Lynn Griffith’s Sniper, review with pics (large)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjames

Sebenzanista
This is the “Knife Review” section of a post I placed on the main forum, with some images to help illustrate.
sniper.jpg

The “Sniper”, like all of Lynn’s “Back Up Series” of knives, is made of 1/8” ATS-34 stock. The knife is less than ¾” at its widest with a 3-3/4” flat ground blade on a mere 7-1/4” OAL. The point on the Wharncliffe is in line with the flat, strait edge of the blade, which reveals how true and flat the grind Lynn did is, since the blade naturally tapers to the point as the spine drops down the grind, getting thinner and thinner until it meets the edge in a narrow, precise point. A beautiful, simple design using the natural angles of the grind to enhance the blade geometry, the result being a fine, almost razor edge ending in a low, easily controllable point.
sniperback.jpg

The grip, Black Micarta scales over the full tang of the handle, is a simple two-finger index and a small palm swell, not quite four fingers long and also quite thin, about 3/8” thick at the index and a hair less at the palm swell, and barely a ¼” at the middle finger choil. The contours reveal a nice, almost wood grain pattern in the Micarta. Lynn tells me the original version had a handle almost an inch shorter, for a three finger grip. The extra length was a good choice; the handle indexes well for such a slim piece of steel, and is very positive and secure when gripped tightly for strong slashes and cuts. But the slim size and weight balanced in the handle make it easy to twist the blade around and adjust your grip when doing the precise cuts and carves that the tip is so good for, like a good strait edged whittler.
sniperhand.jpg

I received the knife on Friday morning and was able to put it to use almost immediately. The Opera rents out productions that they have mounted in the past, so that means packing up and shipping everything from table lamps to 8’ wide chandeliers. Lots of glass and crystal, much of it older than I am. We go through yards and yards of bubble wrap, long rolls of heavy plastic sheeting with lots of layers and pockets to snag the blade. Pulling the wrap up onto my bench from the roll on the floor, the low point and strait edge made clean cuts through the material along the edge of the table. The edge was more than keen enough to slice excess off of the pieces with an easy pass of the blade, and it made quick work of trimming down the cardboard boxes I was packing everything into.
sniperblade.jpg

The blade displays excellent toughness and edge retention. It can cut through 18/3 cable and #10 copper wire with an easy pull, and went through both hemp and polypro rope like a champ even after all that abuse. I took an old piece of 12/3 neoprene-jacketed cable and sliced it up like a carrot, just for fun. Lynn uses cryogenically treated ATS-34, and he gets great results. He took the time to discuss his process to me in some detail as well as the use of the steel in general. I have been very happy with some of the ATS-34 blades I have used in the past, and this one ranks amongst the best. This steel has been getting a bad rap lately, without people taking into account the treatment, grind and application involved. Just like all tools, the design and materials used will depend on the job it is asked to perform, and proper execution in producing the knife is key. Lynn seems to have optimized his materials for the task at hand, where durability in adverse conditions and maximum strength and toughness in a small package are a must.

Because I was looking at the knife and tying to evaluate it as more than just a utility tool I felt obliged to try the different carry options offered for this slim Wharncliffe. The basic sheath is a simple black rectangle of Kydex, just large enough for the blade and the fasteners along the edges, with a piece of gold paracord for neck knife carry. The two additional options are a multiple position Kydex belt loop and a Black Micarta clip that mounts for vertical tip up or tip down carry.
sniperset.jpg

Enough has been said about the pros and cons of neck knives so I don’t feel the need to go into it here, but the Sniper’s light weight and slim size are a big plus if that’s your choice of carry. Low weight, low profile and lots of blade with very little “imprint”. I’ll just say to each his own, and leave it at that.

I was much more impressed with the horizontal clip carry option that I used when my wife and I went out to dinner that night. I mounted the clip on the blade end of the sheath and suspended the knife handle down from my inside coat pocket, where a quick move would put the blade in my hand almost instantly. Strictly frowned upon by the local constabulary, I am sure. I can see why a knife like this would be perfect for a plain clothes or off duty LEO, the slim size and high blade to handle ratio combined with easy access certainly clarify the “Tactical” issue when it is slipped against your side. My wife didn't notice it the entire evening, even in close contact, and it would be easy to become accustomed to having a blade hanging there.

