"Lost" and other non-fiction books involving survival (not how-to books)

This is the information on the referenced book:
Author: McCarter, Dwight.
Title: Lost! : a ranger's journal of search and rescue in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park / Dwight McCarter,
Ronald Schmidt.
Published: Yellow Springs, OH : Graphicom Press, 1998.
Description: p. about 145 cm.
LC Call No.: 9801 BOOK NOT YET IN LC
ISBN: 0964173417 (pbk.)
Control No.: 97073123

The book is worthwhile in that it demonstrates why at least a few outdoor survival skills are important for anyone who might end up the wilderness. It is probably not the most riveting book, but might be of interest to forum members. Each chapter is about a particular search and rescue operation, some with happy endings, some with unhappy endings, and some with no real ending.

As I recall there were two main circumstances leading to a search. One type was a lost child. These were the ones involving the most mystery as to what actually happened. The other main type were individuals who were not prepared for suddenly worsening weather.
----------------------------
I do not recall any stories of someone who became very ill and thus needed assistance. This problem was mentioned by the author in
CALL # 917.3 J52w
AUTHOR Jenkins, Peter, 1951-
TITLE A walk across America.
PUBLISHER Morrow, c1979.
DESCRIPT 288 p. : ill.
SUBJECTS 1) United States -- Description and travel.

He became very ill on the Appalacian Trail and was alone. For some reason the book did not grab me, but it is a unique travel log. It also indicated to me that he should have had a hiking stick or at least some type of publicly acceptable defense, when he was attacked by dogs, but saved by his own dog. [Since this is only one incident, I hope it does not give too much away.]

This book is about the Tania Aebi's solo sailing voyage around the world ending in November 1987, taking 2.5 years, and covering 27,000 miles. She started her voyage at age 18. The voyage was made on a Contessa 26, by the Canadian company, J. J. Taylor.
The paperback I read was classified as young adult, probably because it has no objectionable content, despite her developing a couple of close relationships during the course of her voyage. The book discusses her relationship to her parents, maturation, and of course the details of the long, arduous voyage. It makes me want to go sailing for a day or two, NOT 2.5 years, at least not on that size boat.
Apparently she had articles published about this voyage and a shorter prior trip in Cruising World. These articles helped finance the voyage along with her father's outlay.

There are several boating books that go into the survival aspect more, but I have not read them. I dimly remember one being brought to a family reunion and involving a distant relative (???) and I think I have seen it since then....

.....enough for now. The one probably of most interest to forum members is the first one, "Lost," and it may be the most difficult to find.

Along similar lines is "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. This nonfiction book details the Chris McCandless story, a 24 year old who in April, 1992 entered the Alaskan wilderness to test himself. Hunters found his body 4 months latter, death was from starvation. McCandless had a .22 rifle and ammo and managed to feed himself for 3months. He made a number of compounding mistakes that led to his death. Very interesting book and a very good read.

"Touching the Void", by Joe Simpson, is the most intense survival book I've ever read. Simpson is a climber who, after completing a first ascent of a route in the Andes, falls on the descent and seriously breaks his leg. His partner tries to lower Simpson the rest of the way, but is forced to cut the rope when Simpson's weight begins to pull the partner off. Simpson falls hundreds of feet into a crevasse. He lives. He's still climbing.

db

[This message has been edited by Dave B (edited 15 December 1999).]

If you want a Sea and Land book start with Adrift by Stephen Callahan(amazon.com has it as well as the next one). Also read The Long Walk by Slavomir Racwicz, I have read it four times and I will read it again next year. The first guy spent 76 days adrift in a 5-man raft. Slav and some friends traveled from Siberia to India, AWESOME book!!!! Take care

------------------
Yol bolsun,
Jamie

Back