M43 after CAK: Help decide on multi functional knife

You said it Sir!
"Everyone has their opinion!"

My friend is finding it difficult to decide. So many options. All excellent blades. But: The more he looks into HI the more confident he is that an M43 over 30 oz is the way to go. It's all good.
I knew your opinion was already there without anyone else's help!
That's exactly the way I was...
Time and experience, creates wisdom!
I hope you don't end up with "meat cleavers" like I did!!!
Enjoy your journey!

Would you say the M43 30 oz is a meat cleaver Mr Azar? (Or a CAK for that matter?) My CAK has proven to be a brute chopper. In terms of chopping I believe the heavier M43 (18" that is) is close to the CAK (even though my CAK is just 16.5"). I just want him to have a versatile chopper/weapon...

My head says "no hurry - watch for a DOTD"...
His (friend's) heart - now that's another matter ;): currently M43 heavy

Thanks for the advice warning me against meat cleavers! I spent almost all day on the HI website. (Serious case of HIKV!) Maybe the lightweight M43s will be worth waiting for! Friend wants heavyweight M43 asap...as usual I'm taking the time to pull the trigger.

Meat cleavers make good choppers. Your friend will have a great chopper if he goes over 30. Weather he'll be able to chop for long stretches remains a question. But now days long stretches probably aren't required.

I don't add weapon to the Khukri equation myself. It's hard to please both chopping desire and weapon desire in one blade.
If your chopping and suddenly need a weapon, you'll make it work. If your spoiling for a knife fight get something light.

Very few around here can settle for just one anyhow, so you and your friend will end up probably with several and that's about 80 percent of the fun. You'll eventually find out what you really like and what works best for you.

If you end up with a box of cleavers, it'll be a nice box of cleavers regardless.

True that Sir. My first HI, a 16.5" CAK (and cleaver of many meats, usually edible) is 32.6 Oz. It has proven itself as a brute chopper and eats my lesser khuks, of which there are a couple, for breakfast. We're talking Indian wood here: bamboo, sisal, mango and teak. Probably more. No wood is safe. Such is the heft and balance of the Purna blade that it feels amazingly light in the hand. Zombies such as they are have given my hillslopes a wide berth. So far. So you're right: I never once thought the CAK was lacking in the slaying department.

Last edited:
I really don't consider 32-33oz too heavy. My CAK is probably one of my favorites also made by Purna.

.... My first HI, a 16.5" CAK (and cleaver of many meats, usually edible) is 32.6 Oz. It has proven itself as a brute chopper and eats my lesser khuks, of which there are a couple, for breakfast. We're talking Indian wood here: bamboo, sisal, mango and teak. Probably more. No wood is safe. Such is the heft and balance of the Purna blade that it feels amazingly light in the hand.... I never once thought the CAK was lacking in the slaying department.

If your friend has had an opportunity to handle your CAK, and if he still wants something bigger and heavier, then he should go for an 18" M43. There is no one-size-fits-all for these blades. Some people are a lot bigger, stronger and fitter than others and can handle a blade that might be too heavy for most people. Some are gluttons for punishment and just want the biggest, heaviest blade that they can fit in the back of their pickup truck without blowing a tire.

It also depends on the expected usage. A good bit of advice is to pick a blade that is best suited (for the physical capabilities of the owner) to the main use that he expects. It might end up being overly heavy for self-defense, but to fend off the occasional attacker any sharp piece of steel will work in a pinch. It might end up being too lightweight to chop down trees and build a log cabin, but how often do most people do that? There's always an axe or chainsaw that can be deployed for a once-in-a-while project.

If your friend does not live near you and has not had a chance to handle your CAK for purposes of comparison, he might be subject to a common misconception. HI blades are enormously strong, thick and heavy compared to most blades, and newcomers are likely to buy a first khukuri that is too heavy for them and will end up as a display piece. Or it could serve as healthy exercise and help the owner to become stronger in the wrist and forearm. That's what happened with my first khukuri.

If your friend has had an opportunity to handle your CAK, and if he still wants something bigger and heavier, then he should go for an 18" M43. There is no one-size-fits-all for these blades. Some people are a lot bigger, stronger and fitter than others and can handle a blade that might be too heavy for most people. Some are gluttons for punishment and just want the biggest, heaviest blade that they can fit in the back of their pickup truck without blowing a tire.

