1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for vintage style sheath rivets

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by i4Marc, Oct 4, 2018.

1. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Anybody have any ideas where I could locate vintage style knife sheath rivets like those found on old Kabar sheaths?

Like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Hoping someone on here knows. I've got the same style sheath that I'm planning to replicate and would also love to source them.

3. camaroless

camaroless

Feb 8, 2015
    They look like split rivets. If so they can be purchased from a local hardware store or online.

hughd likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I've not seen em in any leather supplier I know of.

5. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    I'm thinking the 'real deal' is probably hard to near impossible to find. That being the case..... I'll likely just work on finding the next closest thing that I can, and try to use an aging technique to make them more period realistic.

6. camaroless

camaroless

Feb 8, 2015
    Search amazon for “split rivets” may not be identical to what you have but worth a try. They have been in use for a really long time.

ANovinc likes this.
  7. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Hey, @i4Marc, try Jay Cee Rivets out of MI. I forgot that I bought some split tail rivets from them awhile back for a repair I did for someone on an antique holster. That's where I"m going to look. My sheath, unfortunately, has two different style rivets, as if it weren't difficult enough already to find what I want......

IMG_20181006_081723.jpg IMG_20181006_081733.jpg

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    The top ones are easy Amy. Those are tubular rivets. Ya can get em from just about any leather supply place. Even a 1,000 pack which is how I get em are very reasonable. I keep em in brass, copper, nickel and stainless.

9. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    ANovinc,

Thanks for the heads up. In my case I think the split rivets are the right answer. In your case I think they are tubular rivets. The star shaped spread comes from the punch used, Take a look at the video below and advance to about 2:55.

10. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Wow, thanks Dave and i4Marc. I had no idea that the top rivets with the star pattern was nothing more than a tubular one set with a special tool. @i4Marc--the video was very helpful--thanks for posting that for me!