::::::M.P.C. vs. Spyderco Military :::: if i can few questions ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A great picture, Frank.

How about a picture of either the blade root or the lock itself, unassembled, so that we can see the contour of the locking mechanism where the lock and the blade meet?

I may have asked too much. :)

Regardless of whether Frank can get us that picture, I want to say that in all the years I have participated in the various knife forums, I have never seen a distributor who extends as much customer support as has Frank.

God willing, and my wife finishes her Master's program, I will buy a Nemesis from Frank this coming July.

Ken,
I am hard at work trying to get a full picture spread, and complete detailed explanation, of the lock back and the Cross Bolt Safety system. This will be posted on my website for all to view. I, too, feel this is very important due to the many requests that I have received.
Thanks for all the input and your patience!

As to the question of aluminum.

Some makers make use of "aircraft grade aluminum", not aircraft aluminum. What is aircraft grade aluminum? Who knows, someone should be able to respond, but I think it would have to be stronget than plain old aluminum, and certainly if it is aircraft grade, it will be strong to the extreme [ get it, extreme, as in extreme ratio? ].

I am about to receive the MPC tomorrow that was ordered last week. One of the reasons the knife is more expensive is that the balde is a cobalt alloy. Anyone familiar with cobalt? It's expensive and not seen much in any knifemaking I've seen lately.

The handles are anticorodal aluminum and my guess is it will stand the test of a lifetime. From others who have posted on this knife after owning one for awhile, I have no doubt the knife is rugged to the extreme.

Would I trust it for hard use over the Military? Of course, if for no other reason than it has a crossbolt secondary locking system similair to shotguns and 30-30's, etc.

One of the real nice things about the MPC I ordered is it is NOT a linerlock which is prone to problems as they wear over time, it is a lockback is of course is considered one of, if not the strongest locking mechanisms out there to be had. It was a BIG deciding factor in my purchasing one in the first place.

The MPC can not ever be compared to the military Spydie. Two different animals with different mission statements, different materials, etc.

As to questioning the aluminum handles, anyone ever have a problem with their Microtechs or MODS in the past? Think not, then why would I then question the use of a similiar material by ER?

Can't wait to get mine, it may replace the SnG strider I carry daily, then again, it may just have to sit in the left pocket as a secondary backup to the SnG.

The next day or two will tell me if I spent too much money on the knife, my guess from others answering questions I have asked at other locations is that I will be very happy with the knife with the possible exception of the weight of the knife in my pockets.

MODS are almost 200.00, MT's are almost that themselves, factor in the exchange rate and I do not see the price point as excessive [ for me especially as I get them at my dealer price point ].

I paid a lot more for the SnG strider and some customs. You either have no issues with that amount for a defensive knife or you do. Personal choices here folks. I know people who would never spend for a MOD or MT knife as they believe they are too expensive. I know others who will spend twice that if their a$$ will be on the line one day and they want to best product which has a better chance of helping them through the rough spots of survival.

It's all relative to what you can live [ or die ] with and it's intended use.

Stay safe

Brownie

Yes, Brownie, i have set of italian flatware, and they have aluminium grips too, and on the box is typed "Made from aircraft aluminium"..

So...now im really MANY confused about aluminium ...
Is it the same aluminium (flatware for 6 persons, set cost 25usd...) or not ????

quote: The MPC can not ever be compared to the military Spydie. Two different animals with different mission statements, different materials, etc.

Yes, of course, different materials, S30V and G-10 vs.N690 and aluminium, 110usd vs.349usd, its what i ask first, why this knife is so expensive, when material is worse than Military have and is more than 3x expensive...

btw: what Mr.Frank posted in this thread HERE ,detailed pics, sorry me, but this is not hi-tech work of precision engineerin ..im sorry, but i saw parsed Spydercos, Benchmades and Microtech and its hi tech engineering work inside ....
And they all cost LESS!
I think, this knife is sure great, design is superb, but is overpriced mostly, understanding price is around 120usd, most.

If you're happy with Spyderco, then by all means, stick with them. If you're sincerely interested in Extrema Ratio knives, peruse the website, or search this site and you'll find all the information you need to find the information you seek.

Otherwise, like everyone had tried to say, you're comparing apples to oranges.

As far as the materials go, the ER line is definitely not made of inferior material, nor craftmanship. Read this page, then check out the steel chart comparison:

http://www.target-masters.net/bladesteel.asp

Originally posted by Burchtree
If you're happy with Spyderco, then by all means, stick with them. If you're sincerely interested in Extrema Ratio knives, peruse the website, or search this site and you'll find all the information you need to find the information you seek.

Otherwise, like everyone had tried to say, you're comparing apples to oranges.

As far as the materials go, the ER line is definitely not made of inferior material, nor craftmanship. Read this page, then check out the steel chart comparison:

http://www.target-masters.net/bladesteel.asp

Yees, sure, im interested, its reason, why i ask here!
And i wasnt talking about inferior material, if you have read this thread, i ask about aluminium GRIP first ...

And unfortunately, i found not informations what i ask first there ...
And about MPC lock too.
Perhaps im not so big moron, when Ken Cox dont know these infos too ...
But now im smarter, when Mr.Frank gave explanations ..

okay. The grips are fine, some of the other people have replied about the durability of them; myself included.

Hi Simona,

I don't think the materials are inferior to the Military materials at all, but then everyone's opinions will differ.

If you take into account the cobalt alloy of the blade, the extra price over the MODS or MT's doesn;t seem all that far from each other in price point.

Perhaps if Frank would allow me a test knife for testing against the Spyder military through my website at www.folders-r-us.org I can give everyone some actual data to make a more informed decision.

I may just test mine anyway [ in time ]and if there are issues with the knife I'm sure Frank would gladly repair it or replace it.

