Lum Inspired Dress Fixed Utility

Mike157

Gold Member
Hi All,

I had the pleasure of visiting Matt Gregory, earlier this year, pre-pandemic. The plan was for me show up with a knife design and make it entirely by my own hand. Matt, of course, would be there every step of the way to demonstrate techniques, give moral support, and show a good load of patience. Matt, I must say, is an excellent teacher and mentor. I also enjoyed the hospitality of and visiting with Matt's partner, Jill. And as always, enjoyed the company and snow trail forestry hikes with their four legged boy, Brokk.

I've always liked the simple and, to me, clean look of a full tang knife with scales recessed from the spine's edge. As are many, I'm also a fan of the late Bob Lum's knives. And, when appropriate, a bit of polished steel. This design features some of Mr. Lum's influence, the recessed scales, and a bit of polish.

Though I might have liked to have a slightly more tanto-ish tip, we both agreed that it might be pushing it for time we had and my skill level. I will also note that I let the grinder get away from me slightly, couple of times, so there were one or two modified "features".

The steel used was CPM-154, and came from Niagara Specialty Metals (NSM). They are located not far from Matt's place, and were gracious enough to give us nicely detailed tour which we enjoyed greatly. Good friend and talented knife maker, Chris Adelhardt, joined us for the morning hike with Brokk in the forestry and the visit to NSM. Matt surface ground the bar of steel before I arrived, to save us some time. I believe the the project took a solid 40 hours, which gave us one day to play, and me a day to travel on either end. I showed up at Matt's house with card stock template in hand. We transferred it to a more sturdy piece of cardboard and got to work. This blade had a thorough heat treat, including subzero quench and appropriate tempering.

The spine and clip are mirror polished. The flats are hand sanded past, and then back to 1000 grit. The bevel is belt ground to 800 grit. The scales are polished ironwood and include four hidden stainless pins. The blade is 5" from tip to plunge and the knife is 10" overall.

Paul Long created the wonderful, lined, sash carry, sharkskin sheath. Thank you, once again, my friend.

And, as is obvious, Coop, created the magical presentation. Thank you, Coop. Always appreciated.

A big thanks to Matt, Jill, and Brokk, for putting up with me for a week.

Thanks all, for taking a look. Mike

xlarge.jpg

Last edited:
That was a good time! I can provide a little more of the back story, through photos...

Mike flew into Buffalo to be met with a blizzard warning.

Seriously.

IMG_6688-X2.png

Luck had it that we didn't actually have blizzard conditions, but the drive to the airport and back had it's unique Western New York "lake effect" moments, that's for sure.

As Mike already mentioned, I'd previously swung over to Niagara Specialty Metals ( @nsm ) to pick up a piece of Crucible CPM-154 for the project, and prepped it for Mike's knife to save a bit of time. Mike had laid out a sweet profile, and we discussed the finer details and goals for it, and got started.

IMG_6675-X2.jpg

IMG_6676-X2.jpg

IMG_6680-X2.jpg

IMG_6681-X2.jpg

IMG_6686-X2.jpg

Once the knife was cut out and profiled, the work rests were eliminated from the equation. Everything from this point forward was done freehand.

IMG_6687-X2.jpg

While we waited for the blade to go through the heat treating cycle, cryo, and temper, we took a field trip back up to @nsm to tour the mill, joined this time by Chris Adelhardt of Pariah Knives. They had just taken delivery of a new bandsaw, which positively dwarfed all their previous saws:

IMG_6698-X2.jpg

....also, several forced marches:

IMG_6709-X2.jpg

Then, back to the grind. Lots and lots of hand sanding:

IMG_6700-X2.jpg

Profiling out handle scales from a gorgeous piece of desert ironwood:

IMG_6714-X2.jpg

Then shaping:

IMG_6720-X2.jpg

IMG_6721-X2.jpg

Mike worked like an animal on this project. We finished just in time - came right down to the wire. No detail was left unaddressed. Absolute dedication to do the best he could on every point, and chased out every flaw and scratch until it was DONE. When it was finally over, we tried to backtrack through the week and put an actual 'hands-on' time to the event, and as best as we could figure it, we just exceeded 40 hours. That's real time working on it, not counting heat treatment time, temper cycles, etc. Not once did he take a shortcut, and many of the processes aren't as obvious as you may think.

Great having Mike up here. Always makes for high adventure, good food, and great conversation. Glad to call him my friend, and it was a pleasure being able to facilitate the making of this 'dream knife'.

Last edited:
Love it. :thumbsup: It was great to see you finally put a maker’s mark on some steel Mike! Matt must be a heckuva teacher, not to take away from you of course. ;)

Thank you, each of you, for the nice comments. It is appreciated. Thanks to Matt for filling in more details of the visit and process. It was a fair amount of work, but every minute was enjoyed. The morning hikes and the visit with the great folks at Niagara really made the trip a treasure to be remembered. Mike

Very nice. I notice the radius around the periphery looks perfectly consistent. That must have taken some time and attention!

I love this story and this build. All I knew from arrival was that MIKE had done the work. It was meticulous, in it's finish and simplicity in design.

I gave it MY best. Mike deserves it.

How about that Paul Long! He can elevate any piece and he interpreted this need perfecto.

Matt, someday me. No mentor better. I have a forged (by me) and rough-ground fixed blade. I need tutoring. I can make it in 5 hours.... :)

Mike: Thank YOU! (Wait till they see your other acquisitions!)

Thanks again all. Always appreciate the comments, good, or otherwise. And yep, I think that Matt’s shop is a “scratch free zone”. There will be hand sanding, down to 4 x 10 to 198th.

Thanks, Coop. You are really too kind. I would agree about your assessments of Paul and Matt’s work though.

Dudley, it’s a trade off. Jill makes some really great desserts and is good company. It helps one forget about all the misery in the dungeon.:p Mike

Back