1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks Like It’s Time

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Oct 2, 2018.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    To start talking about 2019. I’m not sure what’s going to happen, but I’m hoping to keep the business and forum going. Postings and orders are way down, but I’m hoping that will change. As usual, suggestions are always welcome on how to improve here.
    Let’s hear some ideas on how to improve the forum, as well as what style knives you want to see in the future.
    Most of all, let’s see if we can make this forum as fun and active as it used to be!

Rob Babcock likes this.
  2. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I think this forum is very active, but I do feel that pictures are always appreciated by forum members. So, maybe us as the commentors can try to provide more pictures of our knives, and maybe you, John, could provide more Work in Progress pictures, as well as your finished products.

Outside of this forum, I really do think Instagram can help you reach an entire different stratosphere of exposure. The creative (and sometimes excessive) use of hashtags can allow for your products to pop up in the feeds of not only knife lovers, but general, everyday people looking at things related to: camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, cooking, the outdoors, hand craftsmanship, American made items, art, and tools.

I would love to own another 4 or 5 JK Knives, but I'm starting the process of finding a new job right now, so I have to be much more financially responsible.

I wish you all the best in 2019, and I hope it's your more successful year ever.

LostViking likes this.
  3. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Up until a couple years ago this forum was active night and day, 7 days a week, nothing like now.

4. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    I agree with Shawn regarding Instagram. I don't use it myself, but have heard of other makers who are blowing up with business from posting their work on Instagram.

I've said this before, you have a loyal following here, but honestly, that is not who you need to be trying to sell knives to. I don't really use fixed blades knives that much at all, but I indeed have a handful of your fine blades, so it's not your product, it's your exposure.

JK Knives likes this.
  5. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I have been trying to post more often on Instagram, but it looks like I need to do more of those hashtag things.

6. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    John, I typed up a quick list of some hashtags that seem to have some decent exposure. You can try copying and pasting them with your pictures to see if you get an influx of views/likes.

#handmade #handmadeknives #bladeforums #knife #knifepics #knivesdaily #edc #edcknives #knivesofig #americanmade #knifestagram #knifenut #usnstagram #customknives #customknife #customknifemaker #bushcraft #bushcraftknife #bushcraftknives #maker #knifeforsale #knife4sale #knifesale

ty_higg and JK Knives like this.
  7. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks, I never know what to put with the pictures.

8. Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    I went to the "Search" page for "Tags" and started typing in phrases and chose the ones with the most posts with that tag. I think #knivesofig has something like 1.3 million posts using that tag. Anyone who follows that tag or follows pages that use those tags will have similar posts show up on their "Home" Search page feed. So, that's potentially hundreds of thousands of people who could see your knives pop up in their feed.

JK Knives likes this.
  9. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Cool idea, I do not use instagram or the like, but more exposure seems to be a good idea.

10. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Starting to look like 2019 is not going to start out well, orders have totally stopped coming in. I don’t really care if I get any December orders, but I would like to see some coming in for next year. If that doesn’t happen I’ll make a few knives out of leftover materials to sell, then stop.

11. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Jeez, that wouldn't be fun for anyone. Understandable, but not fun.

I check in here often, I don't post much, but I do read.

I don't do FB Twit or any of that other garbage.

I'll give this some thought .

12. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I’m still working on figuring out a way to stay open for business, not giving up yet.

13. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    That's good news John, in going to Blade show west this last weekend, I talked to a lot of the old timers, And they all are on insta gram or Facebook using hash tags to drive their exposure, mind you, they are not updating their accounts but have their kids or grand kids doing it. Just a thought, but it seems to work. Just a note, I don't use either, this is an example of teaching an old dog new tricks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I’m trying to post more on both of those sites, I posted pictures of the Kephart on both.

15. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I’m going to keep posting special offers, sooner or later one will get attention.

16. ty_higg

ty_higg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I don't really use social media but to help with the Instagram exposure maybe taking in photos from people who have your knives and posting them on there. Good shots of them being used especially any camping/bushcraft stuff it seems to be getting another big surge in popularity.

JK Knives likes this.
  17. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I was thinking we should post a Thankful or count your blessings thread as Thanksgivng approaches, and if possible, a forward it along thread like I have seen elsewhere to place items up that people would like to grab and then offer something in return for equal or more value. Just because we like to pass a good feeling and fun stuff along. It would be on an honor system.

Or, if Fiddleback can show a pumpkin thread, you know we have enough JKs out there to do the same and have a pumpkin contest with the winner selected by the very talented Miss JK, Hannah. :D

Lastly, if you haven't guessed I have had caffeine already by my many posts, a pic of our Jks or favorite things in a fall setting or things that remind us the fun of fall, like a knife by a bail of hay on a wagon, ready for a hay ride. You get the point. Let's be creative.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  18. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    If you want to start the Thankful Thread I will participate. Sounds like a very nice idea.