Recommendation? Looking to buy a sword

I'm wanting to get a sword. I want a sword that can be actually be used for cutting stuff. I don't care so much for displayability as much as functionality. I'm looking for a really good, durable sword, just not with an outrageous price tag like I've seen.
I normally wouldn't ask like this, but I have no clue what to look for in good qualities for a sword to have.

What style of sword are you looking for? There are many swords that fall into the parameters you have set so far. Were you looking for something approximating a Viking sword, High Middle Ages, Rennaisance? Japanese, Thai, Phillipino, Middle Eastern, modern tacticool? What is you budget? Give us a little to work with?

My budget is around $200, but I'd be willing to go a little higher if needed.
I'm not very familiar on sword types, but probably something like a japanese sword, katana or medieval type sword.

What style of sword are you looking for? There are many swords that fall into the parameters you have set so far. Were you looking for something approximating a Viking sword, High Middle Ages, Rennaisance? Japanese, Thai, Phillipino, Middle Eastern, modern tacticool? What is you budget? Give us a little to work with?

My budget is around $200, but I'd be willing to go a little higher if needed.
I'm not very familiar on sword types, but probably something like a japanese sword, katana or medieval type sword.

I am going to suggest www.kriscutlery.com for Japanese style swords (or they have a Korean sword on sale for 95 dollars right now. For Eurpean items I will suggest museum replicas limited at museumreplicas.com. Both are slightly above your price range for the most part but are the minimum standard worth recommending in my opinion.

I am going to suggest www.kriscutlery.com for Japanese style swords (or they have a Korean sword on sale for 95 dollars right now. For Eurpean items I will suggest museum replicas limited at museumreplicas.com. Both are slightly above your price range for the most part but are the minimum standard worth recommending in my opinion.
Do you think this would be a good one to buy?
https://www.museumreplicas.com/windsong-the-sword-of-kings
I'm just trying to get a 2nd opinion to make sure I'm getting a good one

I'm wanting to get a sword. I want a sword that can be actually be used for cutting stuff. I don't care so much for displayability as much as functionality. I'm looking for a really good, durable sword, just not with an outrageous price tag like I've seen.
I normally wouldn't ask like this, but I have no clue what to look for in good qualities for a sword to have.

Are you looking for an authentic style japanese sword or a modern take on them? Probably a modern take if what you are looking for is a sword to just whack stuff with.

An amazing sword for the price is the baryonyx Kingfisher. Just search Baryonyx Kingfisher in google. This is an amazing sword for the tasks you describe.

Check out the Condor tactical katana or other swords produced by condor. These are also other awesome swords designed for what you are looking for.

I don’t think they make them anymore but Hanwei used to make an awesome “tactical katana.” They still make alot of excellent katanas. If you want a more traditionally styled katana Hanwei are the guys to go with.

Last edited:
I recommend spending some time reading about swords of different cultures, eras, and purposes. You need to know what it is you're getting and why. A katana and a medieval arming sword are very different tools. It's a bit like saying, "I'm looking to get a car. I have $1,000 and I want maybe a pickup truck or a compact."

Remember also that swords are for cutting human flesh. What else might you be cutting?

Zieg

I recommend spending some time reading about swords of different cultures, eras, and purposes. You need to know what it is you're getting and why. A katana and a medieval arming sword are very different tools. It's a bit like saying, "I'm looking to get a car. I have $1,000 and I want maybe a pickup truck or a compact."

Remember also that swords are for cutting human flesh. What else might you be cutting?

Zieg
I'm leaning more towards getting a katana at this point. The most I'd probably be cutting is melons or maybe pumpkins. Do you think this would be good?
https://casiberia.com/product/practical-xl-katana/sh6000xpf

Last edited:
Are you looking for an authentic style japanese sword or a modern take on them? Probably a modern take if what you are looking for is a sword to just whack stuff with.

An amazing sword for the price is the baryonyx Kingfisher. Just search Baryonyx Kingfisher in google. This is an amazing sword for the tasks you describe.

Check out the Condor tactical katana or other swords produced by condor. These are also awesome swords designed for what you are looking for.

