M43 handle modifications

Rusty

When I first got the M43 it had a rsther straight handle on it. Not the hanshee look I've associated with the originals. So I took my time and gradually filed the metal and wood on it to the graceful curve of the originals.

After a couple months, though I loved the fit of the curved top and backstraps to my hand, it didn't feel right. It felt very very good, but it was like some index was missing. After getting the oversized BAS and the 15" AK blem, I realized what it was. The M43 was missing the normal raised ring. The Bas and AK had it and I knew where my hand was by where the ring hit my fingers. They didn't feel as good as the M43, but they indexed the rest of the knife for me.

Back to the file. One ring vertically notched deeply and then blended backward toward the buttcap. Will do the 45 degree front part of the large ring later. And then probably the other thin and shallow forwrd rings later. But for now, it still feels the best of any of my khuk handles due to the peacemaker type curve that settles in your hand. But now it instantly and automatically indexes by touch. Were I to grab it in the dark of midnight with no moon to see anything I'd know where her point was within a fraction of an inch. Ooooh baby, it just keeps on getting better and better for us! :) :) :)

No camera and even less ability. Will make a try at getting a pic up after it's finished and prettied up though.;)

Back