Loveless Shop Day 3

allen456

Loveless Shop Day 3

Another early morning and Jim beat me there. The fog was rolling in and out all morning. We sat down for a few minutes to recap what we worked on Tuesday, Jim in his chair, and me in Loveless's as usual. we discussed the various things that I had learned and he asked what stood out as the best thing thus far on my trip. Without hesitation, I answered, " I found a new friend" and he quickly agreed.

We spent some time going over and working the guard on the knife that we started making on Tuesday and preparing it for its soon to be heat treat. Everyone thing done in this shop either has specific jigs or templates that they have made over the years. After we finished with the knife prepping it to leave Cali and be finished up here, we spent some more time going over handle shaping and finishing a blade to then be marked, sheathed ( or as called there, making the knife's home) and then sharpened. this particular one is a dropped Hunter with black micarta and a name plate set into the handle. This was cool to watch and the little tricks he uses to make each handle similar as possible is really awesome yet so easy. A bonus was learning to give black micarta an even and smooth finish.

We spent the last our or two recapping the trip and sharing stories as we had all week. it was very hard to say goodbye to Jim and the shop. My trip was over and though I have many great memories, photos, videos, small tokens from the shop, and what will eventually be a knife that is a collaboration of the two of us, I still wanted more. the experience was so intoxicating that I left yearning for more time to be there and I feel that it just shows how much of an experience it was.

I can't thank Jim enough for all the time he took to spend with me showing all the process and amazing stories. Jim is a cut above the rest and I look forward to hopefully having a chance to go back and spend more time with him!

Thank you Jim for creating a young knife makers dream world!

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Blades waiting on the customers handle material to arrive.
Hosted on Fotki

Loveless's foot rest
Hosted on Fotki

The letter stamps used to mark guards with blanks so they can be reunited after heat treat.
Hosted on Fotki

One of Jim's personal pieces from his collection, absolutely stunning!
Hosted on Fotki

A trip I will never forget!
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen: What an awesome experience! It's great to hear it all went so well. I'm sure it was something that will stick with you forever and only increase the quality of the great blades you're putting out.

Kris

What a great friend to make with the added bonus of so much knowledge and so many stories. So glad you had the opportunity and looking forward to seeing how it influences your work.

What an amazing and fortunate trip for you. May you enjoy continued safe travel :thumbup:

Great trip. The memories, the knowledge, and the friendship are just what makes the trip that much sweeter.

Thanks for offering us a peek into your trip Allen. Now that you've had a chance to sit and digest all that knowledge, what's the 2-3 biggest things you took from the trip. Besides a new friend :)

Thanks for the awesome report. Truly an inspiration the loveless shop is.

Back