M-9 Question

CKE2

Gold Member
This is my first Buck Forum post. I have an M-9 I got as a gift a half dozen years ago. It has seen lots of use and I love it. It has saved my bacon many times. I would say my most used knife. I have never thought about the toughness, as it has always performed well beyond my imagination.
Anyways to my Q...What style of tang is it? I have pryed with it and never worried about snapping it. Thanks for your help. The search function brought up nothing for me other than letting me know the other companies that made the M-9. Take Care!!!

Just checked Bucks site and it does not even show the M-9. So, I assume it is out of production? What about the Buckmaster?? Thanks again...Take Care!!!!

Here's a site with the history of the M-9 and BuckMaster:
www.quarterbore.com/knives/m9bayonet.html

I have one myself, a second generation Phrobis-marked bayonet. I find it interesting in a historical sort of way, but I've yet to find a use for it. It's too darn heavy to carry, and not designed for most things I'd ever use a knife for.

Best Wishes,
Bob

Looks like mine is from 1991 which sounds correct. It has the 188+ mark on it. I just can't figure out if it is the Commercial (black) or the US army version. It has a black blade so maybe the lower production commercial black. Not sure, and in no way is it a collectable anymore.
I loved the heft of this blade. Great camp/survival knife. Made many a shelter and cut lots of fire wood with it.
Still no info on the tang???????
Take Care!!!
Just checked another forum. Mine is a commercial variant, black blade, green handle.....And still no tang info:(

The M9 has a two piece tang. The actual tang of the knife blade is short and threaded. A tang extension is threaded onto the short tang. The end of the extension is drilled and threaded for the hex screw that holds the handle and butt piece in place. The M9 is a modular design so broken parts can be replaced. The two piece tang design prevents blade breakage by "giving" at a certain amount of torque, such as might be encountered in extreme prying efforts. HTH

quarterbore website now links to a m-9bayonet website. I did not notice any posters except for the original starter...quarterbore. After lots of searching around I did see the two different styles of tang, the one you mention Slufstuff and another that is similiar except it has a long tang and no tang extension. ANother is riveted on the end. Mine definetly has a threaded tang as there is a socket head cap screw on the pommel.
Thanks for the great links Bob and the info Slufstuff.
Take Care!!!

The other two styles of tang design you saw on Quarterbore were experiments for the USMC, when they were considering adopting the M9 as a standard bayonet. Both were full length tangs, one drilled and tapped and the other rolled as a permanent tang (often called a rivet by collectors, as that is what it looks like on the assembled bayonet). These USMC prototypes are very rare and bring big dollars from collectors. The overwhelming majority of M9's, including the Buck commercial, Phrobis III USGI bayonets, and the Lan-Cay and Ontario Knife contracts, are of the two piece design. :)

Thanks for the links to my site... I just want to make sure that everybody knows that the M9 pics and forums are being moved to a new website. Plese check it out but I just wanted to add a new link in case the links above go dead when I finish the move!

M9 Bayonet Website

CKE2, The new website has only been up a couple weeks and most of the posts are mine as I was the one that transfered the posts... As always, we are looking for a few good members to post pics and share their knowledge so drop on in...

As for your tang, ONLY the 1993 USMC M9s had full tangs. You can see more info on those knives at "MY" post here:

1993 USMC M9 Bayonet

Back