M398 Steel Testing – Edge Retention, Toughness, and More

Larrin

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
That High edge retention excited me but that low toughness... all of a sudden it doesn’t look so wonderful
Considering that now we have flexible and hardenable ceramic .....Soon we will come to point that it is better to use ceramic knives then stainless steel one , at least in kitchen :)

Interesting article. I live in Syracuse NY where Crucible is located. Maybe if the world ever back to normal i can get a tour. Just a quick question, why the tungsten addition? I understand its place in the M series but what does it add to a stainless like that? I don't know if there is a quick simple answer but what are some basic ways that it could have been designed better? That probably is a small book at minimum though. Love the article as always.

Interesting article. I live in Syracuse NY where Crucible is located. Maybe if the world ever back to normal i can get a tour. Just a quick question, why the tungsten addition? I understand its place in the M series but what does it add to a stainless like that? I don't know if there is a quick simple answer but what are some basic ways that it could have been designed better? That probably is a small book at minimum though. Love the article as always.
I believe I have a paragraph on that topic in the M390 article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/06/01/m390-steel-history-and-properties-and-20cv-and-204p/

The short answer is there is no good reason for the tungsten to be there instead of Mo.

I believe I have a paragraph on that topic in the M390 article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/06/01/m390-steel-history-and-properties-and-20cv-and-204p/

The short answer is there is no good reason for the tungsten to be there instead of Mo.
Thanks. If you are ever up here in Syracuse look me up and I will buy you a beer or whatever as a token payback for asking all of these questions. I also wanted to say that in the last couple of years I have learned more about steel then I have learned in the last 20 years as a welder, instructor and now as a inspector. If I decide to sit for a welding engineer your book will be one of the first I review. If you ever had the desire to teach you would do well.

Another great article Larrin. I have a bar of this steel to try out, but can’t decide what to make with it. It’s perfect size for a 7-8” fighter, but not the best application for this steel.

Im finding I’m less impressed with these super high wear resistance steels. I like the thinner geometry the vanadium tool steels allow.

I know that I am going down a rabbit hole again, but.... From your testing you have proved that a thinner edge has better edge retention so long as it doesn't fail at the intended purpose. It would seem to me that there is a point where the lack of toughness requires a thicker edge and that in turn negates the increased wear resistance.

I know that I am going down a rabbit hole again, but.... From your testing you have proved that a thinner edge has better edge retention so long as it doesn't fail at the intended purpose. It would seem to me that there is a point where the lack of toughness requires a thicker edge and that in turn negates the increased wear resistance.
Yes

What do you think about this ceramic ? I have used several ceramic knives in kitchen /in past/ only the handles are left .This one on video looks like much better ?
There is not enough information in the video to say anything about it.

Back