Looking into grinder to sharpen

I started watching some videos on belt grinder sharpening and I kind of want to give it a try. The common thing seems to be getting a HF 1x30 grinder and starting on that, but I read they're easy to outgrow and the speed is pretty fast for sharpening. What's the next step up? I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks.

I picked up a variable speed delta 8" grinder and the Multitool 2x48" belt grinder attachment. It works great for the money.

I am very happy with my 1x42" Kalamazoo belt grinder. Good speed for sharpening knives etc.
P10100011-vi.jpg

One thing I don't understand is the benefits or pros.and cons of 1x30, 1x42, 2x48 etc. Can someone explain?

Longer belt, more surface area, belts are more cost effective and last longer. ..

1x30 are fast for sharpening. I've done my share on one.

Biggest thing with them for me, was the 1x30 belts were not as smooth or vibration free for sharpening.
I have a 2x72 and 3000 rpm is fast and super easy to burn a tip on as well.

Slower is better for sharpening.

I need to get a 3 phase motor and VDF.

As it is, I kiss the edge and finish the tip on stones or sand paper on a dense rubber backing ( I tend to favor convex grinds at the moment for my self made knives).

One thing about grinder sharpening, i only do it when setting the initial edge, and not to re-sharpen unless I'm removing damage).

Grinder sharpening will remove much more metal than hand sharpening on stones or sandpaper.

So if you go that route, make sure you have speed control, and the appropriate belts.

Since Bigfattyt didn't mention 1x42" let me explain why I like the Kallamazoo. The belts are less money then the 2x72. They are available in a wide range of grits as are the 2x72". I go down to 20 micron belts and also have linen belts where I can put rouge or diamond spray on them. I have .50 micron diamond spray on mine. The speed of sharpening a knife with this machine is great. IMO
I finish knives right to the tip with no issues at all. If you don't use heavy pressure on the belts you can control the amt. of material you remove and how long the belt lasts. The finish on the edge can be brought to a nice mirror polish many times fasters then on stones. I sharpen knives for others in my area and the belts do a fine job with many returning customers. The last job I had was for 15 knives of all sizes. If I was making still knives (which I have done before) I would get a machine with 2x72" belts to remove the steel at a much faster rate.
Look at this post #9 It is a kalamazoo 1x42
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/belt-sander.1629297/#post-18625432

One thing I don't understand is the benefits or pros.and cons of 1x30, 1x42, 2x48 etc. Can someone explain?

The shorter belts don't last as long, tend to have more vibration and don't seem to lay as flat on the platten. One huge advantage to the 1x30 is that diamond belts are relatively inexpensive. This also requires a slower motor than the factory.

Am no expert but there are some factors to belt grinding that seem to be pretty consistent all other factors being equal.

Wider belts seem to lay flatter, finer abrasives are more likely to overheat the edge, higher grind speeds = longer belt life.

There is a big difference between well aligned idlers and drive pulley and ones that aren't - I did a good bit of work on my HF wheels to get them running smooth. Initially I got better results from a 3x21 hand belt sander fitted with metal cutting belts.

For a couple hundred bucks, and sharpening only?
You may want to look into a Tormek knock off.
They run slow, and use a water tray. Less likely to burn the edge.

I started with a HF 1x30... thought it was fine until I got something better (a Viel 1x42 in my case) and realized how bad the HF sander was. So, my .02... investing in something better initially is beneficial in the long run.

Good suggestions. I like my Kalamazoo 1x42 and Grizzley "water stone." Kalamazoo is faster and can do other things. Get one of these for $300 or less I'd guess.

I have heard the Kalamazoo a few times in here and in my own searching... what's a reputable site for that and belts/accessories? What combination of belts should I get for a good starting point? This is another case where I wish actual stores carried these things so I could get into it this weekend.

I'm looking at something semi small that I can take with me on trips and still get professional results... I'm going to go with the Viel S-5 with a PSI variable speed DC motor. I think it is the perfect compare set up and I should be able to slow it down or speed it up as I need to.

Fucina 1x30 looks interesting, looks like a mini 2x72 and has a VFD with .75hp to 1hp options and prices from $300-500.

I'd rock that if I had to start over on a tight budget.

No idea what the quality is on those though but it looks very curious.

The VFD cannot be underestimated.

It is essential, I started with a HF 1x30, moved to a Grizzly 2x72, and finally a real grinder with a Pheer 454.

VFD was life changing.

Also, only use quality belts.

Norton 980p Blaze Ceramic etc.

The WEN 1x30 has variable speed and a decent 6" disc sander built in. The slowest speed is still a bit faster than a Kalamazoo but works pretty well. A step up from the HF, but still not very expensive

Harbor freight works fine. How.often are you going to.use it? At first you may want to reprofile and repair damaged edges. Which you can do. But after that? I haven't used my belt grinder in a long time. I touch up my knives freehand. Unless your going into business for $50 or so you can't go wrong. Just my .02.

Fucina 1x30 looks interesting, looks like a mini 2x72 and has a VFD with .75hp to 1hp options and prices from $300-500.

It is essential, I started with a HF 1x30, moved to a Grizzly 2x72, and finally a real grinder with a Pheer 454.

VFD was life changing.

now that looks interesting!! But it looks like you have to run 220-230v to it? it's a DC controller similar to what I was talking about, wonder what the lowest speed is on it.

I agree about the 2x72 w/ VFD... my Wilmont TAG is incredible :)

edit: nevermind, found the 110v version

Yea, I think I might have to try one. "Suitcase Grinder" haha

From the company description they're 33 year old company from Cypress (island in the mediterranean sea) in Europe.
They make stainless parts for marine and industry like exhaust manifolds etc.

Pretty dang cheap considering the horse power and the VFD not to mention the attachments.

Looks like you have to get the 0.75hp etc for the 110v and the 1hp is exclusively 230v.

1x30 belts are more common than some of the other 1" belts so more belt selection and cheaper bulk price is nice.

now that looks interesting!! But it looks like you have to run 220-230v to it? it's a DC controller similar to what I was talking about, wonder what the lowest speed is on it.

I owned a Kalamazoo 2x48 grinder years ago. It's a great grinder and it's priced competitively.

VFD was life changing.

Tried to contact Fucina and a WEEK later nothing from Fucina - my opinion after looking at the 762x25 mm (1"x30") offerings on Alie and etc. My favorite for the "guitar case" is - https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001852229522.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.226d5ed6Q4OdS8

Google 762x25 there are only a few offerings - that gives us the 1x30 inch format.

Last edited:

VFD was life changing.

Consider this more conventional 2x72 micro mini (1x30")

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000299451006.html

Back