2....just happened to get pictures of it finished yesterday. :cool:

45C7AD5F-747D-4DD2-B051-C0270B6B0FE4.jpeg 43D25E75-0249-43D1-8CCD-9A45D0B37CAF.jpeg

Back