anyone know anything about this knife....its an early loveless schrade

<a href="http://
687p1010626.jpg"
alt= "schrade"border="0"</a>

<a href="http://
126p1010626.jpg
" alt= "schrade"border="0"</a>

Welcome to our forum!
Your photos not showing up, but here is a bit of information on the first collaboration between a custom knife maker and a production knife company: Loveless designed (or at least is given credit for) the 'dropped hunter' as he called it. Turned out that hunters loved this knife, this design, made it so easy to field dress game. Schrade and loveless came up with the professional hunter and I think first offered it in 1976 at a MSRP of $100. This was the RL2 model. Burgundy delrin scales and the 'loveless/schrade blade etch. Also of note is the Loveless style handle rivets. First photo below is of original.

After the Loveless project, Schrade used the knife as a platform for lots of different, mostly expensive and beautiful, special issues. Many of these are called 'Schrade/Loveless' as well. Later, Schrade made this into more of a production knife, the PH1 and it's smaller brother, the PH2.

Second photo below shows another version of the Loveless, supposedly owned by Buddy Hackett at one time. This is not my knife...

Please, other forum members, it's early here, 3AM and if I have made a mistake, please straighten me out and pour me coffee.

I hope I have come close to answering your question, ebernal13. Please email me your pics and I will post them here for you. To find my email address, click on my user name and go to my profile.

Phil
pics deleted to save spark's bandwidth

thanks redshanks! anyone now anything about this knife in particular? supposedly its a prototype...

Except for the sheath, your knife looks similar to this Stag handled PH1:

Schrade made a series of high end, fixed blade knives for the North American Hunting Club (NAHC), which I think included the PH1, PH2, and others. It could be that your particular knife may have been a proto for that series. Here's a 156 Little Finger from the NAHC series:

Heritage 156

Could be a prototype, but I don't think so. Just a PH1 with stag handles. I don't see the Loveless style rivets on it. Here is a PH1 and PH2 I found on a german knife site. Look the same? I have also seen those handles on a special issue made for a hardware company.

Still, very nice knife!

Phil
SCHRADE_136507_NEU.jpg

This is the best place for info. Books covering these are few and very far between. Web sites are being built but I am not sure we have your knife there yet.
Your sheath looks unique. Is it stamped Schrade anywhere? Sometimes on the back.
Hang in there we will dig up something.
TTYL
Larry
Check out SC99-CP152 at in the flyer section at Collectors-of-Schrades-R.us

The "Wild und Hund" knives for the German magazine come to mind. The PH1 and PH2s were used for several SFOs, and it would not be odd to see some remainders or rejects sold and labeled as protos. Everything outside of the seller's knowledge is labeled a prototype these days, when often, they were base knives held in stock for future SFOs.

Codger

Codger_64 said:
Everything outside of the seller's knowledge is labeled a prototype these days, when often, they were base knives held in stock for future SFOs.

Codger

How very true. I believe that many Schrades that look like an unfinished something or other were set aside for a future special edition and have been sold as some kind of "mystery knife." In my opinion, many of them look better without the etches and shields that would have eventually been put on them. Some are very classy knives without a story.

It appears that if it didn't have a story prior to departing the factory it was able to garner one somewhere along the way. :)

This little beauty came today, it's a Heritage PH2. This knife flew under everyone's radar, the auction ended at primetime on a Friday night with only 3 bids and mine was the highest at $18.50; and yep, that's Stag and the blade is unsharpened to boot:

Very nice, Redshanks! And I do believe that nicely trumps my unfinished ACB80 for $20. But then that is as it should be. It is, afterall a fixed blade.

Codger

Extremely good going, Redshanks! Beautiful knife.

I'm still looking for the run of ph1 and ph2 knives I mentioned above.

Phil

Since the original topic was asking about the Schrade Loveless hunter, this is as good a place as any to show the differences between the original knife when it was first offered and the PH1 that it evolved (or devolved) into. From information posted by another member in this forum, the steel of the original Schrade Loveless was 154CM, the tang stamp is SCHRADE, without the +, as opposed to the new PH1, which is stamped SCHRADE+ for stainless.

Note the differences in the blade finish and sharpening, both of which are only factory sharpened. Other obvious differences are the bolsters, the pins, the handle material, a tiny difference in length, and the tangs; the tang on the Loveless is tapered. The quality of the leather on the Loveless sheath is also befitting the more expensive Loveless knife.

Be advised that if you click on the thumbnails, I left the original photos in a large size in order to show more detail:

According to the receipt, I bought the 2 Loveless in 1977, the price stickers are still on the boxes, $100.00 each. I'm glad I bought them when I did.

apparently the sheath that i have says something about the date and production of this knife...anyone know that?

Back