1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

M.Gregory Knives/Matt Parkinson, JS Collaboration Blade

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Matthew Gregory, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    This was a pretty nifty project, with yet another good friend and absurdly talented guy. Several months back I had dinner with Matt Parkinson of Dragon's Breath Forge while he was teaching at the Arc & Flame Center in Rochester, NY (a VERY cool place, if you haven't heard of it, and not all that far from my house). After a marginal meal of pho thai improved upon with good conversation, he handed me a small chunk of his damascus steel. It was a scrap section cut from the tip of an experimental sword he was working on, and even through the forge scale it looked to be interesting, so I took it home and tried to determine how best to make use of it.

This is what I came up with, once again captured flawlessly by @SharpByCoop :

[​IMG]

The 5 inch blade of Matt's damascus is 1084 and 15N20, hollow ground, and with a small dropped edge. I love how that bit of mono steel peeks out at the tip like a lick of flame. Overall length is 10-1/2 inches.

The simple oval guard of black G10 and stainless steel spacers are gently concave, and blend seamlessly into a drop-dead gorgeous bloodwood handle. I got this piece of wood from my buddy Don Andrade, and used it because that dramatic red really added a touch of drama to the piece without competing with the damascus. The handle is a delicate oval shape, but all of the surfaces except the butt are concave, akin to the flare of a trumpet, only much much less flare. It's subtle, but the effect is to coax your hand into the center of the handle as you grip it. The cotton cord improves overall grip while providing a chance to retain the beautiful gold plated sterling silver peacock menuki.

Thanks for looking!

parfums95, shqxk, jdm61 and 25 others like this.
  2. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    It’s raining blades from Gregory-ville lately! Another nice one Matt. :thumbsup: Really like the way the front end comes out clean, emerging from the Damascus. Whole lotta details in there.

Matthew Gregory and Mike157 like this.
  3. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    Very very nice work, Matt. :thumbsup:

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  4. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker - Buckeye Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    Wonderful Matt - I'm a fan of bloodwood.....it's plain yet elegant stuff. The mono steel tip adds an interesting element. Nice work bud. :thumbsup:

Matthew Gregory and Dawkind like this.
  5. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Such a beautiful piece, with all of the finely finished elements flowing together to make a perfect whole. Something that could easily be in the Smithsonian but really should be in someone’s hand. Love this one! Mike

Matthew Gregory, Dawkind and mb> like this.
  6. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Got a vest bowie/tanto fusion thing going that is awesome. Really like this piece.

7. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Beautiful my friend

8. Durban Devil

Durban Devil Hunter Handmade Knives

May 13, 2012
    That is a gorgeous blade, Matt. The damascus is striking and I really love the blood wood handle.

9. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Sexy, ...Beautiful....Flawless.... etc etc
    Love your work !

10. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    What a work of art!

11. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    I saw the WIP on this and it is stunningly fine....outstanding Damascus and, of course, your incredible eye for design and style.

A great collaboration and always exceptional photography from Coop... :cool:

12. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    You're killin' it, Matt.

13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Very cool piece.

I've already nicknamed it. Peacock's Spur in my mind.....

14. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    very nice work. the damascus pattern is interesting :thumbsup:

15. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    That one is really hot in so many ways.

16. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    What a smile this gave me. Shooting ANYTHING for Matt is privilege and a pleasure.

Wait... Which Matt? :confused:

Yes. Both. :p :thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Very cool project, that came out excellent. Blood wood is some really nice wood to work with I used it in some of the hand planes I’ve made.

18. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    there's a lot to like about this knife, but the first thing that catches and holds my eye is the faceting and contouring of the butt of the handle. Really nice activity going on there, but pretty understated at the same time

19. Jason Volkert

Jason Volkert KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    That is drop dead gorgeous!!!

20. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks, everyone. I have a few upcoming collaborations with some other friends - but first, I need to get my house renovations done! :oops:

Dawkind and Jason Volkert like this.