It also depends on the expected usage. A good bit of advice is to pick a blade that is best suited (for the physical capabilities of the owner) to the main use that he expects. It might end up being overly heavy for self-defense, but to fend off the occasional attacker any sharp piece of steel will work in a pinch. It might end up being too lightweight to chop down trees and build a log cabin, but how often do most people do that? There's always an axe or chainsaw that can be deployed for a once-in-a-while project.

If your friend does not live near you and has not had a chance to handle your CAK for purposes of comparison, he might be subject to a common misconception. HI blades are enormously strong, thick and heavy compared to most blades, and newcomers are likely to buy a first khukuri that is too heavy for them and will end up as a display piece. Or it could serve as healthy exercise and help the owner to become stronger in the wrist and forearm. That's what happened with my first khukuri.
Well said David!

Thanks David. No worries that an M43 might be a little too much blade for the gentleman in question. Lets call him JD, from Canada. That said he is yet to explore the capabilities of my CAK or any other HI blade as far as I know.
HI blades are enormously strong, thick and heavy compared to most blades, and newcomers are likely to buy a first khukuri that is too heavy for them and will end up as a display piece. Or it could serve as healthy exercise and help the owner to become stronger in the wrist and forearm.
I would like to sincerely hope it's the latter.
Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
So after many emails to Auntie and much reflection I decided to pull the trigger and get an M43 for myself. Turns out she had a sweet 33oz (Edit: Just weighed mine with my digital scale, it's actually 31 Oz.) Kumar (horn handle) tucked away. I own multiple khukuris but never had one with a horn handle. Now since she doesn't ship to India it will first need to visit the Great White North (Canadian friend) and if all goes well with Canadian Customs (another story) and said friend carries it to India (more Customs) will it darken my doorway.

After reading much praise about the M43 I am excited! Now the waiting...

Last edited:
So after many emails to Auntie and much reflection I decided to pull the trigger and get an M43 for myself. Turns out she had a sweet 33oz Kumar (horn handle) tucked away. I own multiple khukuris but never one with a horn handle. Now since she doesn't ship to India it will first need to visit the Great White North (Canadian friend) and if all goes well with Canadian Customs (another story) and said friend carries it to India (more Customs) will it darken my doorway.

After reading much praise about the M43 I am excited! Now the waiting...
What is the length?

I understand Kumar is among the most experienced and respected kami's. As someone relatively new to this forum could someone perhaps shed some light on his background? From previous posts I believe he left and then returned to HI. I know his mark is the star of David.

I understand Kumar is among the most experienced and respected kami's. As someone relatively new to this forum could someone perhaps shed some light on his background? From previous posts I believe he left and then returned to HI. I know his mark is the star of David.

I believe Kumar is the younger brother of Sher (the Tiger) Kami. They both go way back, as you can see from browsing the HI web site. Both of them left HI for a few years, going off to other countries to seek their fortunes. Both of them returned to HI a couple of years ago, then Sher left again and is currently elsewhere.

Kumar has been with HI long enough to have at least two models named after him: the Kumar Kobra, and the Kumar Karda. Although all HI kamis are very experienced and excellent bladesmiths, forumites have favorites. Mine are Bura, Sher, Purna and Kumar. Of these four, only Kumar is currently working at HI. (Yangdu is still selling some Purna knives, but either those are blades left over from when he departed, or maybe he's sending HI a few knives that he makes wherever he currently resides.)

Thanks David for the timely information. Do you possess an M43? If yes who is the Kami, and could I request a photo of the M43, thanks in advance.

ECFF0AAB-22A3-4BF1-8968-6E6CE74CDCB8.jpeg B9F3D29F-BCB0-4ADD-BDCA-CBA5F9E76292.jpeg
Found my 4th M43 by Lachhu that weighs 27.95oz and 18” long. Another light to mid weight! Yay!! I love these much better than the heavy weights! I have a CAK for heavyweight use!

Thanks David for the timely information. Do you possess an M43? If yes who is the Kami, and could I request a photo of the M43, thanks in advance.

I have a couple of HI M43s, and a couple of WWII vintage M43s. However, my old computer hard drive died last week, and while I have the new PC up and running I haven't yet recovered all the data, including knife photos. If you ask me again in a couple of weeks I will be happy to oblige.

I have a couple of HI M43s, and a couple of WWII vintage M43s. However, my old computer hard drive died last week, and while I have the new PC up and running I haven't yet recovered all the data, including knife photos. If you ask me again in a couple of weeks I will be happy to oblige.
Done deal! Thanks David.

Back