Lost Knives in mail, USPS Denies Claim

Monfletch has help MANY members here with USPS issues. His knowledge and understanding of these things are ignored at one's own peril.

If you read my post, you will notice that I did not ignore the recommendation given to me. Rather I did do that and I was told something different by my local USPS manager and the person I spoke to at the distribution center and that is all I said on that matter. I do not know who is right but I was given conflicting information.

Update on Issue:
-1st Denial was because the invoice generated by Busse had 2 dates on it. One date was the purchase date and the other date was the date the Invoice was generated. They looked at one and ignored the other - Denial.
-Busse then sent me corrected invoices.
-Corrected Invoices were added to appeal.
-Appeal was denied.
-Spoke to 2 people with Accounting today and they could not give a reason for denial. Letter from USPS gives no reason for denial. All they suggested was that I submit a 2nd appeal which would escalate to an ajudicator.
-I am submitting a 2nd appeal with a letter with detailed explanation of all transactions and invoices.

....and that's what we call, "Ye Olde Run-Around..."

keep at it...even dolomite mountains wear down eventually...

they're not making it easy on you for sure-- but I have faith you'll be made whole if you persist calmly!

wrk - Thank you for the updates - this is something we all may be faced with at some time. So it is good to have the benefit of your unfortunate experience as a Go-By.

Hang tuff and keep us posted please.

All the best :thumbsup:

This is one reason I hate when people edit out sales price from their but sell posts. This and the bay are the only places to really capture data on the secondary prices. Try finding value on a used long gladius for example.

I would call my states Attorney General.
I would also make every attempt to contact the media. This happens to so many that has post office insurance. Sounds to me that you've done everything thats been requested of you. The post offfice under writer needs to be nailed on this imo

I am preparing a series of files and timelines to submit to local news agencies as soon as they deny my 2nd appeal. I am giving them one last chance to do the right thing, however I do not expect anything to change.

If I were a betting man..... I would say this package will eventually show up.

Btw, didn't get a chance to read the whole thread, and prolly wont. So, excuse me for asking, but, did you use signature confirmation too, or just insure it alone?

If I were a betting man..... I would say this package will eventually show up.

Yeah, thats why I asked if signature confirmation was used. It creates a chain of custody. The package has to be signed off on by anyone that handles it. That why I always use signature confirmation and never get insurance. Never had a problem thus far knock on wood......

On another note, I've sold hundreds of items and never had a problem, even when the online tracking was not updated by the usps. To this day it shows that it has not made it. I guess I'm lucky that they are honest people on the other end. That being said I would not have given them a refund until it was sorted out. I don't understand why you were so quick to refund there money?

Any new information on this package?

If insurance is over $250 it requires a signature.

If insurance is over $250 it requires a signature.

I'd like to know the source of this information. I've sent and received packages insured for more than $250 recently with no signature confirmation required. The package receipted below was left on the front porch of our home which is in a small, secure gated development. $500 insurance value, no sig confirmation fee and no sig required, per the receipt as shown.

When a delivery site is secure, as in this case, the hassle of driving several miles to a post office and standing in line for half an hour to claim a package that the carrier attempted delivery on can be very cumbersome. If the delivery site is not secure, then of course, the risk of loss can be great and usually is not worth taking. I'm no happier with the options currently available than anyone else who has responded here and would also like to know the outcome of this case.

usps receipt cropped.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to know the source of this information. I've sent and received packages insured for more than $250 recently with no signature confirmation required. The package receipted below was left on the front porch of our home which is in a small, secure gated development. $500 insurance value, no sig confirmation fee and no sig required, per the receipt as shown.

When a delivery site is secure, as in this case, the hassle of driving several miles to a post office and standing in line for half an hour to claim a package that the carrier attempted delivery on can be very cumbersome. If the delivery site is not secure, then of course, the risk of loss can be great and usually is not worth taking. I'm no happier with the options currently available than anyone else who has responded here and would also like to know the outcome of this case.

View attachment 741294

Screenshot_20170728-172614.jpg

https://about.usps.com/handbooks/sp1/sp1_c3_021.htm

ETA: now noticing your slip is black, not blue as stated in the circled area in the above screenshot makes me wonder if their policies got updated but this manual hasn't yet? ...I dunno.

I really hope you get some satisfaction with this and it gets resolved. I had never had any troubles with USPS shipping or receiving packages until today ...

And mine worked out ok in the end but gave me a taste of what its like trying to deal with it.

Mine was a package from DLT I had requested text updates and had gotten them and it at last had estimated delivery for today ... then mid morning I received a text with some error saying the package was returned to the sender because the forwarding address was no longer valid.

Well I have lived in the same place for 17 years no forwarding adress ... and trying to call to look into it I got an automated system that ran in circles and finally got a live person on the other end ...

and went through their process giving tracking info assuring the address was correct etc... with no answer just told theyd open a case and left it at that.

Well luckily I live in a small town so I drove to the local post office and talked to them and after they looked and contacted the actual carrier that delivers my mail ... found that he had the package but their scans never showed an arrival scan but showed the scan with the error ... and then my carrier had the package to deliver today but there was no record of it it was essentially lost if the carrier hadn't have had it.

So I hope you have some luck and your package shows up.

Back