Lots of work this weekend guys

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
This weekend I did a lot.

1. Got 4 Woodsmen moved along almost to glueup.
2. Drew two new knives Friday night, mad a pattern and profiled a couple of prototype blades out SAT.
3. Got the furnace up and running saturday, and for a trial run, Normalized 8 Woodsmen. (Heat treat coming next weekend.) Very excited about this. The furnace is going to revolutionize how I work in my shop.
4. Re-designed the Bushcrafter. I added 1" to the Bushcrafter Jr. .5" in the handle, and .5" in the blade. I also changed the spine just a smidge.

I will no longer be making two Bushcrafter's. The Bushcrafter Sr is a thing of the past. If you own one, you probably have a 1 of 7 ever to be made.

I've been looking at this design, which is my favorite knife I make, and contemplating change for a good while. And this is going to make things simpler, and make the knife even better. Those of you with small hands, fear not. The new knife will be a Fiddleback. The extra 1/2 inch will not make this knife uncomfortable for you!!

5. I made a new pattern, and profiled 5 blanks of the new Bushcrafter.

I think its time to grind one or two scandi. Just to give that a try.

What say y'all.

(My friends, the new designs are going to be the bomb. I can't wait to get y'all some pics.)

This weekend I did a lot.

4. Re-designed the Bushcrafter. I added 1" to the Bushcrafter Jr. .5" in the handle, and .5" in the blade. I also changed the spine just a smidge.

5. I made a new pattern, and profiled 5 blanks of the new Bushcrafter.

I think its time to grind one or two scandi. Just to give that a try.

What say y'all.

(My friends, the new designs are going to be the bomb. I can't wait to get y'all some pics.)

:eek::):):)
I want one, count one scandi new model bushcrafter with a longer handle as sold to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool::thumbup::thumbup:

This is the larger of the two new ones. Sorta a beefier outdoors knife. I think on this one I'll up the blade thickness to 3/8. But for now, its at 5/32.

nmod37-vi.jpg

nmod39-vi.jpg

nmod43-vi.jpg

This one is more like a bird and trout kinda knife.

nmod040-vi.jpg

nmod42-vi.jpg

This is the new Bushcrafter. I misspoke. The blade is still 4". The handle I just added 1/2". So the knife is 8.5" long.

nmod044-vi.jpg

nmod47-vi.jpg

nmod48-vi.jpg

And blade blanks together so you can see a difference. The Woodsman is on the bottom, the Bushcrafter on top. The two in the middle are the new models.

nmod49-vi.jpg

nmod50-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Andy,
Sounds like you had a productive weekend.
I am really looking forward to those Woodsmen.

The 4" blade doesn't bother me at all, actually its more my speed. The bird and trout type of knife is also looking quite appealing as well!

How wide is the blade on that bird and trout type?

Andy,
I really like the blade shape on the bird and trout style knife.
How thick is the steel on that one?

The steel for all of these if 5/32. But I think that bird and trout is eventually going to settle at 1/8". The blade is ~1" wide Tony.

great looking stuff Andy...:thumbup: i'm looking forward to seeing the B & T...

I heard the scandi grind.....that is cool!

That sketch shows a full height flat grind. Is that in the works too? Or just artistic embellishment?

Good looking stuff.

B

The grind in the sketch is a full height convex grind. Not so much an artist really.

Cool!!! I'm glad you like it. You have one of the older ones, so you'll know for sure.

Andy

Yeah, and the added handle length is a HUGE plus. I was talking to tony the other day about how much I wanted a woodsman handle on a bushcraft blade. That looks about like it to me!!

Yeah, and the added handle length is a HUGE plus. I was talking to tony the other day about how much I wanted a woodsman handle on a bushcraft blade. That looks about like it to me!!

Look at the shape of the pommel end. The Bushcrafter is totaly different from the Woodsman, and the two new ones.

Awesome stuff Andy. I still think the Woodsman is my fav.

Thats cool. We'll see though. Those knives come alive when the handle goes on.

Back