Looking to purchase a chopper

I've had a Kabar cutlass machete for years and I love it it comes with me to every camping trip and I use it at work a bunch.
It's a little larger than you were looking for but it's also dirt cheap, the only issue if ever had with it is the sheath it came with was awful.

I'm sorry I just meant that I wanted something around 7 in that I could chop with. So what exactly is the minimum size a chopper can be ?

A Silky Saw, a GB Forest Axe and a Skrama and there wouldn't be much you couldn't chop down. You'll get change too.

6"-7" aren'y great choppers however overbuilt they make them. Poor choppers and overbuilt make poor knives.

As big as I would recommend then a Survive Knives GSO 6 or 7 would fit the budget and be one tough utility sheath knife.
For pure fun of it then a Junglas, or a bad arse Busse. Fun, because I can't find a practical use for them unless as a truck carried wood butcher blade to beat something into submission as inefficiently but most fun that can be had. I actually like them, but not for real work, as they don't work for me.

These are what I consider choppers, well something that actually chops. Anything less is playing at it:
IMGP7359.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry I just meant that I wanted something around 7 in that I could chop with. So what exactly is the minimum size a chopper can be ?

Then the Skrama will do.

Did you read the review, I linked to above?

7 inch chopper will do you just fine, as stated in the review.

Of course, it depends on how much of a 'woods rampage,' you will be embarking on

Dont be sorry. Just disregard - youll notice a member stating somehthing negative but not suggesting an alternative. This speaks volumes.

You posted a valid question.

Then the Skrama will do.

Did you read the review, I linked to above?

7 inch chopper will do you just fine, as stated in the review.

Of course, it depends on how much of a 'woods rampage,' you will be embarking on
Yes , thx . I'm not going to be doing to much with it I just don't have a knife that size and my girlfriend is feeling generous so I want to take advantage of the situation I'm in lol. Probably a lot of battoning and cutting tree branches ,etc.

A Silky Saw, a GB Forest Axe and a Skrama and there wouldn't be much you couldn't chop down. You'll get change too.

6"-7" aren'y great choppers however overbuilt they make them. Poor choppers and overbuilt make poor knives.

As big as I would recommend then a Survive Knives GSO 6 or 7 would fit the budget and be one tough utility sheath knife.
For pure fun of it then a Junglas, or a bad arse Busse. Fun, because I can't find a practical use for them unless as a truck carried wood butcher blade to beat something into submission as inefficiently but most fun that can be had. I actually like them, but not for real work, as they don't work for me.

Yes, the Skrama is a light chopper as per your review and 7 inches is what the OP is asking for.

Do you sharpen the Skrama as per the factory specs with the two different angles for rough and for finer work?

Im on the verge re the Skrama - really like it and the Varusteleka guys are excellent to deal with and a hoot to boot - but Id be tempted to just sharpen it with the same angle from the handle to the point.

Ill most likely buy one....that and the smaller 'Puukko' in the same style.

Yes , thx . I'm not going to be doing to much with it I just don't have a knife that size and my girlfriend is feeling generous so I want to take advantage of the situation I'm in lol. Probably a lot of battoning and cutting tree branches ,etc.

👍understanding GF.

When back in stock the Skrama will do exactly what you require. With leather sheath its under $100 with post, and you might find on their web pages something else like the Terava Puukko 110.
Put the rest towards a nice folder, or take the girlfriend out on a date!
(Something I think is ridiculously expensive but really cool is the Titanium canteen by Heavy Cover. That and the Skrama will blow your budget).

Yes, the Skrama is a light chopper as per your review and 7 inches is what the OP is asking for.

Do you sharpen the Skrama as per the factory specs with the two different angles for rough and for finer work?

Im on the verge re the Skrama - really like it and the Varusteleka guys are excellent to deal with and a hoot to boot - but Id be tempted to just sharpen it with the same angle from the handle to the point.

Ill most likely buy one....that and the smaller 'Puukko' in the same style.

I sort of try to keep that finer edge but its starting to blend in. Its easy enough to keep ridiculously sharp, though the tip gets some real abuse and I'm letting it thicken up to get a bit more steel behind that part. Ask me in another year when its got to a natural practical sharpened grind that tools that have done a lot of work find.
Good thing its so controllable, because I like to keep mine on the keen side.

How about the Fiddleback Forge Camp Knife? Awesome big knife you can chop with and yet still do small knife stuff with it.

efifhIQ.jpg

YLnQIYF.jpg

Can't wait till me 1311 gets here!

Back