Lytle Creek, CA-Overnighter

My photos from an overnighter in Lytle Creek, CA.

IMG_0179.jpg

The hike in

Hydrating before the hike

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

We went from a desert like terrain into a rock boulder field

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

into a creek bed

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

into a marshy area where we usually have to hunt for the trail

machete country
IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Mud found an old friend
IMG_0207.jpg

Setting up camp and craft

As the hammocks were being hung I went to make up my bed for the night

I use the back (spine) of the machete on dry wood to buck off the branches, saving my cutting edge

IMG_0217.jpg

Chopping dry wood with the machete was all about weakening it enough to break with a foot or by dropping it on a boulder

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

The frame

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Dry sticks and bows to create the springy structure

IMG_0241.jpg

A hug sized bushel of pine bows taken from a few different trees for the top

IMG_0281.jpg

My bed for the night made mostly of dead wood from what was on the ground with a machete

For a grill, these small saplings were easily cut with one swipe

IMG_0212.jpg

Fire prep

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Food

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

Someone has been sitting in my bed

IMG_0827.jpg

Night of the critters

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Campfire stories

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

Pale Swallowtail

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Big ass rocks

IMG_1017.jpg

Mummy face

IMG_1010.jpg

The tomb

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

My gear for this overnighter

IMG_0880.jpg

Gossamer Gear Riksak Backpack

-fleece
-beanie (fleece)
-gloves
-platypus 2L
-MSR titanium mug
-camera case
-Adventure Medical Kits Emergency bivvy, water purification tabs, rain poncho, sandpaper (400/600), survival business card

IMG_0879.jpg

Carried in pockets or on belt
IMG_0886.jpg

-RB

Nice pictorial thanks enjoyed it.
First thing that came to my mind was it looks like rattlesnake country.
Did you drink and or treat the stream h20

Great photos and Gear as Always

You go to the Best Places

Thanks for posting Bro

Awsome pics 'ol Bud...how was the sleep on the branches ? No bug bites ? I see your still using the Marbles Orange wonder ! I like the "Cheap" machetes !

Nice pictorial thanks enjoyed it.
First thing that came to my mind was it looks like rattlesnake country.
Did you drink and or treat the stream h20

Rattlesnake country, I have seen several through the years, but none this last time.

No, I just drink it, haven’t filtered water in years.

Great photos and Gear as Always

You go to the Best Places

Thanks for posting Bro

Thanks pal.

Awsome pics 'ol Bud...how was the sleep on the branches ? No bug bites ? I see your still using the Marbles Orange wonder ! I like the "Cheap" machetes !

I love cheap, light reliable tools.

IMG_0869.jpg

I didn’t take a sleeping bag, or pad. I just had day hiking gear.
Sleeping on the bed was amazing. It is from the old Mors Kochanski video and in his book. Easy to make, but it takes some time. Very lofty and lots of spring. I only used a “hug sized” bunch of green bows for comfort. I never felt the cold of conduction. I had an all night fire and had to wake a few times to put some more wood on it, but I slept better than I had in years. I actually slept until 9:30 am. Too comfortable to get up.

The other two, in their hammocks with pad, had a cold night. Just different types of sleepers we are.

What is in the leather bag?

Just a small kit, Maglite solitare, and SAK Hiker.

-RB

Good stuff, thanks for sharing that Reuben :thumbup: Those spider looking bugs are creepy!

...how was the sleep on the branches ? No bug bites ?

Good stuff, thanks for sharing that Reuben :thumbup: Those spider looking bugs are creepy!

Despite the onslaught of bugs, none bothered me partly because I was on a raised bed and partly because I don’t care about them. I can’t recall ever hearing of people killed in their sleep by bugs. I have also been around a lot of bugs and had everything crawl on me, so those types of things don’t bother me.

The Isula ant is a different story, I will usually try to avoid them.

-RB

That last time I slept without a sleeping bag/blanket outside I was swarmed by mosquitoes.. Not sure how you can manage without at least a cover. (I don't mind mosquitoes in the day, they never actually bite me. But at night they keep me awake)

Great pics though :thumbup:

That last time I slept without a sleeping bag/blanket outside I was swarmed by mosquitoes.. Not sure how you can manage without at least a cover. (I don't mind mosquitoes in the day, they never actually bite me. But at night they keep me awake)

Great pics though :thumbup:

I slept by the fire all night so the smoke helped and there was a nice breeze.

-RB

Despite the onslaught of bugs, none bothered me partly because I was on a raised bed and partly because I don’t care about them. I can’t recall ever hearing of people killed in their sleep by bugs. I have also been around a lot of bugs and had everything crawl on me, so those types of things don’t bother me.

The Isula ant is a different story, I will usually try to avoid them.

-RB

Where I am, my concern is ticks and the Lyme disease they may carry. Granted, the west coast has less of a problem with Lyme disease than the east coast, and I doubt ticks are crawling around at night looking for hosts (one should be aware when walking through grassy/bushy trail margins and being right in leaf litter though), but as far as bugs go, that's my only real concern. They're the only reason I wouldn't simply use a tarp shelter anywhere. I wouldn't want a rattlesnake or something cuddling up in my bag for warmth either, but I'm sure chances of that are slim to none.

Man, awesome photos. Looks like a great time, thanks for sharing.

Back