M390 Steel – History and Properties (and 20CV and 204P)

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thanks Larrin. Not at all surprised to see a revision to the toughness figures for M390. In my experience it does seem rather prone to chipping.

Love your work Larrin. My experience with this steel family hasn't been anything special. I wouldn't be able to tell is apart from S30V if not for the stamp. But I tend to touch up my edge when it losing the hair popping bite. For that use I really don't see a difference in any steel north of CPM 154 other than the high alloy carbons.

The only steels I never got past chipping after removing all remnants of the burnt factory edges was Spyderco's S110V and Cold Steel's short lived foray into XHP. I'm talking excessive chipping with both after multiple full sharpenings. Was happy to see Cold Steel move away from it, but sadly they also moved away from those delightfully thin hollow grinds.

Great article. Very interesting to read, learned quite a bit especially about the history of the M390 "clones".

I also am a bit proud that you linked to my BF post as a reference. ;)

Great article. Very interesting to read, learned quite a bit especially about the history of the M390 "clones".

I also am a bit proud that you linked to my BF post as a reference. ;)
Probably just means I use poor sources. :p

Back