1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Looking for thin scales of wood.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Minibear464, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Minibear464

Minibear464

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm looking for wood around 1/8" thick, to use as a scale. And the knife is pretty small, so I'd only need a scale 4"x1.125"x0.125". However, if there's extra, it's okay, but the thing is I can't find any wood in the right thickness. The thinnest I can find is 3/8" thick, and it seems like such a waste of wood to sand it all down. Also, I don't have the equipment to halve a scale, so that's out of my options. Anyone know where to buy scales like this? Looking for cocobolo, ironwood, amboyna, snake, or any "fancy" wood.

2. Bismarck22

Bismarck22

Jun 16, 2012
    I'd call Burl Source. He will cut blocks into scales for free after ordering. I'd bet he would do them to your thickness.

3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    check the Woodcraft store in San Carlos or Dublin?

4. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Second the suggestion about Mark at Burl Source. He will help you out.

5. Minibear464

Minibear464

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, the only problem is that Burl Source is extremely pricey, and I'm looking for something that I can actually afford. :p Under $20 would probably be my limit.

6. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Woodcraft has a bin of 24" long thin exotic wood slats. They go from 1/8" to 1/4" thick. There are several woods that are good for handles.

7. JGarrison Knives

JGarrison Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 28, 2005
    Theres a place near the San Jose airport I want to check out, Global Wood Source.

8. JamesBro

JamesBro

Aug 21, 2012
    if your ever thru livermore, i can leave out some ironwood scales in whatever thickness you need. I cut up a couple large blocks and have more than I will use. I also am all over the east bay daily and can leave them anywhere. pleasanton to walnut creek. James
    ( i also have some 1 X 30 belts and a dead 1 x 30 sander which will not be replaced if anyone needs them)

9. PT Doc

PT Doc

Dec 24, 2011
    Could you elaborate on what are considered the better handle woods that Woodcraft has? Thanks

10. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    It's not very exotic, but I have some ipe (brazilian walnut). It looks like I'm pretty close to where you are. I work in San Jose just off Silver Creek and 101. If you want a piece, no charge.

Ric

11. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    You can split a scale with a simple fretsaw.