M-9 Bayonet That Properly Fits 16" Barreled M-4 ??

I put this in the Ontario Knife forum because they already make a Mil-Spec M-9 bayonet. I was wondering why no companies currently make a M-9 Bayonet that would properly fit a 16" civilian barreled M-4 Carbine? There would surely seem to be a good market for them, seeing as how many civilian 16" barreled AR-15's have been sold over the last several years.

Mil-Spec M-9 Bayonets fit poorly on 16" or 20" civilian model AR-15's, allowing the hilt to rattle well passed the flash suppressor, engaging instead on the much smaller barrel diameter. All that would have to be modified is the handle be manufactured 2" longer from the lug engagement tabs to the hilt. I wouldn't think this would create much of a manufacturing cost or issue, considering the market it would open up. No, it wouldn't be a military "correct" bayonet, but then neither is a 16" barreled M-4 if you think about it. Comments?

I put this in the Ontario Knife forum because they already make a Mil-Spec M-9 bayonet. I was wondering why no companies currently make a M-9 Bayonet that would properly fit a 16" civilian barreled M-4 Carbine? There would surely seem to be a good market for them, seeing as how many civilian 16" barreled AR-15's have been sold over the last several years.

Mil-Spec M-9 Bayonets fit poorly on 16" or 20" civilian model AR-15's, allowing the hilt to rattle well passed the flash suppressor, engaging instead on the much smaller barrel diameter. All that would have to be modified is the handle be manufactured 2" longer from the lug engagement tabs to the hilt. I wouldn't think this would create much of a manufacturing cost or issue, considering the market it would open up. No, it wouldn't be a military "correct" bayonet, but then neither is a 16" barreled M-4 if you think about it. Comments?

Depends on how the rifle is set up. There's so many ways to put together an AR15 it's mind boggeling. But what it boils down to is barrel length vs gas system/handguard length. A bayonet should fit a 20" barreled M16 clone just fine. I think they will fit on a 16" barreled carbine with a mid-length gas tube/handguards. The military M4's are 14" barrels IIRC which is why the bayonet doesn't fit well on a 16" barrel with a carbine setup.

I checked with our government sales manager and took notes, I'll summarize some of the key points he made here:

- You're right that we make the existing product to mil-spec. The end result of that is that we have molds and tooling that we cannot modify.
- Creating an additional product and the tools that will be needed might not be starting from scratch entirely, but it's not that far off.
- There is a company called Triple R Products that makes an adapter for a 16" barrel, although I should point out that we've never manufactured or tested that model, so we really can't endorse it. What I can tell you about it is that it exists, it might be worthwhile for you to research that.

To bigghoss's point, that raises another issue. If we make a bayonet, we can certify that our mil-spec bayonet will work with one type of mil-spec rifle. If someone calls us up and says "I bought an AR15" it's going to be more complicated to tell you that we can guarantee that your bayonet will fit properly and securely. I'm not on board with the idea of giving you guys a product I can't promise you will work and be safe, and I never will be.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's more than a lot of companies would do today. And I love my Ontario M-9. It is without question, the most rugged knife I own.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's more than a lot of companies would do today. And I love my Ontario M-9. It is without question, the most rugged knife I own.

The way I see it, if I can't fill a request, I should at least tell you why. Thanks for the kind words about the M-9!

Maybe ontario could market a clamp on/extended lug bbl device.. A block of metal that would engage the lug that is already on a carbine sight tower and offer another lug positioned in the right spotn in relation to the flash hider..

It would be a cheap set of bits to cut, and simple operations to finish. Might make you a hero in the civilian AR world. Hell, put rails on the top an sides of it and people would love it.

Back