Lowrider for Nishijin Dragonfly?

Hey Steve,
I recently got a Dragonfly 2 with Nishijin scales and it came with a spoon clip that I do not like. Can you make a lowrider clip for this knife and would I need to send you the knife to have the clip made? I think this is the same clip as the stainless dragonfly. Have you make a clip for one of these before?

I would post a picture of my knife but I've already managed to break the clip that came with it (don't ask), so here is a photo from a quick internet search to give you an idea of what the original looked like.

nishijin by senorsquare, on Flickr

Hey Steve,
I recently got a Dragonfly 2 with Nishijin scales and it came with a spoon clip that I do not like. Can you make a lowrider clip for this knife and would I need to send you the knife to have the clip made? I think this is the same clip as the stainless dragonfly. Have you make a clip for one of these before?

I would post a picture of my knife but I've already managed to break the clip that came with it (don't ask), so here is a photo from a quick internet search to give you an idea of what the original looked like.

nishijin by senorsquare, on Flickr

No I don't recall anyway. Is it the same clip as the Lava? If it is that is the standard three hole original pattern basically. I think its hole size may be Japanese so its smaller than the 2-56. Or heck it may be the one that is bigger. I have not looked in a while. I'm also not sure if I have a Dragonfly or not. I get those mixed up. It may be a Lady Bug I saw in there that a customer gave me some time back. I was going to give it to the wife but it never made it that far and I don't think it has a clip now that I think about it. If it is the same pattern as the Emerson, Benchmade Griptilian, Lava, Calypso Jr. original Manix and many others in the industry I can make the clip without the folder needing to be here but I have to warn you on smaller knives the low riders can be noticed a lot more. They stand up off the folder some so on a big folder like the Para 2 it is not noticed. On a little guy tho, it can be almost obstructive so it depends on the size a lot for comfort. The low profile of the clip on it may be comfortable compared to a low rider if its too small.

I've never owned a lava so I couldn't say.

One thing I dislike about the stock clip is that is obscures those nice scales. Can you slim up the profile and maybe make it a little shorter as you are looking at the handle straight on? Like skinny necktie as opposed to wide necktie?

I'm not sure what your limitations are on how short and narrow you can make the clip. Here is a photo of the Native clip I got from you with the area marked in red that indicates the approximate size I have in mind.

EDIT - I checked and the hole spacing is the same as the mini-griptilian.

Capture by senorsquare, on Flickr

Last edited:
There are concerns for length change as it is possible I could put the lip in such a place as to make it poke so being you want it custom length and width I'd have to have it to do one that properly fits. I know it sounds strange but a 1 and 3/4" clip could be more uncomfortable than the length on it now probably closer to 2 and 1/8" or more. So effectively what we would be doing is moving the clip and hence the lip where it slides over the pocket. If that new position is such that its right where you want to put a finger to wrap the knife when gripping it could be for naught.

STR

That makes sense. Can you make one that is the standard length but make it as narrow as possible across the flat. If I don't like the way it looks/feels on the dragonfly then I can always put it on the mini-grip. If this sounds like something that you are willing to do then I will fill out the order form and send you some funds tomorrow. Let me know what you think about this approach and thanks for your help.

That makes sense. Can you make one that is the standard length but make it as narrow as possible across the flat. If I don't like the way it looks/feels on the dragonfly then I can always put it on the mini-grip. If this sounds like something that you are willing to do then I will fill out the order form and send you some funds tomorrow. Let me know what you think about this approach and thanks for your help.

Yeah I can still get one out tomorrow in the morning mail if you want it and I see the payment and addy its going to by then. Thanks again and if you get it and it just isn't right let me know. We'll take it from there.
STR

Do you use a lanyard because if so I may need to make it one not folded over late but rather quick to keep the lanyard hole free and clear of obstruction. Let me know
STR

Yeah I can still get one out tomorrow in the morning mail if you want it and I see the payment and addy its going to by then. Thanks again and if you get it and it just isn't right let me know. We'll take it from there.
STR

Yes I want it. I will fill out the order form and send a paypal your way shortly.

Do you use a lanyard because if so I may need to make it one not folded over late but rather quick to keep the lanyard hole free and clear of obstruction. Let me know
STR

I do not use a lanyard so go ahead and fold it over late. We haven't talked finishes yet, but just your regular stonewashed titanium will do. No anodizing are anything like that.

Thanks!!

Not bad for not having the knife to fit it I must say. It looks nice on it, right color choice too for your folder. The clip screws are probably not what I thought they were for size as I drilled them for 2-56 US threads. If the knife is made in Taiwan it probably needs the holes a bump bigger as I lose track of country origins and all when I don't have the model. With the Delica and Endura 4 models they use three different diameter screw sizes and I have to remember each time that the hole sizes are fussy. The stainless models use very tiny screws, the FRN fat ones and the G10 yet one in the middle of both but overall I do keep up at least with what I do them a lot for. Dragonfly? Not so much but it looks good. Could, maybe would have made the clip a bump shorter overall length had I had the knife but otherwise it should certainly work well for you. Thanks
STR

Back