I don’t think they make them anymore but Hanwei used to make an awesome “tactical katana.” They still make alot of excellent katanas. If you want a more traditionally styled katana Hanwei are the guys to go with.
Do you think this would be good?
https://casiberia.com/product/practical-xl-katana/sh6000xpf

Outstanding sword. That would be my choice.

Just be aware that those Hanwei Paul Chen Katanas are built to be close to a real traditional katana. That means it is designed to feel like a traditional katana in hand.

There are other katanas that are more of a “tank” of a knife. Thicker blade and heavier, but they don’t feel like a real katana. Cold Steel for example tends to make their swords thicker than the real historical blades they are based on. This makes them more durable for people who just want to whack things in the backyard.

The Katana you linked it is more historically accurate. I think it is awesome, and again that is the sword I would choose.

Outstanding sword. That would be my choice.

Just be aware that those Hanwei Paul Chen Katanas are built to be close to a real traditional katana. That means it is designed to feel like a traditional katana in hand.

There are other katanas that are more of a “tank” of a knife. Thicker blade and heavier, but they don’t feel like a real katana. Cold Steel for example tends to make their swords thicker than the real historical blades they are based on. This makes them more durable for people who just want to whack things in the backyard.

The Katana you linked it is more historically accurate. I think it is awesome, and again that is the sword I would choose.
The most I'd probably use it for is chopping melons or stuff like that. Do you think it would be good for that? How durable do you think it would be?

The Hanwei Practical is an acceptable starter/low budget sword. Melons don't require much durability or technique; so as long as you don't make a habit of hitting your cutting stand, it'll do fine. If you branch into other cutting media (rolled mats or paper) technique will become more important to prevent damage.

The Hanwei Practical is an acceptable starter/low budget sword. Melons don't require much durability or technique; so as long as you don't make a habit of hitting your cutting stand, it'll do fine. If you branch into other cutting media (rolled mats or paper) technique will become more important to prevent damage.
if $330 is low budget, what would a high quality one look like?

F Foxinator
You were on casiberia looking around, and you didn't notice the prices? Price increases with quality - since you're asking for examples, check out the lion dog, tori xl, and oni katana(s) on that same site. I'm assuming they're still in production, and those are models I was considering when I wanted to upgrade.

I haven't been in the sword market for a while; but, when I was, pickings were pretty slim in the $200 range...at least for something with decent aesthetic appeal that was reasonably functional. Sure, you could get any number of wallhangers for $100-150 (or even less); but they weren't safe for use.

If you're open to recommendations, take a look at the Ronin Dojo Pro lineup. I can't speak to their current pricing or quality; but they were a good value when I was starting with swords.

Last edited:
F Foxinator
You were on casiberia looking around, and you didn't notice the prices? Price increases with quality - since you're asking for examples, check out the lion dog, tori xl, and oni katana(s) on that same site. I'm assuming they're still in production, and those are models I was considering when I wanted to upgrade.

I haven't been in the sword market for a while; but, when I was, pickings were pretty slim in the $200 range...at least for something with decent aesthetic appeal that was reasonably functional. Sure, you could get any number of wallhangers for $100-150 (or even less); but they weren't safe for use.

If you're open to recommendations, take a look at the Ronin Dojo Pro lineup. I can't speak to their current pricing or quality; but they were a good value when I was starting with swords.

Are the more expensive hanwei swords built so as to be more durable than their practical line of katanas? I have zero experience with their more expensive models.

My understanding is all of their swords due to being built to simulate real Japanese swords would be somewhat susceptible to poor techniqie potentially damaging the sword.

I'll start by saying I'm far from an expert... then reply that it depends on the models, IMO. Some of the more expensive models are specialized cutters...and, accordingly, I would expect them to be susceptible to damage from poor technique.
For maximum durability, it's hard to argue with their old 5160 Raptor line - they were ugly, and nontraditional in appearance; but they could handle abuse.
Cheness' TH 9260 (I think it was the Tenchi) was good in that respect...but had increasing QC issues for a while; so they fell out of favor.
There were a couple of sellers on the 'Bay that offered decent low cost options shipping from China; but I'd have to look up the names (the names were subject to change, lol; so they may well have changed)

Last edited:
Back