Lyme axe- England or Connecticut

E4vWpck
E4vWpck
E4vWpck
This is my 1st post and it may not load as expected. I found a shipwright's axe with a mark made up of 3 words forming a triangle. One of the words is LYME. Research led me to ask whether this is Lyme CT or Lyme England. Could the axe have origin in the historic triangle of trade or is a Connecticut maker? If the 3 photos don't load I'll try again, and keep trying until the post is all there.
E4vWpck

I'd say CT as that looks like old east-coast hand plane stampings. That's a beautiful axe as well. Especially with the hand made oak handle. In the last pic you can see the rasp marks from when they made it.

pZ22v
I'd say CT as that looks like old east-coast hand plane stampings. That's a beautiful axe as well. Especially with the hand made oak handle. In the last pic you can see the rasp marks from when they made it.
Thank you. The edge measures 6 7/8" straight from heel to toe. There are splits on the head, at the eye but not thru, from stress or maybe original (or partly) from the forge. I'll try to get some more photos to show that. I have seen a similar styled maker stamp on a wood molding plane. Have to ask even if not likely. Gonna sell and some more axes with some mystery that will be posted here.

Last edited:
Reactions: A17
Back