Looking to pick up my first Fiddleback Forge for my main EDC (Monarch, Esquire, EDC II?).

The Monarch is edc-able, has a swedge, and is a capable bushcrafting design. I have carried this model extensively, and I love it. But its blade is longer than necessary for edc tasks. Its a big knife that carries small, or a small knife that seems big. The EDCII is a fine knife for your purposes if you can do without the swedge. Also look at the Lonestar EDC, as it is swedged as well. I'd go 1/8" because I believe on a small knife everything thicker than 1/8 is superfluous.

Thanks for the input! I’m really drawn to the Monarch for some reason. I don’t mind the larger blade for edc. As long as I can carry it comfortably in a cross draw or horizontal sheath, or in my front pocket, it should be fine. Keeping it concealed is preferable. There is one Monarch that is available which I have my eyes on, but it is 5/23” thick. It also has a tapered tang. What would your opinion be on the Monarch with a 1/8” blade versus 5/32”? The one that catches my eye in 5/32” is a beauty.

I concur with Bill on this point. That said, the Monarch handle has a pretty decent and consistent girth front to backand tends to have a handle that is rectangular in shape (if you did a cross section) whereas the Asp has smoother curves and narrows more at a couple places. It's just about feel really. For a pocket carry I'd go Esquire and up to the Lonestar in size.

View attachment 892562

Warrior108, what is your opinion on the esquire versus the Sgian Dubh? The Sgian Dubh is definitely another one that has my interest. Maybe it’s the Scottish in me lol.

Warrior108, what is your opinion on the esquire versus the Sgian Dubh? The Sgian Dubh is definitely another one that has my interest. Maybe it’s the Scottish in me lol.
The Dubh will be smaller. More of a 3 finger knife for sure. I think @pertinux has or has had both of those and could give you some good insight on the subject.

My vote would be for a Monarch.

I also have long fingers and I love my Monarch. I get a great grip on the tall handle. I did a tiny bit of sanding on the back right corner to smooth out the sharper lines and find it super comfortable for my non-calloused hands.

I also really like the tall blade height of the Monarch, which makes it a great slicer. Mine fits in my front pocket just fine (though not much room to spare) though typically I belt carry.

I don’t have an Esquire, but I would worry about it the handle being too skinny for you. I actually have this problem with my Bushraptor.

My second choice would be to try out a Lonestar.

The Dubh will be smaller. More of a 3 finger knife for sure. I think @pertinux has or has had both of those and could give you some good insight on the subject.

I thought the Dubh was of similar size but maybe with a bit more girth or a bit more stout. Interesting. I'd think I'd prefer to be able to grip the knife with all four fingers for my first fiddleback. I'm not opposed to three finger grip handles, but for my first FF (and possibly my only FF for a while), I think I want one that I can at least get my pinky somewhat around the end of the handle. If the handle on the Esquire is at all the same length as the handle on a small sebenza, then it should fit fine (especially with a knotted lanyard attached).

My vote would be for a Monarch.

I also have long fingers and I love my Monarch. I get a great grip on the tall handle. I did a tiny bit of sanding on the back right corner to smooth out the sharper lines and find it super comfortable for my non-calloused hands.

I also really like the tall blade height of the Monarch, which makes it a great slicer. Mine fits in my front pocket just fine (though not much room to spare) though typically I belt carry.

I don’t have an Esquire, but I would worry about it the handle being too skinny for you. I actually have this problem with my Bushraptor.

My second choice would be to try out a Lonestar.

The Monarch is still in my top few choices. I just really like the looks of it, and if I were to get one, I think I'd want it to have the swedge. I'm just not sure about the thickness of the Monarch. 1/8" or 5/32"? Would it really make a difference for my intended uses? I really don't plan on slicing too many veggies or fruit with it. It will be more of a utility knife, occasional hiking companion, and perhaps for defense if god for bid I needed to use it like that. REally just my all around edc knife, that I will enjoy handling and admiring, and using for simple and basic tasks. An all rounder. I also don't mind dedicating my front right pocket it to it if need be. I'd definitely want to look into one of the horizontal or cross access sheaths if that would be a comfortable way to carry the Monarch while concealing it as well. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Monarch I've got my eyes on.. Just not sure about it's 5/32" thickness. I don't mind waiting for another one to pop up as well.

The Lonestar has definitely grabbed my attention as well, it is now on my radar.

I've got it down to either the Monarch, Esquire, Bushboot, or Lonestar. Really bouncing back and forth between the Monarch and the Esquire the most right now. Considering Andy carries the Monarch extensively, I'm sure it is an amazing piece to carry, hold, and use. The EDC II is on my mind still, but I like the aesthetics of this one the least out of the others (not that aesthetics are a top priority). Hiking buddy, Handyman, and Slyverfalcin are still on my radar as well.