Saturday night I worked on the deck for a performance of "Louise" by Gustave Charpentier doing scene and act changes. This involves moving large amounts of scenery and lighting equipment quickly and quietly, and a “Back Up” knife, riding horizontal along the front of my belt with the grip just above the fifth pocket of my jeans, should come in very handy. Unfortunately, just about the only reason I had to pull the knife was to show it off, but it did afford the opportunity to try out this carry method in a more active setting than bench work. To say it’s convenient doesn’t do it a justice, the knife was in my hand as quick as I could think of it. I wouldn’t have known it was there if my hand were not drawn to rest naturally on the hilt. Almost unnoticeable, but then I was dressed in black from head to toe, as the job requires. I love my folders and usually shy away from carrying a fixed blade at work, but when you are carrying one it is always the first knife you reach for, so once again the “Tactical” aspects of the knife, low profile and ease of carry, aid in its overall usefulness.

Lynn has designed a specific tool for the job, and he has sacrificed little in the way of overall usefulness to do it. He has truly earned the title Tactical Knife Maker. The quality and workmanship of the knife is very high, it is a rugged tool with excellent fit and finish, a cleanly executed design.

------------------
James
San Francisco, CA

Nice looking knife, I have been pondering a similar design for awhile now because of the features you note. I'll want a little less acute point for durability, but man would that one penetrate.

Lynn, do you have any MNK-1's on hand?

-Cliff

Lynn, do you have any MNK-1's on hand?

-Cliff
Cliff,
I do not have any on hand at the moment. You could contact me about getting one on order. Or, I just spoke with Top Of Texas knives. They have 1. If you miss it, or would rather order from me, e-mail me.

Here is there website. www.toptexknives.com

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Ask about my in stock knives

St. James,
Those are great pictures. Can I use them on my website?

Thanks,

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Ask about my in stock knives

James, really comprehensive review, a top notch job. Your photo of the Sniper laying across your hand was a real defining point of the review. All the pics I'd seen previously were of the knife alone, this one put it in perspective. I like the style and simplicity of the knife. Good job mr Griffith !

Brian, thanks, I think that putting things into scale goes a long way towards clarifying a description.

Lynn, I am glad you like the pictures, feel free to use them. I will contact you about proper credit for them. Thank you for the fine knife.

------------------
James
San Francisco, CA

Well let's see now.

Is this an elaborate review or another marketing ploy? (Help me rename this knife)
Reads like marketing. Looks like marketing.

Do you work work for Lynn? Just curious...

Chavar makes a similar piece. MUCH nicer in my opinion.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

Ron,

James has been around for awhile. He does NOT work for Lynn. Neither does CliffS.

The purpose of the review section is for the ELUs to talk about what they like or don't like about the knives they have purchased, and perhaps to encourage or not encourage others to buy the same knife from said maker.

I actually like Chavar's stuff, but I don't work for him either.

sing

AKTI #A000356

Hold on a second here Lynn. There is absolutely no reason for you to leave BFC. None at all and you owe it to the people who believe in your products and yourself to stay right here. If you leave, then "they" win and the rest lose.

I have known StJames for almost a year here now and he doesn't work for anyone but the opera company. James is a very honorable man and he is not in cahoots with Lynn or anyone else for that matter and I for one find your insinuation inflammatory and unnecessary.

------------------
~Greg~

Whoa there Lynn. Ya cant leave. Well, you could if ya wanted, but I think I speak for alot of people when I say we want you to stay. For some reason, maybe a few people have taken a dislike to you, but I think it is an extreme minority. I believe you have alot more fans. You are a credit to these forums, ya turn out a hell of a knife, and just an all around nice guy. Dont let a few people get to you. I truely hope you decide to stick around. See ya at the show
smile.gif

Richard

Lynn - I don't think anyone wants to see you leave. I can understand how people might get tired of the self-promotion that seems to fill many of your posts. Here's an example from a couple of days ago in the Custom Forum:

St. James,
Thanks for mentioning the Sniper. But you for got to mention the maker (me). Still very happy the Sniper was mentioned. Almost as nice as you review of it, in the review section.