I'm in the process of reviewing/testing an MT UMS and a MOD CQD, it would be interesting to see the difference betwen these klnves as they all have the high speed/low drag users in mind as their market entry.

Brownie

Originally posted by brownie0486
Hi Simona,

I don't think the materials are inferior to the Military materials at all, but then everyone's opinions will differ.

If you take into account the cobalt alloy of the blade, the extra price over the MODS or MT's doesn;t seem all that far from each other in price point.

Perhaps if Frank would allow me a test knife for testing against the Spyder military through my website at www.folders-r-us.org I can give everyone some actual data to make a more informed decision.

I may just test mine anyway [ in time ]and if there are issues with the knife I'm sure Frank would gladly repair it or replace it.

I'm in the process of reviewing/testing an MT UMS and a MOD CQD, it would be interesting to see the difference betwen these klnves as they all have the high speed/low drag users in mind as their market entry.

Brownie

Hi Brownie,

its really good idea!!! Test this knife,and this aluminium grip, under HEAVY USE and show what is good or not, with aluminium.
And is.

Me again,

I just spoke with Frank at ER in Missouri for the last 1/2 hour.

Though Frank does not feel he needs to prove anything, relative his product, anymore than anothers knife from a variety of makers, he answered all my questions with straight forward answers.

Frank will not send an ER to anyone to test specifically. He did mention that if I tested my own and it failed in anyway, ER would be happy to correct the problem or repalce the knife.

So, here is the solution. I will be testing my own MPC when it arrives over the course of several months. I have several in the que for testing before this one comes up but I will be evaluating the MPC in the future.

I don't believe I can ask any more from any maker, to have any problems found corrected or replaced. I will not destruction test the knife, but I will use it hard and put it up wet [ as the say ].

Say about 6-8 months and I'll post that the review is up at that time.

In the meantime, if you can't wait that long, buy one yourself and post the results you meet with.

Stay sharp

Brownie

Came across a published article by Leroy Thompson, I'm sure most should know his reputation as a real world type guy who regularly has gone in harms way and "made it back".

Leroy stated that he ran the MPC through it's paces. He states that there has been a need for a true military folder which to date has not been forthcoming with the exception of the Sere Attack or the MOD CQD, until now. Thats right, he has determined for himself that the MPC fits that role role military tasks, spec ops [ swat types ] and close combat.

He equates his MPC to his sig-210, utterly reliable, overbuilt, and to do anything or any job he asks of it in real nasty places including those he would normally equate to a fixed blade.

He says the back lock is so sturdy that it is actually difficult to operate. He says thats not a negative thing in his mind, as once it is opened it takes a concerted effort to close it. With the crossbolt on the backlock, it is not going to close unless the users wants it to.

The MPC stands for "multi purpose combat". It provides a convenient, sturdy, and low profile knife which should perform ANY task an officer asks of it.

He had a group of about a hlaf dozen folders or automatic knives which he used for various law enforcement or military related tasks. Since he has started using the MPC it has replaced three folders and two fixed blades. He now considers this his single most versatile combat knife he owns.

If he had to choose one knife to do it all, fixed and folder tasks, he would take this over all others to perform myriad tactical or combat missions.

He considers it an "excellent value for the price".

If you don't know who Leroy Thompson is, have someone who does know of his exploits and writings in the gun and knife rags give you an idea of his background.

I'll have mine in my hands tomorrow at 17:00 EST. I'm really looking forward to this.

Stay sharp

Brownie

To answer the question with regard to the two knives in this thread.

I have only had the ER MPC for an hour but I can tell you that the Millie is not going to be anywhere near the hard use knife this MPC is.

I'd use the MPC for about anything, even prying and not worry at all about it failing where I would not even attempt to do the same chore with the Millie.

I could really damage the tip of the Millie under extreme conditions but do not see how, with the thickness at the point and steel surrounding it that the MPC will fail under twice the stresses.

Thats the initial impression, I own both, have carried the Millie on and off over the years and I have to believe the Millie would be broken and disgarded along the way long before the MPC failed me.

More impressions to follow. I'm not disparaging the Millie, it is a fine knife and I like it. It is just not in the same class of hard use the MPC is, not even close.

Brownie

Hi Simona,

The MPC is very heavy, not something you drop or clip in your pocket and not know it is there.

About the same width, slighter longer than the Millie and twice as thick.

I posted near this thread recently on other aspects of my observations this evening, please see the other thread for more details so I don't reiterate on two threads at the same time.

BTW--You have quite a talent with collage and photography. I enjoy the pictures you submit. :cool:

Stay sharp

Brownie

Hi Simona,

The MPC is very heavy, not something you drop or clip in your pocket and not know it is there.

About the same width, slighter longer than the Millie and twice as thick.

I posted near this thread recently on other aspects of my observations this evening, please see the other thread for more details so I don't reiterate on two threads at the same time.

Stay sharp

Brownie

Well, thanks for info :)
Post some MPC photos!!,details and so..... if you have digi camera...or if you have photos and you have not place, let me know, i have my own 80Gb server with fast connect to internet, so place for photos is not problem :)
I posted new (from monday) Military photos
HERE

so if you want, build here thread,something a la "ForExtremaRatioBladeFans!" - photos,pics,wallpapers,etc...:)

What you wrote ..MPC is very heavy..." -- doesnt matter, massive things are best!!!

Hi Simona,

Just want to clarify something for everyone.

When I gave the comparative dimensions to the Millie, that was for both closed.

Brownie

Hi Simona,

Just want to clarify something for everyone.

When I gave the comparative dimensions to the Millie, that was for both closed.

Brownie

Eee, perhaps i dont understand right, what you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back