Does any one have an opinion of the Monarch in 1/8" versus 5/32"? The one that's available in 5/32" with a swedge and a tapered Tang looks really nice to me.

I thought the Dubh was of similar size but maybe with a bit more girth or a bit more stout. Interesting. I'd think I'd prefer to be able to grip the knife with all four fingers for my first fiddleback. I'm not opposed to three finger grip handles, but for my first FF (and possibly my only FF for a while), I think I want one that I can at least get my pinky somewhat around the end of the handle. If the handle on the Esquire is at all the same length as the handle on a small sebenza, then it should fit fine (especially with a knotted lanyard attached).

The Monarch is still in my top few choices. I just really like the looks of it, and if I were to get one, I think I'd want it to have the swedge. I'm just not sure about the thickness of the Monarch. 1/8" or 5/32"? Would it really make a difference for my intended uses? I really don't plan on slicing too many veggies or fruit with it. It will be more of a utility knife, occasional hiking companion, and perhaps for defense if god for bid I needed to use it like that. REally just my all around edc knife, that I will enjoy handling and admiring, and using for simple and basic tasks. An all rounder. I also don't mind dedicating my front right pocket it to it if need be. I'd definitely want to look into one of the horizontal or cross access sheaths if that would be a comfortable way to carry the Monarch while concealing it as well. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Monarch I've got my eyes on.. Just not sure about it's 5/32" thickness. I don't mind waiting for another one to pop up as well.

The Lonestar has definitely grabbed my attention as well, it is now on my radar.

I've got it down to either the Monarch, Esquire, Bushboot, or Lonestar. Really bouncing back and forth between the Monarch and the Esquire the most right now. Considering Andy carries the Monarch extensively, I'm sure it is an amazing piece to carry, hold, and use. The EDC II is on my mind still, but I like the aesthetics of this one the least out of the others (not that aesthetics are a top priority). Hiking buddy, Handyman, and Slyverfalcin are still on my radar as well.

Does any one have an opinion of the Monarch in 1/8" versus 5/32"? The one that's available in 5/32" with a swedge and a tapered Tang looks really nice to me.

Here's the thread I was thinking about! This one may help you narrow some of your choices down. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bite-sized-borry-a-bevy-of-blue.1523753/

As for the steel thickness that's mostly personal. I'm a thin steel guy. I don't use my knives too hard and much prefer the feel and weight of a really thin stock. I gravitate towards 3/32 ish for almost all of my knives. 1/8 TT would be my next choice. That said a lot of guys prefer the heft, balance, and strength of a thicker steel.

FF Esquire
WAS Bobcat
FF Bushnub
FF Monarch
CRK Sm Inkosi
WAS Minuteman
Cohutta Chipmunk
FF Esquire
FF Sylvrfaclen
FF Bushboot
Fletcher 24/7
FF Esquire
OKT Mini Mamushi
OKT Poon Tipped Mini Mamushi
OKT Poot Tipped Tusk
CRK Inkosi Insingo
FF Lonestar EDC

Gaggle.jpg

Thanks for the input! I’m really drawn to the Monarch for some reason. I don’t mind the larger blade for edc. As long as I can carry it comfortably in a cross draw or horizontal sheath, or in my front pocket, it should be fine. Keeping it concealed is preferable. There is one Monarch that is available which I have my eyes on, but it is 5/23” thick. It also has a tapered tang. What would your opinion be on the Monarch with a 1/8” blade versus 5/32”? The one that catches my eye in 5/32” is a beauty.

To make the same knife, but thinner, requires more skill. Probably not a huge weight difference, but a negligible one is still a weight difference. If you like the way thick spines make a knife look, then definitely get a thicker one. I'm definitely into thin though. My protaonist is 1/8" and tapered. There is a good argument to be made that thicker would be better for that knife.

I would also lean towards 1/8” esp on a smaller knife.
However, the Monarch (like the Bushnub) has a relatively tall blade so that it will be much less “wedge-like” than the others pictured above with blades that often only have half the height. We’re talking about 1/32” more in width at the spine on a blade that is almost twice as tall...
I realize that I’m in the minority here, but if you’re looking for a stout edc, I don’t think it should dissuade you in this pattern if the knife has all the other features (scales, swedge) you’re looking for.
ETA: Would add that, just based on the design/looks of the Monarch, it’s one where a little bit thicker steel seems a good fit.

