Love that awl on my pioneer!

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by lreed, Jan 6, 2016.

1. lreed

lreed

Dec 7, 2001
    I have found the awl to be the most useful blade on my alox pioneer. Because of its pointy thick edge and its lower profile than a regular blade, it takes a lot more abuse and receives less staring than the main blade. I only use the main blade to peel fruits, while throw all the other tasks to this awl: open packages, scraping paint, cut tapes, strip wires... It been one hell of a performer.

I wish one day someone will make a locking single-blade version of this awl blade.

2. SAK Guy

SAK Guy

Jul 2, 2013
    It is awesome....

[​IMG]

:D

3. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    To quote SAK Guy: "sometimes it's awl you need."

:D

4. SAK Guy

SAK Guy

Jul 2, 2013
    LOLOL! :thumbup: ;)

5. lreed

lreed

Dec 7, 2001
    Nice! :thumbup:

6. SAK Guy

SAK Guy

Jul 2, 2013
    :D Thanks!!! :thumbup:

7. collim1

collim1

Aug 14, 2014
    I also find it very handy. More handy than the back layer awl on my Tinker. It's bored through wood significantly better.

8. tomsch

tomsch Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I carry a 05 Soldier every day and never really used the awl much until the last few months. Once I started using it I managed to find so many uses that I was shocked! It was great cutting tape on Christmas boxes, drilling starter holes in sheetrock to mount a carbon monoxide detector, cutting out plastic to remove the old detector, poking holes in potatoes before they go into the oven, and a long list of general poking, cutting, and scraping that the awl seems just so perfect for. I find that using the awl takes a lot of use away from the main blade leaving it sharp much longer for real cutting jobs. I also have been touching up the awl edge on my Sharpmaker every time I sharpen the main blade. A few stokes on each side and the awl is back to working sharp. Amazing tool!!

9. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding

Feb 7, 2014
    Another awl lover here. Well the inline awl at least. I very much dislike the backside awl.

10. Jabe1

Jabe1

Dec 3, 2015
    I've been carrying a Pioneer since the early '80s, same one, the Awl is the most used tool on it.

I wish I had the forethought to buy a few more at the time. I love the brass liner models.

11. Ecchi-Spud

Ecchi-Spud

Apr 16, 2015
    That same awl is on the Electrician that I've had for just the past two weeks, and already I'm impressed. Definitely more sturdy than the back-tool reamer on my Super Tinker (which I didn't think I would even USE before -- and have used a number of times already).

12. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye

Oct 29, 2006
    I use the awl on my Farmer to make pilot holes for wood screws

13. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    Welcome to BF! :D

Can we get a pic of that?? We all love old/worn EDC's here, so a 30yr old Pioneer would get lots of cheers around these parts! :thumbup:

14. Jabe1

Jabe1

Dec 3, 2015
    How do I post a pic? Use an outside host?

15. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Yes, like photobucket. Post the direct link between

16. Jabe1

Jabe1

Dec 3, 2015
    Here it is, still going strong and nearly as sharp as new! (Sorry about the crap iphone pic).

[​IMG]

Not using the awl here though...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  17. TOPOS_

TOPOS_

Mar 7, 2016
    The awl on my electrician is probably the second most used the tool on it, right after the blade! I don't think that I could ever go back to the crappy backside awl.

18. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Awl is awesome! I have used it more than many times for various tasks, and it makes really nice and clean holes to leather! :thumbup:

19. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar

Jan 17, 2004
    Can I ask where I'd be able to get one of those clips?

20. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I got mine (with chain leash) at the big river site.