LOST POLICE: now need new, and best model

After years of daily carry and use of my stainless steel police model, it has finally been lost, or rather stolen more likely.

Now I'm at a search for a replacement, and I feel the separation anxiety already. I'm looking for advice on the best knife. Naturally the Police and the Military models come to mind. I really liked my old police model (obviously), and am not sure if the Military model is really an upgrade or not. It's hard to see the difference from the pictures. Can somebody please comment on that?

Also, what's a better steel for the military model? 440V or ATS-34? My old police model was ATS-55.

Suggestions outside of Spyderco are also weclomed.

Thanks!

I like the Military better. It is quite a bit lighter and the blade is slightly bigger. The opening hole is oversized and can be used with gloves on. I'd also check out the Starmate and the full size Wegner. Oh, what the hell! Buy all three and rotate your carry.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

I like the military better..It doesn't slip out of your hands like steel and the blade is definately cool..Its better ergonomically in my opinion.
the STARMATE is great ( Bob designs wonderful knives!) and of course ( yeah I know shameless plug!) The New GUNTING should also make you smile..
Gunting comes out Sept 1....

Check out a Police in G-10. Light and grippy. The other knives suggested (Full size Wegner, Military, Starmate) are great knives too. The Police is a lockback while the other three are liner locks.

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

Isn't the G10 Police flat ground too? That's another plus in my book. That said, I still like my Military better.

To me, the Military is like a G10 Police with a 440V blade with more belly and a handle that has integrated guards, nice package
smile.gif

I actually liked my old metal handles. I never handled it in extreme cold without gloves on anyway.

It's too bad the military doesn't come without g-10.

whoa..G10 is much friendlier than stainless steel...
Its warm, its got traction, its light, its VERY VERY strong....
Life has moved on..you can get Police with G10..you can get old style with steel handles..but I'd really opt for G10..
especially in hard use situations..

I bought an almost new serrated Military a couple of months ago and it has slowly becaome my everyday carry knife. At first it seemed a little big for my pocket and stuck out a little too far out of the pocket but I have since gotten used to it. My everyday knife before this was a Calypso Jr. The Calypso Jr. sits lower in the pocket but feels really small in my hand now.

How about the Emerson Commander? Is it worth to compare?

I guess I liked the stainless handles because that's what I carried for so many years and through more often than not tough times. I'll probably go with the g-10, but still feel like I'm "betraying" my style.

Would it be out of line to offer for sale a G-10 Police plain slightly pocket worn for $80?

I think I'm going to go with a Military model for my field use.

Though now that I'm getting more into knives, I'm tempted to supplment a carry only Microtech auto knife.

LtUSMC the military does come with G-10 handles at least Bayou Lafourch sell them I think for $93.73 check them out.

The military is truly an awesome knife, but I wouldn't overlook the Wegner. The most ergonomic and versatile folder in the Spyderco line, IMO. One has to hold the Wegner to actually appreciate it. Pictures do not do it justice.

------------------
Dennis Bible

As a field grunt, you will really appreciate the versatility of the Military. Keep your K-bar on your web gear, but if you get a Military you will find yourself using it for all but the most demanding cutting/chopping tasks.

The Buck 110 was about all there was available in quality folders when I wore a green uniform, and I still have the one I bought in the PX in 1970 just prior to my departure for Nam. But the Military was designed exactly for guys like you.

I am a SWAT cop, and although I have a sheathed SRK on my vest, the Military rides clipped to the leg strap of my handgun holster and is the knife I reach for first. While a bit large for every-day pocket carry, it is without doubt the best general-purpose knife I have ever owned.

Steve

Back