Last edited:
FF Esquire
WAS Bobcat
FF Bushnub
FF Monarch
CRK Sm Inkosi
WAS Minuteman
Cohutta Chipmunk
FF Esquire
FF Sylvrfaclen
FF Bushboot
Fletcher 24/7
FF Esquire
OKT Mini Mamushi
OKT Poon Tipped Mini Mamushi
OKT Poot Tipped Tusk
CRK Inkosi Insingo
FF Lonestar EDC

View attachment 893213

Thanks for the comparison photo! That is really helpful although now there are more knives that I want! The W.A. Surls all look like fantastic blades. I especially like the look of that Minuteman. I've been eyeballing it ever since I saw you post it on the flea market. I also noticed your Sgian Dubh and really like the handle shape on that one. I just noticed both of these have now been sold, so they are kind of off my radar for the time being. All of your Esquires look really nice as well, and I am now considering picking up one even more so now than I was before. Do you have any shots of all your esquires together, and maybe some of the esquire alongside the Monarch? So many choices and options is definitely a good thing, but it can make picking out my first one a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you everyone for your opinions and insights! It is very helpful. Oyster has helped me put into perspective the Monarch's 5/32" thickness when compared to a spyderco PM2. Being only a hair thicker than the PM2 has definitely helped me when considering that thickness for a blade, as well as the height and size of the blade.

I have pretty much narrowed down my first FF purchase to either an Esquire or a Monarch. I'm leaning towards the Esquire mainly because I think it might carry and conceal better on a day to day basis and while at work. If the Monarch can be comfortably carried and concealed in a horizontal sheath, then the Esquire being more concealable is kind of a moot point. I'm a larger guy, so dedicating either one to my front right pocket shouldn't be an issue. It looks like the handle size on the Esquire is comparable to the small Sebenza which I know fits my hands just fine in a four finger grip, but the monarch seems like it might fit like a glove.

The Monarch I am considering has a blueish dyed burl oak handle, has a 5/32" tapered tang, and a very nice looking swedge. It comes with a sheath but it is not pictured. I might just hold out and wait for another one to pop up with a 1/8" blade and pick up an Esquire in the meantime.

There are two Esquires I am considering. One is being offered to me from a forum member. It has a dark green micarta handle, is slightly over 3/32" with a SFT, and it comes with a Joufuu leather pocket sheath with pocket clip. I believe it has had two owners, and it apparently had a few light pepper marks that came out with some metal polish. It is in good shape and looks nice.

The other Esquire I am interested in has the specs that I have been leaning more towards. It comes with a blackwood handle, has an 1/8" tapered tang, a very nice looking swedge, and comes with a sheath that reminds me of those ksf pocket sheaths.

Any opinions on the specs of the above two mentioned Esquires and their differences would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I believe Warrior108 Warrior108 already pointed out that, because they are handmade, they might feel very different (within reason, of course) and that the one with the nominally thinner steel could even have more girth in the handle depending on the scales and the tapering. I don’t own enough examples to make a definitive statement but, to me, the difference between 3/32 and 1/8 becomes almost negligible if you’re comparing a knife with a “standard” grind to one with a very high grind.
I think you’ve reached a point in the decision making process where it really comes down to personal aesthetic preferences...

In regards to the Monarch - I have a Bushnub in 5/32 that is similar to the Monarch in size /girth and I find the thicker blade to be a perfect match for that knife with heavy woods use and even food prep as my preferred use of this knife. Your intended use will determine if you could even benefit from a 5/32 blade. I think both of these knives (Monarch, Bushnub) cross over the normal EDC line regardless of blade thickness. EDC for me means sharing my front pocket with my phone and for that smaller knives with 1/8" TT is a favorite both because I love the look and extra uniqueness but also the part of 1/8"TT that sticks out of the pocket is thinner than 3/32 making it less obtrusive. My most used EDC knife is also the one that is easiest to carry and deploy.

In regards to the Esquire - There are New and used options are coming available all the time, find one that calls to you and snatch it before someone else does.

Last edited:
The good news is you’re really down to a couple of hair splitting options.

Wrt Monarch or Esquire it probably comes down to handle comfort and need for extra blade length vs compact carry. Personally, I split the difference and carry two knives - a Runt for almost everything and a concealed belt carried Monarch or Sneaky Pete for a big job or SHTF moment (it’s impossible to get a concealed carry permit where I live).

Personally, unless I was really planning on doing a lot of slicing, I wouldn’t let the 5/32” Monarch go because it’s not 1/8”.

Of the two Esquires, I would probably lean toward 1/8” TT.

Ultimately, you’re probably just going to have to think through what you really want in a knife and pull the trigger knowing you can flip it for a small loss if you make a “mistake”.

Thanks for all the observations, insights, and opinions! You have all been very helpful.

For now, I've ruled out the Monarch as my first FF. When the time comes where I might want to pick one up, I'll probably also be considering the ASP and the Sneaky Pete at that point.

I've pretty much narrowed my interest down to the Esquire and am in the process of trying to decide which to go with. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an Esquire, but the EDC II keeps popping into my head and there are a few available that I'm drawn to. If anyone has any thoughts on and/or experiences with the EDC II that they would like to share, that would be great! Comparisons of the Esquire versus the EDC II, and any EDC II photos or comparison photos would also be very much appreciated.

EDCII w/ OSK & Runt
2v2J7zDhWxurAoi.jpg

Back