Also, your signature has not one, but two references to awards that your knives have won. I have no doubt that you make fine knives. I have no doubt that your customers like you and your products. However, if you'd concentrate on making fine knives and offering good customer service, your customers will fall all over themselves trying to praise you here at BladeForums. Let your product, reputation, and customers do the talking for you.

------------------
Kelly

SenatorsPlace.com
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

I would like to thank Sing and my friend Gregg for their kind words of support. It is the people you get to know and respect that make this forum a real community, one that I am happy to be a part of. I hope that Lynn is not discouraged by the occational troll with no constructive feedback trying to flame things up.

If anyone wants to know who I am or where I am coming from, try looking around a little, I have been pretty liberal with my opinions and background in my past posts. I will simply stand by my words.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate it.

------------------
James
San Francisco, CA

I don't dislike Lynn. I don't even know Lynn.

My post did NOT contain a personal attack on Lynn. Consequently, I believe I am within the rules of the forum.

It was my opinion of a post which was unusually elaborate, long, detailed and incredibly positive for a review. It looked and sounded like a sales pitch to me.

When you consider this post along with some of his previous unabashed marketing posts, it's easy to see it in the same light. Which may have caused me to form an incorrect suspicion about the poster.

When a post appears which relates to a product and perhaps to someones business, you are putting it 'into play'. One cannot expect all replys to be positive.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

Ron,

I think we need to keep in perspective more than just the rules of the board, but the intended courtesy behind those rules. I can understand if some of Lynn's own posts have seemed overzealous to you, but it is another matter entirely when an independent forumite chooses to sing his praises. Please understand that your post effectively accuses Lynn and James of some unsavory marketing shenanigans, and this is both a grave and unfounded allegation.

I've felt that Lynn may push the envelope of what's appropriate marketing here and I've said as much (perhaps not as carefully as I should). In talking with Lynn and others, however, I've come to understand several important things:

1) If this is so, it is done in innocence and Lynn is open to criticism if it is constructively stated.

2) Lynn is within the rules set by these boards, and very responsive to feedback from input from Spark and others about those rules.

3) The internet is impersonal and can be socially awkward, and we should all bear this in mind when we evaluate the conduct of others.

I think that we will all lose if we drive people away from these boards for minor and unwitting conraventions of our rather vague rules. If you feel someone steps "over the line," approach them respectfully and make suggestions that will improve their posting here, not end it. Lynn is a perfect example - people (myself included) have a few gripes with his posting style, yet they do not contact him directly but instead take pot-shots at him on the boards and in private. Lynn is a fairly new member here, and simply learning the ropes; we would be diminished by his loss.

On a final note, there are enough makers and manufacturers out there whose products do not live up to their self-promotion. I'd suggest we should first crititcize there before attacking someone whose products clearly do.

------------------
-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives

Lynn,

I was just thinking of some of the private emails you sent to me.

You know, the ones that said things like 'why do you hate me',
'how could you do this to me',
'how could you embarass me in front of the whole world'.

Thanks for your gracious offer above.

And consider it asked.

OK Folks the rules have not been broken here at all.

However this thread could get out of hand rather quickly.

Lynn makes knives and sells them. His signature file is plenty of self promotion and he can post whenever and wherever he likes as long as the post is not an outright commercial post. If someone asks a question he is within his rights and the rules of this forum to answer them. The review above, whether prompted by Lynn or not is simply that, a review.

Cliff asked a question and got his answer.

RKnight may be a bit out of line by asking what I beleive to be a somewhat inflammatory question here. A simple email to me would of been more in order.

Lynn understands the rules of the forum. You may beleive he skirts around them a bit by clouding a commercial post inside a clever thread title but how do I police that?

The "Help me rename this knife" thread is in the Knife Exchange where commercial posts a OK.

If I am missing something here let me know via email but keep this thread civil please.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

I have not done anything in Blade Forums to make you look bad. Why, is it that you would do this to me?

Lynn

This is the e-mail, in its entirety that I sent privately to Ron Knight.
Ron,
I will consider your request.

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical KnifemakerMy website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back