Low fit and finish at REKAT?

Mike
we offred to back Blade Forums on their decision. Refund them or whatever. We can't stop production and make one knife. All the hand ground blades were used up and we had no more blanks all the first run Sifu's were being ground. You were offred a refund and refused. If you would have returned the knife we would have honored a refund to Blade Forums.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

I just bought a Pocket Hobbit at the Calgary Gun show. It is the old style lock with no coatings. In my opinion the fit and finish are excellent. I will be buying more REKAT knives. Great knife, keep up the good work.

I think someone was looking for a "beyond the call" effort. The intrinsic collector's value of #4 of 70, I think is being overlooked here. A refund might not cut if the collector's value is higher. As for the fit and finish of REKAT products, I own 2 first generation pioneers (one good, one not so good), a first generation pocket hobbit and 2 Bladeforums Sifu's in Black-T (non-serial numbered) and if they represent current QC, then I am pleased. Keep up the good work REKAT!

Mike
Ok, do this send it back to us and I will foward it to Bob Brothers who is a craftsman knife maker. One condition it might not be returned for up to 90 days unless he can't fix it without fubaring it then it will be returned ASAP.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

THAT IS DEFINATELY ABOVE & BEYOND REQUIRED (expected?) CUSTOMER SERVICE! You can not ask any more than this from anybody, production or custom. Glad I bought my SIFU (#45) - REKAT is one outstanding company!

Bill

i purchased a pioneer model about a year ago.the fit and finish were not what i expected, but it is a very stout, strong tool that performs as good as i expected and i would not hesitate to buy more of their products. i also appreciate the fact that they make their knives for us lefties!thanks REKAT.

Originally posted by Spark:
Hold the phone there, Michael.

That is not the whole story.
You wanted another hand ground blade, serial numbered #4, to replace the one you had.

I never asked for another handground blade serial #4. This is a quote from my original email to REKAT on this issue:
>I really don't know what can be done about
>this but it would seem that some
>consideration is in order.

The only option I was ever given was to return it for a refund which after thinking about it for a long time I decided not to do. As I've said all along, I like the Sifu. I'm just disappointed in the one I received.
I was a very vocal supporter of the Sifu from the early stages on these forums. I'm a megafolder fan. Anyone can do a search and see that for themselves.

Originally posted by paranoid9999:
The intrinsic collector's value of #4 of 70, I think is being overlooked here. A refund might not cut if the collector's value is higher.

At least someone has a little understanding of what I'm talking about. Also, the fact that I got #4 shows how much I wanted a Sifu. I placed my order as soon as I got the email announcing that orders were being taken. That fact is proven by the fact that I got #4.

Originally posted by Bob Taylor:
Mike
Ok, do this send it back to us and I will foward it to Bob Brothers who is a craftsman knife maker. One condition it might not be returned for up to 90 days unless he can't fix it without fubaring it then it will be returned ASAP.

Okay, Bob, thank you, I'll do that. This is all I've been asking for, that you would take it and check it out and tell me what can be done. I want my Sifu, not a refund. Please email me with an address to send it.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

Just another example of REKAT 'raising the bar' in the customer service dept. Way to go Bob and Bob!

Bob Brothers,
Good to finally meet you @ the Eugene Show. Now I know you aren't really a myth created by Taylor.

'Crazy'Bob Taylor,
See you at the Bladeshow buddy. I want you to know the only factory folder[other than CAMILLUS/CUDA
wink.gif
] that I have carried since last Bladeshow has been the CARNIVORE you traded me. I love it. But after reading everybodies comments on the SIFU, I'm feeling a little inadequate. I gotta talk to you about a SIFU..........

Take care guys, and Miss Christina!

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

All I can say is that the Carnivore is my favorite folder. I have three of them. A plain edge, a combo edge, and a black finish combo edge. I like the tough, rugged appearance and feel. The actions were a little stiff at first but they have mellowed out with a little play. So let's stop whining about the RL stiffness, you know you want to play with it until it's just right anyways (no double meaning here!). I have only ever had two concerns with my Carnies:

(1) the older models don't have the dual thumb stud! - I don't know about you, but I NEED dual openeing studs...other wise my left hand gets jealous of my right...
(2) the belt clip is for tip-up carry only - it seems most people prefer this arrangement, but for me tip-down feels more comfortable and is faster...

Needless to say, these are really only minor gripes and they have not prevented me from buying a Carnie...and another, umm, and another...

Bottom line: REKAT are stout knives with lousy QC. This is a problem that they will have to fight for a long time...
Saw it, bought it, not buying another...

Well, I feel somewhat qualified to put my dimes worth here. (inflation from my 2 cents worth)

I have a REKAT Carnivore and have been nothing but pleased with it. In my opinion it is the best locking system on the market. Mine has great fit and finish, and all the ones I have seen have been well made knives. Yup, it is a bit gritty but that is the nature of the thing. Unlike a linerlock, there is constant contact on the lock and when 2 pieces of metal rub there will be a bit of grittiness. Having built several Rolling Locks (under license from Bob Taylor) I can say getting a glass smooth action on the knife is a bit more involved than just buffing the tang. I spend at least an hour or more smoothing the action up on one. It takes carefull stoning and very light buffing to get the glass smooth action on one of these critturs. I am sure REKAT could do this as well but adding an hour on every knife would raise the price considerably. My REKAT knife has smoothed considerably just from normal use. REKAT makes a great knife and continually improves their product and as Will says, hang on cause there is some exciting stuff comming from them!

Keep up the great work Bob Taylor, Christina Montero and Bob Brothers, and see you at the Blade Show!

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Another thing I have noticed; the rolling lock spring rust like no other. Maybe It has to be made that way, I don´t know.
Better keep it well oiled / tough-coated or I bet it´ll break sooner or later due to corrosion. The moisture have a hard time getting out of the mecanism.
Or am I just wining...?

BF Sifu #12 has developed play when locked. My Pocked Hobbit has the same problem. My unused BF Sifu #7 is still tight. Any thoughts Bob?

Thanks,

Colin

Just wanted to say "Well done REKAT, on the Sifu for MM."
I only own one REKAT, the Utility Neck KNife. I'm really sorry it went the way of the dinosaur, because it is one great little fixed bladed knife.

------------------
iktomi

Well, I'm still waiting for info on where I should be sending my Sifu to be checked out.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

Back