Machete handle shaping

Do you reshape the basic Imacasa injected polypropylene handle of the style shown? Since the blade requires work before use perhaps work on the handle is intended too?

X4u1i13.jpeg

only thing I'd do is add hockey tape to make sure it doesn't slip out.

maybe sand down that sharp 90 degree corner at the butt end on top

The only thing I'll do to those is just use a cabinet scraper to flush the seam down smooth. They don't really need any work, and that one little step is just a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have".

My eBay purchase arrived with a textured handle. It feels like a recipe for blisters. At least I intend to file off the texture where the thumb and index finger pivot. Should I file off the rest as well?

How you contend with it will depend on the nature of the handle. Any pics?

Ah--it's one of THOSE ones. After rasping it down to the degree you want, lightly (LIGHTLY) fan it with a propane torch to flame-polish the plastic back to smooth.

I filed away the front half of the texture and then sanded all of it with P800. It feels a lot better now. Am I missing something if I don't flame polish it, or was that just to save some sanding?

I would lightly sand or scrape that mold mark off and leave it. Hockey tape, checkering, grooves, and finger dips just raise blisters, unless you're wearing gloves, or have calluses from lots of use.
Axe handles and most tool handles are pretty smooth for similar reasons.

I filed away the front half of the texture and then sanded all of it with P800. It feels a lot better now. Am I missing something if I don't flame polish it, or was that just to save some sanding?

It simultaneously knocks down all of the high/thin points that are likely to cause the most hotspots and also restores a smooth finish to the plastic.

I find gloves greatly interfere with optimum machete technique for me. Feels like I'm working 3 times as hard and with less dexterity when using them. Can't get that same effortless snap of the fingers with the same degree of control or safety.

I’m just used to them, I guess. I often pull some tension on a blackberry stem or move it to a better angle with my free hand. If I entered a thicket without gloves, I better be carrying 2 boxes of Bandaids.

And heavy denim or canvas trousers. My old buddy Larry used to clear brush wearing shorts, always got his legs all scratched up.

So Benjamin, do you accept postal money orders as payment in your store? I’d like to get a Bull Thistle stone from you and some other stuff, but have no online payment accounts.

Parker

You may find this handy!

And yes we accept money orders but prefer personal checks since we can digitally deposit those. But it's best to email us first so we can confirm in-stock quantities and manually remove them from inventory to reserve them for you/give you directions on how to make out the check/where to send it.

Excellent! I also carry a file in my pocket, but it’s kinda hard on the pocket. That’s why I want to try the stone and one of those holders you have.

I’ll send you an email early next week. Thanks.

Parker

Back