Losing Carbon

I'm planning to heat treat O1 in my garage. HOw do I do so without having the steel lose carbon? I'm planning to use gas torches...maybe oxyacetylene.

Thanks,
Tim

I am a "green" maker also, but what ive deducted is to take 0-1 up to just above critical heat SLOWLY, EVENLY, PATIENTLY! Take to non magnetic temp., and follow the prescribed quinch and temper methods that were discussed on the other post.

In your case just heat it long enough to bring it to critical temp. When forging you can loose carbon with to many heats..
Also it it good to bring the material back to normal before processing the blades or damascus.. In your case most off the shelf 01 is already in the condition you need to heat treat so go for it. Just dont hold the heat for to long..

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

One other tip: Leave some extra stock on the blade that you can grind off later. You are going to have a decarb zone on every surface-it could be as deep as .010 to .020, depending on how fast you are able to heat the blade. You can use a magnet on a stick to check when you are at the right temp. When the steel goes non magnetic, heat an instant more, then quench in olive oil, warmed to about 100-150F. Agitate in the quench, and temper IMMEDIATELY when you can just hold the blade in your bare hand. Tempering can be done in your kitchen oven. From a properly hardened O1 blade, 450F should give you about Rc58-59. Double tempering is recommended.
Watch out you don't get hooked on heat treating from your experience!! (LOL). That's how I got started. I heat treated a blade in a charcoal fire 20 years ago, and fell in love with knifemaking!!

Good Luck,

RJ Martin

Back